gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 01:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mons coverage #4 “Mons Jam II”
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mons coverage #4 “Mons Jam II”  (Read 3693 times)

SaMAlex

Mons coverage #4 “Mons Jam II”
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:34 PM »
This was when FREEstyle was in full effect. No helmets, shorts or jeans. Just ride how you want. I think the cover shot sums it up, esp as its Mons local Ian Vert squirt. I was the rider who, in the under 16 write up, crashed. You can see me in the background of Nick Philips shot standing in front of the greenhouse. What you can’t see is the massive black eye I had from landing flat bottom on my face (even with a helmet on!).

I also scanned in a bit of the news section from this issue that has a little thing about the skyway team. And there is also a shot from this comp that was in a later issue of BMXA. I have even named most of the riders on the platform. What a line up!

yoda

Re: Mons coverage #4 Mons Jam II
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:39 PM »
Great stuff Alex, cant believe I never made it to any of these Jams really missed out. Love some of the shots in this article especially the last one of Andy airing and everyone on the deck... :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:41 PM »
whos on the hutch rider looks so similar to my old riding partner jason hassel.who is it.

yoda

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:42 PM »
yep its Hassle

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:46 PM »
little sod i need to get hold of him asap.rode every day with him for ever it seemed carving up
all of basildon and never ran out of steam.hes in aus probably with parents.

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 02:08 PM »
whos on the hutch rider looks so similar to my old riding partner jason hassel.who is it.

Look in the bottom left of the Nick Philips shot. It has the caption for the centre shot written in pink

Great stuff Alex, cant believe I never made it to any of these Jams really missed out. Love some of the shots in this article especially the last one of Andy airing and everyone on the deck... :daumenhoch:

To right you should have made it down! Weren't you on Vincent for a while? If so, you would have got a cover shot, for sure!

rory

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 02:11 PM »
rad !
nice one alex

andy619

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Thanks Dave, where were you that day?  The jams were soooo much more fun than the UKBFA competitions, if you got thirsty you go just get off the ramp and go get some food or beer and get back on the ramp, a totally relaxed and fun atmosphere.

It is Jason Hassel, and he was awesome that day.  Big airs on a section of the ramp that always sent me to a hard landing low on the transition.
Mike Canning rode really well too.

Thanks for posting this Alex, well done.

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 03:09 PM »
No probs Andy. Now wheres that photo you've got of my face just after the crash. Ive been waiting 20 years to see it!

andy619

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 03:20 PM »
No probs Andy. Now wheres that photo you've got of my face just after the crash. Ive been waiting 20 years to see it!

Bad news I'm afraid, I've been searching for three days now without any luck.  I thought that I took it from Mons collection in June, I have about twenty pictures of his but the picture of your black eye and swollen face is not with them.  I will keep looking but I think that Mon must still have it at his house.

SaMAlex

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 03:27 PM »
Thats cool. Maybe I should just ask Mon for it. He only lives round the corner from me, ha ha.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Nice one Alex - more great memories!

:daumenhoch:

Ramp Rat

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 06:09 PM »
This is great Alex- really cool to see the progression from the first session in the filthy barn to this. Trick getting way radder, Andy, the Can Can Look backs as well sweet, great trick. As you said, no helmets, no race pants, just peole jamming and having it!!
Good times...wish I had been there.

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Damon, how come you werent there?

I have got one more Mons Jam to post up. The last one in 1991. It in an Invert magazine i think ... Ive just to got find it!

Ramp Rat

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Alex - I have no idea, I don't even remember that jam / contest... :idiot2:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 09:49 PM »
I definatly jacked it in at the wrong time, I put up with all those shitty 50p shaped quarter pipes and then just after I stopped riding the ramps got better  :(

Those ramp jams look well cool, I think I would have enjoyed them  :idiot2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

selfpreservation

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 09:59 PM »
win  cd portable music centres

Ramp Rat

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 12:39 AM »
I definatly jacked it in at the wrong time, I put up with all those shitty 50p shaped quarter pipes and then just after I stopped riding the ramps got better  :(

Those ramp jams look well cool, I think I would have enjoyed them  :idiot2:

Bill - you missed out man. Tombstones, Canyon's, roll-in's, big and wide transitions to carve up and alley oop, doobies, surf shorts, pig shite   :10_2_12:    ...good times.

How's your backyard half pipe?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 12:44 AM »
Cold and wet at the moment  :(

Mind you I`m not that disapointed that I missed out on the fashion back then  :police:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Trev

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 12:52 AM »

that's true.... cos the non bald persons comb over (bmx beat 84) was the "in" thing...  :crazy2:

:LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Bumped cos final scans on the way :)

Jesse

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 07:39 PM »
I think that shot of Nick Philip is perhaps the only shot i've seen of him riding a pipe, I seem to remember most other shots of him in the mag were street riding - like the infamous 'Walls' article. I know he was pretty mean with street riding but I never had any ideas about his ramp-riding.

harophil

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Great scan, I'm even in some of the pics.
Wasn't riding but went along to watch.
Used to ride with Randy, remember riding the halfpipe at the side of his house.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 11:01 PM »
love those pics,sold all my bmx action bike collection on ebay about 5 years ago,what a cock....

teamsano

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 11:30 PM »
can you scan in the next issue of bmxa where someone from on here wrote in to condemn the license burning?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mons coverage #4 “Mons Jam II”

gfxgfx
gfx gfx