gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 09:05 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My first "Race" bike?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My first "Race" bike?  (Read 3198 times)

SaMAlex

My first "Race" bike?
« on: February 02, 2007, 01:01 PM »
I didn’t think Id get to post something up in "BMX Racing" but now I can.

I have just built up this 94ish challenger and its great. I didn’t really pay any attention to race bikes in the 90s so this is filling in a few gap for me. I would have liked it to have had V brakes as I’ve never had one on a BMX. I will get round to putting a 990 on it soon.

Now, where's the nearest race track?

zed4130

Re: My first "Race" bike?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:06 PM »
sweet mate 'hears mr butlers  :daumenhoch: 1995 model

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 01:11 PM »
like the bike  :daumenhoch:

just not too sure about that ad  ???
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:11 PM »
That add is so funny, I love it. I recon it was ripped off someone elses add cos lots of S&M adds were.

I see that Shaun was so tuff he's snapped the brake mounts right off that frame. I bet he did it with his teeth and he's chewing on them!

zed4130

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:13 PM »
yep ripped of from the village people  :2funny:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 02:02 PM »
That looks cool Alex  :daumenhoch:

Where'd ya live ?

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 02:07 PM »
Oxford. There are some good trails around here. I used to go to High Wycombe BMX track now and again but I think thats all gone now. I think there is a track / trails in Banbury.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 02:09 PM »
We'll have to hook up at some point , I'm in Buckingham . My bro's Condor & Holmes are in storage between here & Bicester .

MK track ?

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 02:16 PM »
Ah yes, MK track. I once raced at the old MK track and I might have raced once at the new one when it first opened.

Hook up some time, for sure. Holmes in storage? .....Hmmmm, what type? What parts are on it?

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Ah yes, MK track. I once raced at the old MK track and I might have raced once at the new one when it first opened.

Hook up some time, for sure. Holmes in storage? .....Hmmmm, what type? What parts are on it?

Not 100% sure on Holmes , bought off Motomag (Greg) on here . I guess maybe 95-96 , it's a project so mostly stripped with bits laying around .

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 02:21 PM »
The existing MK track runs parallel with the M1 near Junc14 .

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Nice Alex, looks real sleek.

:daumenhoch:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 04:07 PM »
love that early redneck.
ding dong

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Hey Alex ,

There's a good play track at Haddenham near Thame  :daumenhoch:

Matt

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Nice Challenger.  I think the older S&Ms (Holmes, Dirt Bike, Challenger) are nicer than most of today's S&M models.

A chrome 1996 Holmes was my first new school BMX bike.  As ever, I wish I'd kept it.

SaMAlex

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Nice Challenger.  I think the older S&Ms (Holmes, Dirt Bike, Challenger) are nicer than most of today's S&M models.

A chrome 1996 Holmes was my first new school BMX bike.  As ever, I wish I'd kept it.

I do like the early S&Ms, but I also Luuuuuv my LAF.

Flying_fox

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 07:37 PM »
Hay Alex, that bike is awesome, I love an S&M. :smitten:

Come over Hayes on sunday [url]http://www.hawksbmx.co.uk/directions.php[/img] gate practice from 1 til 3, the first straight is a gigantic, its worth the drive just to witness it. The rest has good flow and even if the wind is blowing too much for the first you can session the second and third for hours. I'm going with my nephew as long as the missus does'nt give birth in the nest day or so (which is a big possibility).....

Quite a few people are going to mk on sunday as well, should be a good session there. Did you go to the first mk track at Bleak Hall? I did my first ever race there (the one that was in the old dave spurdens book), you don't get tracks like that any more!

Flaz

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 07:42 PM »
that looks pukka alex   :4_17_5:  i really like it   :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 07:42 PM »
Hay Alex, that bike is awesome, I love an S&M. :smitten:

Come over Hayes on sunday [url]http://www.hawksbmx.co.uk/directions.php[/img] gate practice from 1 til 3, the first straight is a gigantic, its worth the drive just to witness it. The rest has good flow and even if the wind is blowing too much for the first you can session the second and third for hours. I'm going with my nephew as long as the missus does'nt give birth in the nest day or so (which is a big possibility).....

Quite a few people are going to mk on sunday as well, should be a good session there. Did you go to the first mk track at Bleak Hall? I did my first ever race there (the one that was in the old dave spurdens book), you don't get tracks like that any more!

I would love to come over to Hayes some time but I cant make this week. I was going to go to Epic (not on the challenger) but my wife has got to work now on sunday, all day, leaving me with the boys who arent quite old enough to enjoy a cold day at a BMX track, soon tho!

Im not sure where the old MK track was but it had a big down hill, just after the tiny start hill, and then a massive left hander. It even had a cross over I think. It then went on, into middle of the speedway track! All a bit faint really cos it was 25 years ago!!!

Flying_fox

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 07:52 PM »

Im not sure where the old MK track was but it had a big down hill, just after the tiny start hill, and then a massive left hander. It even had a cross over I think. It then went on, into middle of the speedway track! All a bit faint really cos it was 25 years ago!!!

That's the track!!!! The race that was in the book I said about was in August 83, if you went to that one there's a good chance you might be in the book, I wasn't but my dad was about 3 times (how gutted was I, lol). I'm sure its the only track I've ever raced with a cross over, other than weston that had a bridge, so that does'nt count. I'll shut up about it now because I could go on for hours about the history of MKBMX and this is a thread about your S&M.

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 07:57 PM »
I thnk I raced there twice. One time was with my local team from Oxford (well Blackbird leys, a rough part of Oxford) and it was all a bit of a nightmare. Im sure I raced there another time too. I used to ride with Wurzel (before he became a pro skater) and Ian Oz. Wurzel used to live in Oxford but moved to MK so we'd go over there quite a bit.

Flying_fox

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 08:37 PM »
I thnk I raced there twice. One time was with my local team from Oxford (well Blackbird leys, a rough part of Oxford) and it was all a bit of a nightmare. Im sure I raced there another time too. I used to ride with Wurzel (before he became a pro skater) and Ian Oz. Wurzel used to live in Oxford but moved to MK so we'd go over there quite a bit.

I remember worzel a bit later at Pineham track in84/85ish, he was an old dude then! He used to hang around with Foxy (Deathbox/Flip bloke) and Matt Wickham's older brother Mark.

SaMAlex

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 08:43 PM »
Thats them. Worzel, Foxy (pictured in the "mons jam" thread in freestyle), Phil (who also got more into skating), and later Lee Renolds. Worzel was kinda old, ay? One time he cycled his GT from MK to Oxford, just cos he didnt want to wait for the bus! The last I heard of him he had moved to Germany and was into MTBs.

I actually entered my first freestyle contest in MK in 82 or 83. It was in a sports hall with the usual 1/4 one end, wedge the other. I think I got 2nd in under 14s or something like that.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 08:44 PM »
I may have met you bitd Alex ! , I knew Wurzel & met Ian Osborne a fair few times  :daumenhoch: .

There were a few MK/Stony guys Wurzel rode with namely Phil Chapman , Colin Mumford , Greg Price maybe Jamie Eborall .

I grew up across the road from Jeremy Fox & used to run Sly Fox speckled seatclamps ! ( Pre Deathbox ) . Jeremy used to screen print all kinds of things ( Tees/decks etc ) in his garage  :LolLolLolLol: .

Hey Miles , how's Becca gettin' on ?

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 08:45 PM »
Thats them. Worzel, Foxy (pictured in the "mons jam" thread in freestyle), Phil (who also got more into skating), and later Lee Renolds. Worzel was kinda old, ay? One time he cycled his GT from MK to Oxford, just cos he didnt want to wait for the bus! The last I heard of him he had moved to Germany and was into MTBs.

I actually entered my first freestyle contest in MK in 82 or 83. It was in a sports hall with the usual 1/4 one end, wedge the other. I think I got 2nd in under 14s or something like that.

The Agora Centre in Wolverton ?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My first "Race" bike?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx