gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 03:51 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  shorty #1 now with added pix, woo hoo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: shorty #1 now with added pix, woo hoo  (Read 6843 times)

christhejob

shorty #1 now with added pix, woo hoo
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:12 AM »
it cost me an 84 sport but it's all about real bmx.. i'm picking up standard shorty production frame number 1 tonight  (the first batch out of waterford precision)
maybe needs a rechrome but i'm not bothered.  cool.  will post some photos tomorrow..................
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:54 AM by christhejob »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: shorty #1
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:13 AM »
you got it then   :4_17_5:  didnt think that would be long.
get them pics up   :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:22 AM »
Cant wait to see pics of it. Nice one Chris, a real find.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46 AM »
Ooooooo, that sounds an interesting one! Looking forward to seeing it!

YGT

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Many years ago there was a standard shorty (pre waterford) lurking arround in the canterbury area.
I was offered it many years ago but turned it down ( arround 1997? )

christhejob

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:12 AM »
the big q is build it or put the frame on the wall??  i don't know if i want the trauma of finding some threaded standard forks and a good stem..  i think i have most of the other bits..ish  (if vertically egged superpros count)  irrelevant as i can just about dress and wash at the moment.. shoulder operations are great!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 11:15 AM »
So even if you find wall mounting strong enough to hang it up, you wont be able to get it up there anyway!
 :LolLolLolLol:

christhejob

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 11:29 AM »
i'll be interested to weight it.. may have to get coach bolts!!

YGT

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 12:28 PM »
I have NOS 1" Standard forks in my collection .....
which I may be willing to trade or sell

christhejob

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 12:43 PM »
ooooh-errrrrrrrrr ygt!  may be in touch!
chris

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 02:58 PM »
Bloody hell Mark - you got everything!!!  :daumenhoch:

christhejob

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 07:10 PM »
just got it. ahhhhh it's like being 21 and in iowa again!
it's going on the wall!
pictures demain mes mid-ecole amis!

ps from standards piss-poor number stamping you may not believe it is number 1, but i know it is  :laugh:

Steve Shindig

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 07:58 PM »
You got no.1?  thats chicken oriental.

Lazarou

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 09:14 PM »
I used to have a Shorty with the number 10 on the BB, does yours have the weird straight chainstays?

rory

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 09:33 PM »
chris , i remember your post mentioning the no1, well done for tracking it down,
ygt , i remember that shorty, think that one went to the crusher by now, what happened to the squatters  shorty :)

christhejob

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 10:33 PM »
lazarou. yes the weird straight stays it is... in fact i remember when me and will evans were at standard (when he got this one) they said that one of these first batch of frames had been ordered by someone in the uk.. i guess that was you.. come on, who are you, i am clueless!!

christhejob

Re: shorty #1 now with added pix, woo hoo
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 09:57 AM »
i would use my slr but i can't focus it, hoho.  the chrome is  a bit pitted, the number 1 is out of focus, what do you expect from someone who writes for ride?!?
anyway it's going on the wall as is. screw restoration, it looks like a 13 year old standard should look.. worn but perfect shape!
on my salter's kitchen scales it is maxed at 7lb5oz.  click the thumbnails for full size!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 10:04 AM »
Nice - a bit of autosol and chuck it on the wall!  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Good stuff. That frame changed BMX totally and was so important when it came out. I never liked the dropouts. I was always a fan of cutting them back so nothing was below the peg. I did love the headtube and BB gusset and the way they made the frame look solid! I came really close to getting a lengthy, but I stuck with the S&M in the end!

christhejob

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 09:47 PM »
there was that whole massive s&m / standard divide in the UK for some reason, haha.  I know what you mean about those dropouts alex, no room for shrinkage!!
i tell you what, the day i put my lengthy together (or should i say days, it was hard work) i knew after 10 years of riding i had a real bmx at last.. everything else before, haro, GT, homeless, acorn(!), total jokes.  standard did change bmx for the better!  anyway go watch BLADES OF GLORY. it rules.

rory

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 09:52 PM »
i went through a dirt bike and a holmes before i bought my sta , its had 10 years of trail and park riding and still feels the same as day one .
i dont know whats best , both are good for all the right reasons, get that shorty built chris :) :) :)

YGT

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 10:05 PM »
i went through a dirt bike and a holmes before i bought my sta

and an elf doublecross :)

bsdforever

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 11:57 AM »
what a find!

I remember Bulge from Aberdeen and Colin from Shetland coming back from Standard in 1993, they had some of those first batch of shorty frames, so heavy and the chrome was so rough

they tried to convince me that heavy was the way to go, I could see it was stronger but why would anyone would ever want such a heavy bike? by then I was riding an S&M dirtbike

christhejob

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 04:43 PM »
bulge and colin's standards were INSANELY heavy, i think they were about 9/10 lbs.  made at the engineering co in davenport - remember they had the tubing piercing through into the bottom bracket??
i think standard knocked about half a pound off per refinement when they went to waterford.  anorak off now, sorry..
hey grant, remember our night at mutts? a memory i treasure, particularly the "ever hear a retard masturbating?" comment.. i think your dirtbike nearly bought it on mutt's bikerack too.. (i think tis is another thread....)

SaMAlex

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Chris

Do you have a pic of the older standards with the tubes going into the BB? I never knew they did that, it sounds great.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  shorty #1 now with added pix, woo hoo

gfxgfx
gfx gfx