gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975768 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 02:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Ever wish you'd never started something?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ever wish you'd never started something?  (Read 2479 times)

lloydieboy

Ever wish you'd never started something?
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:30 AM »
Was off work yesterday, "ill", so had some time to kill. I got a Futuristic Black Trickstar a while back and have been meaning to do something with it so decided to get cracking...

Think it's gonna go chrome...

Back to it at the weekend...

Lloyd

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Ever wish you'd never started something?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:39 AM »
Futuristic black is one of the rarae colours isnt it ?
What have you done  :'(
 :) DINGO :)

lloydieboy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:43 AM »
THing is, it wasn't an original FB frame i think. It's Pink underneath so i reckon someone fancied a change, got the hammerite out and went over the top. And the paint was shot anyway. Don't worrry, i weighed it all up before stripping it...

Futuristic black is one of the rarae colours isnt it ?
What have you done  :'(

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:47 AM »
Phew glad to hear it,

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:41 AM »
Didn't Hutch use pink primer ?  ;) >:D

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:00 AM »
Lloyd,

yeah, get it chromed up mate, or bring it over Chalkwell park next week and i'll take it away for you ! LOL !!

I think Hockley Chromers in Southend are a good company, I have some stuff to Chrome up, so it may be worthwhile getting it done at the same time, and see if we can get a discount ???

Matt
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Coastvl

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:05 AM »
I'm glad you told us that (about the paint) I nearly had a heart attack lookin at the pics. I would redo the FB. Not a lot around. Chrome is nice though.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:12 AM »
i thought they only did USA Hutches in FB ???

Lloyd's TS is clearly a Jap one ........

my one was originally Lavender, and Now Candy Red - Chrome is tempting though >>>  ;)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

lloydieboy

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 11:20 AM »
Didn't Hutch use pink primer ?  ;) >:D

I F'in hope not!!!! :shocked:

Nah the paint was not original, you could see the pink coming through the black in certain areas.

This Trickstar had been messed with, I'm doing it a favour....

rad dad

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Nice one, id be tempted to get it re done in pink or even FB as they both seem to be quite rare restored, i think you may be hard pushed to get the original quality of the chrome, i thought about it with mine but they were triple chromed so decided against it.

Good luck anyway i love a nice trickstar  :smitten:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 12:31 PM »
yeah, trickstars are one of the prettiest freestylers made

lloydieboy

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 01:50 PM »
Good point about the chrome, hopefully I'll get it done by a top quality outfit...

Alternatively I'm thinking something different for it. Maybe Grey? Bit like the Diamond Backs that Dominguez rode....

Nice one, id be tempted to get it re done in pink or even FB as they both seem to be quite rare restored, i think you may be hard pushed to get the original quality of the chrome, i thought about it with mine but they were triple chromed so decided against it.

Good luck anyway i love a nice trickstar  :smitten:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 04:56 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that Hutch took some frames that were originally other colours (like pink and purple reign) and painted them Futuristic Black  :-\

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 04:56 PM »
they were all pink etch primer underneath ;)

zed4130

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 05:06 PM »
do it pink like buff's  :daumenhoch: just skip the 80's fasion  :LolLolLolLol:

greentoad

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Hi

:'(

I reckon that it was original too.

I doubt that if someone painted it back in the day with hammerite they would have put on the decals, let alone the red and white Nora Cup sticker.

Have you stripped the forks yet? Is there any other colour on the shaft / threads?

Whatever you do now, it would be best to take out the bottom bracket, any colour in there?

I'd go back with the original FB (if it really is), but have scene a couple of pictures on Vintage of a Green Trickstar from the mid 80's - and that looked very sweet.

J.

lloydieboy

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 08:23 PM »
I've been working on it again tonight. There is no way that this was an original FB Trickstar. There's pink on the threads of the forks for starters and underneath the Black on the shaft it's all pink too. The guy i bought it off also gave me a layback seatpost which has also been sprayed with the FB finish, but only half way so it only shows as far as what goes in the frame. It was def sprayed. The Nora sticker was WAY newer than the other stickers too.

As for green, i saw that and I don't think it really suited it...

It's looking like chrome for this one, with white stickers....

Hi

:'(

I reckon that it was original too.

I doubt that if someone painted it back in the day with hammerite they would have put on the decals, let alone the red and white Nora Cup sticker.

Have you stripped the forks yet? Is there any other colour on the shaft / threads?

Whatever you do now, it would be best to take out the bottom bracket, any colour in there?

I'd go back with the original FB (if it really is), but have scene a couple of pictures on Vintage of a Green Trickstar from the mid 80's - and that looked very sweet.

J.

lloydieboy

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 08:26 PM »
I do like the pink, but I really can't bear to have  bike of mine in pink!!!

Anyhow, I've got some green Z's sitting in the wings waiting... Chrome TS with green Z's I reckon will look sharp...

Lloyd

do it pink like buff's  :daumenhoch: just skip the 80's fasion  :LolLolLolLol:

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 10:51 PM »
i've owned three trickstars and they were all pink underneath

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 10:56 PM »
There was a thread on Vintage a while ago about FB Trickstars and they mentioned they might be refinished pink ones which is why I mentioned it in the first place  :'(

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 01:08 AM »
Oh well, even if they did what does it matter?

You do it how you want it lloyd and we'll look foward to the finished result. i loves a trickstar me, it's about the only Hutch i might spend money on, if i was rich :)

I've posted on vbmx see if those guys have any info...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 01:10 AM by Bob_Acid »

lloydieboy

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 06:22 AM »
Thanks Bob, you think the same way i do. Seems like there's some guys on here that are a bit more "Time Team" than "Pimp My Ride"... I fall into the latter. Why spend a lot of cash on something that looks like you found it down the tip when a little hard work can get it looking gorgeous.  :-\

I'm really not fussed if it was original, it'll look great when it's done.

Lloyd.

Oh well, even if they did what does it matter?

You do it how you want it lloyd and we'll look foward to the finished result. i loves a trickstar me, it's about the only Hutch i might spend money on, if i was rich :)

I've posted on vbmx see if those guys have any info...

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 07:18 AM »
hutch did use foreign trickstar`s  for future black as the late invasion tour was used for that , regarding if original on not could be hard to tell without seeing it but hutch did use frames that weren`t perfect ie paint or chrome and redone them different colours as i have a chrome trickstar that was original metal flake blue on top  . whatever you do with it is up to you  :) 
no1stuntmaster on instagram

rad dad

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 04:08 PM »
I see the experts over on vbmx all seem to agree it was original  :police:  shame but thats what its all about restoring isnt it, you get it chromed mate it will look the nuts  :daumenhoch:

lloydieboy

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 05:22 PM »
Yeah just checked that. I think it's a good find really, it was really cool to peel back the history of it and see what was underneath. IMO the FB paint job was shite, the detail of the bike was TOTALLY hidden. I even had doubts it was a TS before i started stripping it!!! I couldn't make out the logo on the brake bridge, couldn't find a serial number... I thought i'd bought a duff copy or something...

I see the experts over on vbmx all seem to agree it was original  :police:  shame but thats what its all about restoring isnt it, you get it chromed mate it will look the nuts  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Ever wish you'd never started something?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx