gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  I'm new here! and i don't know where to start...help!! :)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I'm new here! and i don't know where to start...help!! :)  (Read 1871 times)

NICKYSPLENDID

I'm new here! and i don't know where to start...help!! :)
« on: November 16, 2005, 10:04 AM »
I'm itching to sort myself out with a bmx..back in the day i had a Diamond back viper and i was king of the estate.
Now i want to buy/built a bike - old school all the way. Until i started looking into the whole idea i hoped that i'd be able to find bargains everywhere and people with mongoose and diamond back etc in their sheds glad to get shot of them. Gutting eh!!

So basically i'm not sure what to do...should i scour the local ads/ebay for a cheapy that would need loads of restoration or should i buy something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7197090417&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT
and go for a total new build ..obviously at a much greater expense.

ps...what do you guys think of the new mongoose replica?

all advice much appreciated.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: I'm new here! and i don't know where to start...help!! :)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:13 AM »
i like restoring so id say do that, you get the satisfaction, and get to personalise it, but the down side is u usually spend more cash than u expect.
depends whether u want a show bike or a rider too.
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:21 AM »
hey nicky!!!
avoid that trickstar II monster, but the other hutch looks cool!!!

its always nice to find the used old bike though, and repaint / repolish to make it look good again.

scouring the classifieds is a good bet. one day you will drop on.

as for the new mongoose replica? um, its ok i guess. seems a little pointless to me though.
i really like the old mongooses. that replica seems a bit of mish mash between 70's and early 80's goosage.

the original ones aren't too hard to get hold of.  but that said it is a limited production, and will probably be a collectors item!!

dont let my pickynes put you off though!

NICKYSPLENDID

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:59 AM »
I've got a potential offer on a super tuff burner...hmmm.
or there's a hutch pro raider on ebay.

i wasn't much of a raleigh burner fan as a kid...but it's tempting - as i recall it was gold with black skyways.

i'm really tempted to go for a new build.
What's the crack with all the NOS gear? where are they getting it from?

the pro racer frame looks lush.

is there any sense in going for a new bmx and making it look old skool? or would i be kidding myself??

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:03 AM »
grab that burner if the price is right - some choice components (the wheels)

they aint so nice to ride though. not as an adult.

the NOS stuff comes from the bike shops that had a load of stock left over when the "bubble burst" towards the end of eighties. here and in the US. its suddenly worth something again!!!

getting a new bike and giving it an old school twist can be good.
you just gotta experiment!!

greentoad

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 11:12 AM »
Hi

I'd buy a cheap hack for some fun now and to make sure that it's you want, then build to your own style.

You could always get an un-painted beat for a very cheap price (check out the other threads) and start collecting the parts for a few months whilst still riding a cheap ride.

;)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 02:07 PM »
If you want to a superb start to a Diamond Back then follow this link, Cider (Jon) is selling a gorgeous Diamond Back frame and forks.  Would be a stunning build.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=4172.0

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Do yourself a favor, wait. Think about the bike you want and try not to jump in and spend a bomb on a bike you'll end up wishing you hadn't and won't be able to get your money back when you try to sell it on to get the bike you wish you'd gone for in the first place.

Keep your eye on ebay, bargains come up all the time and diamond backs are a common bike so you shouldn't have to wait months. As has already been said there's always the retro mongoose from www.alansbmx.com if he hasn't already sold out.

;)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 06:07 PM »
as bob says wait and keep a eye on the rad for sale board as better bargain here than ebay and cheaper .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

NICKYSPLENDID

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 07:06 PM »
i must admit i've been a bit like a bull in a china shop...
i've been spreading the word in work and family etc to keep an eye out.
one woman has a 38 yr old son who had a mongoose way back and still has it in the shed!!

i've got my fingers crossed.

the tuff burner was a no-go. the guy wanted to keep it..fair enough.

there's a mag burner for sale in the local ads for £99...i reckon it's a bit pricey..what do u reckon. it's a blue and yellow one.

there's an awesome pro raider on ebay..

i'm taking heed on all the advice here and i'm gonna try and get a cheapy for the time being.

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 07:38 PM »
there's a mag burner for sale in the local ads for £99...i reckon it's a bit pricey..what do u reckon. it's a blue and yellow one.

unless you are a burner fan it aint worth that

maybe not even if you are!!!

the burners (for me) that are worth grabbing are the ultras and super tuffs (or the aero pro!!!)

go check that goose
sounds good!!!
find out which model it is. if it's a grand prix it better be cheap.

if it's a super, pro class or cali, ave IT

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 09:07 PM »
my mate has just picked up a burner with skyways for a tenner. 99 is a bit pricey unless you really like them or it is immaculate.

100 quid will get you a half decent oldschool bike in my opnion, if you keep your eyes open and wait a bit.
I want to touch ORB

NICKYSPLENDID

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 09:26 PM »
when i was a nipper my mate had a mongoose (all yellow - skyways and all - wicked) and i had a diamond back.
we both thought that the burners minged....so i'm reluctant to go down the burner road, although for a tenner i'd bite the guys hand off.

i noticed a rather fetching GT Vertigo on the "bay"....i found some reviews that say it's not such a good bike..heavy etc.

theRuler

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 10:14 AM »
old school heavy aint nothing like new school heavy!!!

it'll be fine!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 11:27 AM »
NICKYSPLENDID -

I would wait and build the bike that you had BITD - it'll mean more to you when it's finished then. There are loads of nice bikes out there, but none will bring back the memories quite like your old ride.

My advice would be to find some old pics of it, then focus yourself on re-creating the same bike.

I've just been through the same process with my Pro Performer, and belive me, I wasted some money on stuff that looked sweet but just wasn't right for the bike.

As with anything in life, it's all in the planning. Get your wish-list together and then stick to it! Eventually, you will find exactly what you want.

Hey, why not build the wish-list and then post it in the Wanted section...you'll be amazed what other members have in their sheds!

Good luck!

Dave

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  I'm new here! and i don't know where to start...help!! :)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx