gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 07:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Another DB proto maybe?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Another DB proto maybe?  (Read 690 times)

db-oldskool

Another DB proto maybe?
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Hey guys.
I've been doin major work around the house lately,I needed a fairly big box to use for all the garbage.I went up into the attic cuz I keep a lot of empty boxes up there for shipping stuff,I remembered I had a DB frame in one of them.I bought it from a guy on OS about 18 months ago,I asked for a Streak f/f with no dings,cracks,rewelds & got this frame with a big ding in it.
I was pissed & just stuck it back in the box & shoved it into the attic,now I go up there to get the box cuz I remembered it was way too big for just a frame & this is what I noticed.
The serial almost matches the serial on my Sr Pro proto but it has one extra # in it,I got this before Sandy taught me how to decode serial #'s & didn't get the chance to show him before he passed away.

Ok so I checked it over,like the Sr Pro proto I have,this one has an unusual serial cuz it starts with VM.
I matched it to both the Sr Pro & Med Pro I have,it is identical to the Med Pro except it's chrome not candy blue.
19" TT with a serial of VM 00547,the Sr proto is VM 00 64 so the only major difference is the 5 in the middle?
Well that & all the mud in the headtube. ;D
But now that I think about it the gusset plate is normal where the Sr Pro proto gusset is different,maybe this is an early run after the proto but before the actual mass manufacturing? Sort of the factory rider test bike stage. :shocked:

This is the serial on the Sr Pro proto.

This is what a normal serial on any 79-84 DB should look like,my 80 Med Pro serial.
First is a number,then a letter,then four numbers & the baseball.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:49 PM by db-oldskool »

DR VINOAH

Re: Another DB proto maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:59 PM »
ken

you do find em and when you do

there always outstanding :4_17_5:

i go with the factory rider/pre production theory :coolsmiley:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Another DB proto maybe?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx