gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 04:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  regrettable decisions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: regrettable decisions  (Read 2581 times)

retrorider.u.k

Re: regrettable decisions
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 04:33 PM »
faze 3 your 8 years too late and they never sold to end users anyway back then.trade only.the family has some gems though  ;)

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Shit!

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Appologise's for my last post, it was the first word that sprang to mind.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 04:41 PM »
When I went to Shiners back in 94, they had oldschool Haros coming out of their ears.... Literally floor to ceiling.... I also heard that a good quantity of the good stuff found its way out of the back door.

It does seem to be on a need to know basis down there - if you can get through the door, there's allsorts to root through. Much more than is advertised.  I suspect its all gone by now though   :(

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 05:02 PM »
In the late 90's Shiners used to send out an old school price list along with the new school list to their dealers, on that list was Loop and non Loop Rippers, OM's,Flovals, 531 and alloy Quads ect, lots of Hutch stuff, Haro race and freestyle bikes, Skyway F&F sets and all the coloured Tuffs too but  of late they have been building two new warehouses and the sale and listing of that stock has stopped for the time being, it will resume once they can do an inventory but the looptail frames are now in very short supply even there own people are not allowed to purchase them
That is the story as far as I know but dont shoot me if I am wrong  :2gunsfiring_v1:
 :) DINGO :)

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 05:07 PM »
So we plan a robbery then?!!! Any one got a balcalva? Second thoughts don't answer that!!!

Seriously though, whats happened to all those bits, have all the RAD members snapped them up then long ago?

The ad I posted right at the top was just the tip of the iceberg then?

darkersomeday

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 05:11 PM »
Check this advert from Ride magazine, Sept 1998. should have picked myself up a bargain, instead I bought a Hoffman Condor!

i bought two of these from cycles sport in 96 with my student loan!!!

one was still in its original box, un-opened, i sold it in 02 for double what i paid for it,

the other had been built and then stripped back down for some reason, that sold in 2001  for a little less,

i bought a fair few nos old school frames from the grantham shop years ago, all sold on now though,

i've got an old phto of the half built one somewhere!

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 05:11 PM »
Well Andy Kirk and I used to get 3 bike boxes of stuff delivered at a time, DC Mx1000's complete set with levers cables frame guide thingies ect..... £13 plus vat (I think?) it was never gonna last for ever was it  :LolLolLolLol:
 :) DINGO :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 05:17 PM »
That would be right.  Shiner were the distributors for loads of American firms over here but priced themselves out of the game.  So the story goes (urban myth probably)  a lad who went to the Rider Cup at Spitalfields got hold of Hoffman and said summat like 'your bikes are too dear' to which Mat asked how much. The lad told him approx £400. Hoffman said 'thats not bad for a bike surely - about $700?'  to which the lad replied  'no Mat, not for a bike. That price is for frame and fork'.....

It took a while after that, but as soon as was convenient the Hoffman deal went to Seventies.

Haro went to Moore, Large & Co.  I think Wilkerson Airlines stayed with them, as has 2Hip.  I dunno about owt else....

They also deal in Santa Cruz skate and snow stuff - also bloody expensive.  

darkersomeday

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 05:27 PM »
heres the half built one, all the bits were with it, redline 400 cranks etc, even the oakley grips and donuts were there!

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Thanks for that pic, now I'm really really regretting that decision. As for you tworobbob. You know way to much man!!! HaHa!

Do you run a bike shop then? If not why not, you're not Vertigo are you?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Well......................................

Hehe... Nah.  I'd like to be a quid behind Vert-Ego   ;D

I was very lucky when I came back riding in 94, I hooked up with a couple of riders who knew everyone so by default I got to meet everyone. So I got my first Condor trade from Shiners  'Hi, this is my mate twobob - do him a deal'  and so it was.

In 99 I opened a small shop within the grounds of Rom skatepark, so I was dealing with Shiner again. Just got to hear a lot of gossip really...

Met a few people along the way when I was ramp building, and of course trying to travel and ride all the time.

The midschool years were very good to me, lots of good memories and the riding was something else. I was very lucky   :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  regrettable decisions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx