gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mx1000
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mx1000  (Read 816 times)

miggs

mx1000
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:51 PM »
well i got three mx 1000's that are in need of some resto work i was going to get them powdercoated in gloss black but the only trouble i have is the quick release mechanism

Is there any way i can remove this and refit once its coated or am i wasting my time

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: mx1000
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 05:13 PM »
I have a similar problem although I have already removed the quick release to do a Potts mod.  Depending on what you need to do to strip them in the first place it might just be possible to mask the quick release up. The powder coaters I have had stuff done at use high temperature tape for masking.

I am hoping that I can remake the rivit that holds it all on although I haven't got it anymore to use as a pattern. If I cant rivit it I will try using a small domed allen head bolt to attach it.

There was a thread on here a whilre ago about it, can't remember if there were any solutions.

miggs

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:48 PM »
thats what i was thinking about domed head but was wondering if anyone had done anything different

greentoad

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:01 PM »
Hi

Sand off the head and re-bolt. You can get these bolts, washers and nuts from cycle shops.

Hope this helps.

J.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:47 PM »
Just out of interest mate.......whats with the zip ties around the calipers and frame?  just never seen thst before??

highrisedrifter

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Just out of interest mate.......whats with the zip ties around the calipers and frame?  just never seen thst before??

I had the same BITD. I used the ties to stop the bolt breaking when the brakes were applied with force. As you know, the pads move slightly when you apply the brake. This can cause stress frractures on the caliper bolt.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 12:53 PM »
but surely the amount of flex backwards and forwards probably amounts the the same distance you need to allow the calipers to move into the rims?  hence not actually doing a thang?

highrisedrifter

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 12:56 PM »
I can see what you mean. The fowards and backwards caliper flex caused my bolt to snap every now and again. The ties stopped most of the forwards and backwards flex but still allowed my brakes to move in to the rim and out again. You're right though, there was still some forwards and backwards flex but not enough to put undue stress on the bolt.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 01:01 PM »
i see what you mean...........just never seen it before.  did it not mark your frame up after a while?

highrisedrifter

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 01:03 PM »
Yeah but I did it on a Super Tuff burner so who cares?  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 01:11 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mx1000

gfxgfx
gfx gfx