gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ashtabula "Goose" neck stem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ashtabula "Goose" neck stem  (Read 830 times)

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Ashtabula "Goose" neck stem
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Hey guys,

Just bought an Ashtabula gooseneck stem for an old build I'm doing. It needs to hold a set of V Bars. But looking at the stem, how the hell do you get a set of bars through it??? I'm either dim or need to use some kinda Jedi Mind trick to get any bars on this sucka!!!!
It can be done as you only have to look at all the Old school mongoose builds that use this kind of stem!!

Any ideas???

Cheers

John

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Ashtabula "Goose" neck stem
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:33 AM »
The ends of the x-bar have to be flat to allow the bars to pass through the stem  :daumenhoch:

Steve

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:35 AM »
without the flat on the x bar its gonna be case of prying open the stem to get the bars in - but i don't recommend that at all   :(

def need to look for some with the little flat bit on  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:38 AM »
Have a look at the bars on this mini-goose, this is what your bars need to look like - they need pinched tubing at either end of the cross-bar.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Shit!!!!

Thanks for the info guys. The bars I have are Scorpion V bars (not unlike Redline V's) as I'm building up an old Sentinel Exploder (Scorpion). I'm pretty sure the pics I have of the bike in an old advert from OBMX magazine No2 show it having an ashtabula goose neck... so it looks like a prizing open job which I don't fancy at all... gulp!!

Cheers guys

John

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 02:19 PM »
IF that portion of the stem is plate steel,it may just work,if its cast it will probably fracture-be careful John.

Dave.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ashtabula "Goose" neck stem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx