gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 10:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  2 tracks in Nottingham?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2 tracks in Nottingham?  (Read 11782 times)

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
2 tracks in Nottingham?
« on: October 27, 2005, 03:10 PM »
ok.  Been on here ALL day  :o  Got to thinking a lot about the old days.  Am I right in thinking there were actually 2 tracks in Nottingham.  I know the one at the stadium...actually managed to obtain some footage of me racing there at the PUCH club championships....but I seem to remember going to another track in Nottingham and the coach going up a steep winding hill?!?  Or was it possibly Birmingham, know there was a few tracks there.

jon016847

Re: 2 tracks in Nottingham?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Lots of tracks in and around Bitrmingham, but I dont remebr what the approach to them was like, I don;t think i ever raced in Nottingham ?

Any one ??????

Geth

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 03:22 PM »
No winding hills to a track in Nottingham.
Here's the Colwick stadium track in Nottingham -

Left to right (the ones I know) -

Gary Llewellyn, Melanie Vauvelle, John Bicknell, Frankie Romain, Jamie Vince, Mark (Siddy) Salisbury, Pete Middleton.

I'll try and dig one out of the other Nottingham track (Bulwell)

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Hmm. 

But there was 2 tracks in Nottingham then?

Yep...seen that pic on another thread a while ago...it's the place I have footage of

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:10 PM »
Yep the other track in Nottingham was at Bullwell - I have some pics at home somewhere

Geth

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Here's a pic of me racing at the "other" Nottingham track at Bulwell.
This is a NBMXA national in '84.

Here's the people I think left to right -

Pete Dymott?, me (168), Mike Brown (Halfords) behind me, 368 Phil? Green (Curtis rider I think)

On the gate left to right -

Darren Bullock (Vector), ?, Anthony Butt (Butty! on BH), Simon Bailey (Hutch), Richard Thorner (CW), Tony Holland (Robinson)

On the right in stripy coat is Ted Eason - Lee Eason's dad from Congleton

The first people in the crowd (blue coat) is Dale Holmes' dad John and looking round him is Dale's mum Val!!!

Remember any of these names anyone?

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Reckon that might just be the other place I went...Outlaws sounds familiar.

You know...I thought I had lots of pics but there isn't that many really and they are mostly all just from regionals  :(  Good to see all these pics coming out, keep 'em coming!

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 09:51 AM »
I Remember Darren Bullock(Vector) and Simon Bailey(ex Falcon then Hutch) us younger guys used to look up to them. I also remember Geth Shooter(met him just before he hit the big time) Tony Weston, Steve Bigland(Halfords Wilson) and Paul Wright(GT). I was just a newbie riding a Torker 280 in the 16s. I Rode at Bullwell on the infamous Unfinished business National meeting, it was my 2nd ever race meeting. It was (if i remember) the first time we got to see Tim March and Andy Ruffell go at it until it got too dark. I made the quarter finals after racing well in the motos and remember staring at Craig Schofield and Tony Holland in awe next to me on the gate. I was fifth in the last straight and needed fourth to make the semis but i hooked up trying to take fourth place over the last set of doubles and crashed :\ I still have the chip in my elbow too :) ;D
 Great days... i intend to relive them and am in training for this summer... i hope i am ready(injuries and all)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 10:08 AM »
God those pics bring back memories :D
I used to work as a Saturday lad at Bunneys and we built that track sooo many years ago (its still there but in a crappy form)
Before it was called Nottingham Outlaws it was called Bunneys Burners
I remember some of the Diamond Back team doing 360's out of the back of the second berm and thought it was REALLY cool (I was a big DB fan back in the day)
Thanks for the memories Geth
 :) DINGO :)

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 11:16 AM »
The Bullwell track was a cool track, it snaked downhill.
Start straight.....mini tabletop ........ long double left hander...drop off into a 180 right hander sweeping down and straight into the big tabletop...left hander 180 into finish straight... set of doubles near the line...... You didnt want to get it wrong and end up over the top of the first turn, the drop was humungous. It reminded me a bit of the track at Gainsborough(Toms Tigers?) that track was quick... Most of my racing was done at Don Raceway(Hexthorpe) and Bessecar Buccaneers(Cantley).

Geth

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Hello FuNMoNsTeR.
Who are you?
Sounds like an east midlands guy!

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 10:43 PM »
Hey There... My name is Andy, i am from Doncaster. I only raced a few NBMXA meets over the course of a year in 1984. I raced on a stock Torker 280 and later bought my first Hutch Pro Racer from Simon Bailey. I have been riding now for 25 years on and off and get some nice comments when they see a near 40 year old guy bunny hopping kurbs etc on his way through town ;D.
  I would spend a lot of my time during 1983 and 1984 riding Hexthorpe or Cantley track and hang out in Brian Hempsalls shop BJ Cycles on Netherhall Road.

davemac1974

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 11:27 PM »
I remember going to watch at Bunneys when I was a kid (I was only 10 in '84) and only had a crappy bike anyway.

Bulwell was only down the road from where I grew up so was easy to get to. I believe it was rebuilt & re-opened last year...can anyone confirm??? I'm a little further away these days, but would love a trip down there  :santa_cool:

Geth

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 11:59 PM »
Hi Andy. I popped my racing cherry at Hexthorpe! Steve Gratton was the starter back then.
Seemed to spend a lot of time up around Donny for a couple of years. My sister was seeing one of the Blinkhorns....remember those?

Dave...Bulwell track is re-opened but is in a pretty poor state. Needs some serious work doing to it to make it a credible track.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Steve Gratton... Yes i remember Steve. A Demon Skater too back in the day and he rode BMX for Cobra if i remember. He was very influential in getting BMX on the map in this area(as were many others Brian Hempsall for one). I was in the same age group as Lee his brother. I had my first race at Stainforth against Lee.. Steve was the starter there that day too.. We had to race the guys a year older too to make up the numbers... I got smoked...lol. Hexthorpe track is still there...60% of it. They have built a new track the other side of the park from the old track. I took the GT there and gave it a rip.... I frightened myself to death to be honest...everything was doubles or triples.... none of your speed jumping malarky ;)
  The Blinkhorns.... I do remember that name very well but i dont think i knew the guys personally.
  I would love to ride Bullwell again... I have just sold my 83 GT rider :'( and my beloved profile box cranks and hutch beartraps so i have no finished ride at the moment. As soon as i do tho...im there. I am building a Diamond Back HL Turbo and a Vector mark 2 at the moment. I also have an 81 Silver Streak on its way from the states, it wont be too long before i am back in the saddle.
  I am new to this site and new to the re-kindled scene.. i have heard there is an oldschool series!? Is this true?

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Funmonster if you fancy riding Bulwell I am sure we will be able to find you a new school bike to ride
 :) DINGO :)

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 08:19 PM »
Some pics of the Doncaster tracks I found today from 1984 ......

Cantley Park (Bessacarr?) - Very flat track

And I think this is Hexthorpe but I knew it as Don Raceway???

Geth

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 10:08 PM »
Nice pics of the Donny tracks! Got any more?

I got this recent pic of Hexthorpe from someone a while ago - can't remember who or where from. Maybe I stole it from a post!!?

Taken from the top of the start hil..................

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 06:35 AM »
Yep...thats what Hexthorpe(Don Raceway) looks like today... Richard Attenborough country :)
That shot of Cantley track is cool...Home of Bessecar Buccaneers. I jumped over six stacked tyres off that first speed jump.
  I couldnt ride Bullwell on a new school ride... I cant get on with new BMXs... Diddy bars... heavy weight...... they make me feel frail. :LolLolLolLol:
  It wont be long before i am back in the saddle... my piles need a kashimax work out anyway :o :LolLolLolLol:

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 01:34 PM »
You should check Hexthorpes new track...Its scary, i will try to get some pics soon, my dad lives about 2 minutes from there. I think its Regional or National Standard too :santa_afro:

Geth

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 02:06 PM »
I couldnt ride Bullwell on a new school ride... I cant get on with new BMXs... Diddy bars... heavy weight...... they make me feel frail. :LolLolLolLol:

You're thinking of freestyle bikes.

Modern race bikes are light as hell (lighter than old school bikes) and you can choose whatever bars you like to put on there.
Recommend S&M Slams or S&M race bars for the slightly higher and wider bars.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 06:15 PM »
I have ridden an FBM Angel of Death and a We The People. I think they were both freestyle/ramp  or dirtjumping bikes. The Angel of Death cost my mate £1,100 to build  :o  It weighed about 1100lb too lol
  I have seen the Ali framed new school race rides and those answer forks... certainly worth thinking about. I want to get my HL Turbo rider built. Or a Torker 280...i loved the short snappy rear end on that bike.

Geth

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Even freestyle bikes can be very light nowadays.
All depends how smooth you ride though!
Ti bits, milled out stems, multi butted frames, multi butted bars, fluted forks.
Sub 25lb is VERY achievable nowadays for a freestyle bike.

Gonna cost you a bob or two.............

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 07:34 PM »
The Ultra Burner weighed 25Lbs....he he he.
 I have been to Hexthorpe today and have taken a load of shots of the new track. I have tried to post them but the upload box is full :\  Anyone who is interested email me and i will send you the pics...I also noticed a mini track for newbies and a concrete clover leaf pool and an undervert concrete pool seperated by a nice spine.

Geth

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 10:22 PM »
The Ultra Burner weighed 25Lbs....he he he.

Believe me you couldn't do the things on an Ultra Burner that you can do on a modern bike!
I've had both. I know!

Ultra Burner 1982 -

Modern bike 2005 -

OH?! Maybe you can! :santa_cheesy: :santa_grin:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  2 tracks in Nottingham?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx