gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 12:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  u.s postage
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: u.s postage  (Read 601 times)

singlefin70

u.s postage
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:05 PM »
anyone know or had any dealing with getting bikes sent from the states?i heard it ends up with a duty tax or somethin and not worth it,even if u can get the seller to go through with the hassle,the amount of items i see are driving me nuts!!!i guess you can receive smaller items but whole bikes sounds like a different ball game.......

easyroller

Re: u.s postage
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:02 PM »
        now i don't live in the uk so taxes, i am not familiar with, but freight is usually between 150 us to 200 us depending greatly on how they pack it.  i have gotten 6 bikes from US to norway over the last five years (which is dearer than UK) and as far as taxs go i believe all  european taxes are basic value added tax up here its 25 percent.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 If the seller is an agreeable chap you can get em to mark it as a present with a big birthday card slapped on the side,and you don't have to pay tax ,which worked once for me, or pay for item in two seperate payments one large and one small and ask seller not to send a detailed invoice with the item just details of who  the sender is and what it is (used bicycle parts), then customs will contact you and ask for proof of purchase which you promptly fax to them,a receipt of the smaller amount (must clearly match senders name) of course and say thats the only document that you have, but you can contact seller for additional proof of purchase if need be , has worked for me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         But beware of bidding on the bay over there as sellers often try to pull one over on you ,a good site to visit is usps.com they have rates posted for every country just to get a rough idea of if your being gipped or not, i have to say that in my cases its been worth it as norway is shit expensive and they don't stock anything good  but check your local prices add the freight 75-100 quid and 20 something percent duty might be worth your while might not ,good luck.

Superkav

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:21 PM »
Standard air freight rates to the UK are about $50 for a frame and forks. if you go cheaper and get it sent by land theres a good chance you'll never actually see what you buy as I and many of the guys on here will testify to, and no it's not because we work at customs ;D

Bear in mind with the dollar at 2 for a quid it's cheap as chips now to buy from the US

singlefin70

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 07:21 PM »
so i guess its best to message a seller to ask if they are prepared to send but what would be the best way of getting it sorted,i do nt mind paying 50$ but who would organise it,me or the seler in u.s'thanks

Superkav

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 10:37 AM »
As long as the seller will actually send to the UK then once you've paid them they are the only ones who can do it if you think about it.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  u.s postage

gfxgfx
gfx gfx