gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset size ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset size ?  (Read 497 times)

brettnai

Headset size ?
« on: September 22, 2007, 01:12 PM »

Right...

I have a few hours to kill this morning so was going to start to put a few bits together for my Bully Hotrod.

I've just gone to fit the bottom race onto the forks and it slipped right on... no bashing required... does this mean I've got the wrong size?
I had a real struggle getting the race on my Streetbeat forks so surely this cant be right.

B

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Headset size ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Nope not the wrong size at all, out of curiosity what headset is it?  In my experience it is n ot unusual to find that the bottom race on the forks is either too loose or too tight.  Try wrapping some electrical tape around the fork and then putting the race over that.  Alternatively if it is really loose you may have to make a small shim up from some tin (coke cans are good for this).

Marty  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

brettnai

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Hey Cheers Marty

I think its fine, I used some tape just to fix it in place and it seems fine. I think the only reason I had so much trouble with my streetbeat was the fact it was new forks and freshly powdered so a bit tight to get a race on for the first time.

the problem i have now is the forks are too long so i need to get a flex fighter. I remember you had one on your elf.
dont suppose you got one knocking about? a 1/2" rise ?

B

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 03:36 PM »
None going spare but I do have some 1" spacers about 5mm high in red or blue kicking around somewhere; they might be useful  :-\

brettnai

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 03:42 PM »
cheers anyway mate
i need something black or silver and the more i look at it the mo I think it needs to be nearer 1" high

there's some haro flex fighters on ebay but a bit pricey

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 04:01 PM »
Sounds like you might to trim the fork steerer instead  :-\

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:41 AM »
cheers anyway mate
i need something black or silver and the more i look at it the mo I think it needs to be nearer 1" high

there's some haro flex fighters on ebay but a bit pricey
Go to your local shop that sells road bikes, some of them still use 1" headsets and spacers so will no doubt have some in a box that will be cheap  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset size ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx