gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:54 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  newbie 1st post, should i restore this ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: newbie 1st post, should i restore this ?  (Read 1252 times)

adam

newbie 1st post, should i restore this ?
« on: April 08, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post here, my girlfriend recently gave me her old bmx and I am hoping to bring it back to full original glory, if it is considered worth doing.   I'm not completely sure what it is but think it's a GT Dyno?   One of the parts has 1996 on it but I'm not sure about the other parts.

I didn't want to turn up here and take up bandwidth so I have posted pics to a page on my site   http://www.adboo.com/bmx.htm and included pics of components that were on it.

If someone would be kind enough to take a look and help me out that would be great, I'd like to know what it is, as I read that there are various types of Dyno's.  I'd also be interested if people know what proper parts it should have on it from original so I can begin to look for them.

Many thanks.....Adam

P.S.   I bought an Aero Reflex F+F on ebay a week ago and am looking forward to building this up with the help and advice of the forum !

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: newbie 1st post, should i restore this ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Hello mate and welcome to RAD!  :daumenhoch:

Yes it is a GT Dyno......of around mid to late 90's i think.....it is one of the less desirable ones but they're all worth bringing back to life mate.  as for parts? well they weren't too high end so they weren't kitted out with the most expensive stuff.  Just clean it up a bit mate and put as much as the original bits back on, do it as a survivor and spend the money putting better parts on your reflex  :daumenhoch:

adam

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 05:14 PM »

Thanks for the sound advice Pickle.

I have spent the day sitting in the back garden going over the frame, forks, bars and stem with Autosol.  They have all cleaned up pretty good.    I might try to find a 1pc crank as this one doesn't seem to wanna clean up, and I found a matching set of NOS pedals on ebay for 8 quid so I bought them about 10 mins ago.

I'm gonna spend a while looking for pics of the Dyno's now as I'd like to get a proper set of stickers for it.   Does anyone on the forums produce stickers to order ?

Cheers.....Adam

rarman1

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:44 PM »
i think these are the stickers your after

http://bmxmuseum.com/popup.php?file=%2Fimage%2F3bluedyno4_blowup.jpg&title=Stickers%2C+Dyno%2C+BLUE+on+Chrome

and he's a good bloke and you can paypal him

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46 PM »
nice bike ad

deffo restore it

how did you post twice but keep your post count to 1?

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:27 AM »
nice bike ad

deffo restore it

how did you post twice but keep your post count to 1?

PMSL that's what I thought.

It's deja vu, it's the Matrix  8)

Welcome by the way Adam, and restore the bike mate. It will be good practice for the other ones you will be buying!  :daumenhoch:

adam

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:32 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm gonna restore it as a rider and get some use out of it, I'll book an ambulance to be on standby for my return to Rom, after a small gap of 20 years or so !

I think I have found a full set of Dyno stickers in that style but in red, but thats no prob as there were no blue parts on the bike anyway, only the 2 stickers.

Dunno how I only got 1 post, we'll see if it goes up to 2 or 3 this time.  Again many thanks all, look forward to chatting with you all some more.

Adam

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 03:56 PM »
Nice one mate.....don't forget to keep us up to date with plenty of pictures!  we all love pictures  :daumenhoch:

adam

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 04:15 PM »

Just posted 4 more pictures on the Dyno cleanup.      http://www.adboo.com/bmx.htm        See at the bottom of the page,  all pics are thumbs so click to look closer.. I know it not a pro restoration but its my first and its gonna be a rider so Im not too bothered (and I don't wanna eat up too much cash)

Adam

Paulo

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 08:53 PM »

Looking good Adam. That frame has come up a treat. It's going to look fab when it's finished.  :daumenhoch:

What sort of wheels were you thinking about?

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 09:03 PM »
 :daumenhoch: Yep ,Nice work there fella  :daumenhoch:

Very clean  ;) that is .

Gary..

adam

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 09:12 PM »

Im gonna use the wheels that came with it (until they give up), then I have bought a pair of black Gusset Black Dog's to put on there.    I wanted something cheap and sturdy and these seemed to be ok'd by quite a few people.    Hopefully my riding and landing will be much smoother by the time I fit these so they will last.

I'm in the process of buying parts for my first old school build (an Aero Reflex) so I don't want to go mad spending money on this Dyno.

Adam

Jazzchimp

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 09:30 PM »
You can either resto them or get out now while you still have the chance. Don't end up like the rest of us hiding parts lying to our family and generally spending the kid's inheritance on MX1000's!!

Welcome to the site anyhoo!

adam

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Well the Dyno is starting to look more like a bike now and not just a pile of parts.   http://www.adboo.com/bmx.htm

Just a question of getting the brake blocks, pedals and the chain on then I can have my first ride of a bmx for about ten years !

Mind the last four pics if you click them, I converted them to jpeg but couldn't be bothered to resize them so they are BIG.

Adam

Coastvl

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 02:02 AM »
Wow Adam, thats turned out real nice. Top job mate.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Good work and welcome Adam.

All bikes are worth restoring I think, and as others say it gives you good practice for the one that are really worth doing.

Keep up the good work fella.

All the best.

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  newbie 1st post, should i restore this ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx