gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Flying W ESP stem?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Flying W ESP stem?  (Read 1233 times)

peen

Flying W ESP stem?
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:28 PM »
Hi peeps. My mate got given this from his LBS. Can anyone help ID it? It says Flying W BMX on the side and ESP on the top but I thought those stems were quill and wedge and not aheadset? Is this a later generation model? Or a hybrid of 2 stems? Also, any clues as to the value of it as he is thinking of eBaying. :)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 06:15 PM by peen »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Flying W ESP stem?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:00 PM »
I think Andy Funmonster had one of these ?

I'd guess early to mid to late 90s maybe ? (considering it's a clamp on) .

Not overly valuable like the quill ones but maybe a mid schoolers dream stem ??

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 04:54 PM »
I think that's the mini version saw Rich Haney trying to sell one a year or so ago don't know what forks it fits on though may be 1" unthreaded or it might just clamp on the threads to save weight on an O/S min set up.
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:02 AM »
I have a nice mini one  ::)... As far as i know/have been told...... They were made in the late 80s before Ahead sets and stems were established in just a few limited pieces in Pro and mini. Jim Melton told me that he remembered Walt Ehnat(ESP)developed these stems in the late 80s. He thinks they were based in Washington. The guy i got it from said it was developed by ESP  to save weight and that the later Ahead sets and stems were a direct result of ESPs work as ESP stopped trading. I cannot find any info after 1989 about ESP stems or the company. Maybe someone on here has more info....i tried asking in the states but just got blanked. I have not seen these stems in any magazine advertisements.
  Its definately an ESP Flying W Stem.. All i can tell you for sure is that it is one of the last pieces ESP made.
  Is it a Pro size?
Heres the one i have

I am still trying to trace the original owner... i took it in trade for some Bottema forks about 16 months ago...The guy was Chris Kealey from Hawaii. When i got the stem and it turned out to be a mini i decided i didnt want to trade and emailed him back for his address. He has never replied  :-\   So i am babysitting it  :angel:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:08 AM by FuNMoNsTeR »

peen

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Cheers guys! Very useful info! He's gonna be putting it on eBay in the next couple of days if anyone is interested as he now runs Vector bars. :D

I have put up some more pics which I took today. It looks the same size/shape as yours Funmonster, although the ESP on top is written in a different font. Slight variation I guess.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 06:19 PM by peen »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Flying W ESP stem?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx