gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  gusset 3pc cranks... pigs ear
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: gusset 3pc cranks... pigs ear  (Read 905 times)

brettnai

gusset 3pc cranks... pigs ear
« on: October 10, 2007, 07:32 PM »
I'm having  complete nightmare trying to fit some gussett cranks to my current build. Both Harris and Madd Dogg have very kindly and patiently talked me though it and I know exactly what needs doing but the crank arms just won't tighten up enough on the spindle, its just too tight a fit, especially the non driveside

anyone had similar problems? and got any solutions... i'm close to scrapping the whole lot
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:48 PM by brettnai »

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: gusset 3pc cranks... pigs ear
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58 PM »
 :)I recently fitted a set of these and they were a real bitch to fit compared to Profiles,or any other multi-splined crank that I have ever owned.I just calmed down and used loads of grease and took it slowly,then it seemed to go ok.Give me a shout if you get stuck .

James

Take care-if you knacker the splines you`ll be screwed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:13 PM by HEYWOOD BMX »

motomagII

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:42 PM »
firstly have u fitted the correct tube spacer on the axle inside the bb set .secondly have you tried adding extra spacer washers to the axle after the bearings b4 the crank arms are fitted .im sure it will just need spacers fitting on

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 09:28 PM »
get a small brass brush (like a wire brush but made with brass wire) and clean the splined spindle and insides of cranks and then coat using a light oil, should go on easier after that  :daumenhoch:

:) DINGO :)

brettnai

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:08 PM »
cheers guys
i've tried all of the above pretty much and i'm still about an inch away on the non drive side and can tighten anymore... many i just need more visit to the gym!

cheers anyway

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:05 PM »
get some pics up!

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Brett,

You've probably already got this covered, but make sure you've got the threads of the spindle bolts nicely lubed up cos when they're getting tight, the friction between the threads on the bolt and the threads on the inside of the spindle can get real high.

At the same time, if the drilled and tapped (threaded) holes in the spindle for the bolts are too full of grease, then you'll get what's called a "hydraulic lock", where the free area inside the spindle below the bolt is filled with grease with nowhere to go, and that bugger of a bolt will never tighten up no matter how big a torque you put on it.

This may be way off, but it's worth checking out in there with an old spoke or something.

:daumenhoch:

Brian.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:31 AM »
this may be talkin bollox as ive never owned any gusset cranks so don't shoot me for statin the obvious, but is the spindle the correct way round as some are specific to each arm.

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 01:01 PM »
 :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1:

WHIOS GONNNA SHOOT IM 1ST

HA HA HA HA :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  gusset 3pc cranks... pigs ear

gfxgfx
gfx gfx