gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 07:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  A GT you dont really see
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A GT you dont really see  (Read 1176 times)

clonerz

A GT you dont really see
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:14 PM »
I have just bought this out of storage and gave it a quick spruce up. I t makes me wonder why they are not collected too much, i was looking at it and thought how nice the later GT's really are. OK, so its not a early eighties performer, but judging by the quality of the welds and finish they are made as well, if not better. I just cant understand why they arent really collected by anyone, as they really are very nice bikes. I know there not incredibly valuable, but they really deserve to be collected a lot more than they are .(I even took it for a quick spin, nice!)

scary_leary

Re: A GT you dont really see
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Mid skool is getting more and more collectable.. and these mint bashguard's are gonna be worth some good money.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:22 PM »
trust me, its time will come.
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:41 PM »
nice bike

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 07:57 PM »

i been trying to get a decal set for my one of them, keep getting out bid, last set was over $90, have only seen a few of them about

madall

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Yeah the quality is good on those I had one and sold it on the bay for peanuts :'(, the 80's originals will always be the most collectable but dosent mean they wont be worth a few bob in 100 yrs or so ... :LolLolLolLol:

clonerz

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:03 PM »
The frame no. on it indicates it being an 89 model, does this sound about right? If so , is it classed as new or mid school? From what im hearing here its classed as mid school, but i want to be sure .

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 09:56 PM »
I always say that anything with an A-head, 1 1/8th setup is too new to be "Mid", making "mid" to be from the very late 80s to the mid 90s (96/97 was when A-head got going on BMX). Your GT deff aint "new", its early "mid" ... almost late "old", ha ha.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:02 AM »
My MCS has a 1 1/8th headset and it's dated around 91!   :-\

The MCS History page says it came out in 89! but i'm sure A-head wasn't actually out then??  it has no serial number either to help date it though......but the History page on the MCS site says it was only made for a couple of years........as Toya would say, It'sh a mishtory   :-\

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 09:06 AM »
my standard lengthy is a 95 with 1 1/8 

SaMAlex

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Lets not start the "when did A-head come out" thing again, I meant that it was in about 96/97 that most companies changed over to 1 1/8th "Dia Compe A-head" that MTBs had been using for a while. Some were sooner (I think standard were the first to get production "A-head" frames out) but there were also some companies that did their own "Clamp on" systems before the "Dia Comp A-head" system. The earliest I know of was  the Cook Bros design ..... in 1980!!!

http://www.23mag.com/com/cookbros/cookbros.htm

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 09:22 AM »
i will get me coat    ;)

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:23 AM »
In my opinion, they will never be as popular as the early performer's. Even though there's probably less of them left in one piece.

Its just that they are so god damm ugly!

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 09:32 AM »
i will get me coat    ;)

Come on Dan, Im sure you knew about that Cooks Bros Clamp on system .... Youve probably GOT ONE!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:37 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol:  i was playing bro   :angel:

theRuler

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:09 AM »
old 80's and before
mid 90's

mid school is a meaningless phrase anyway. it's all old. some is 80's some is 90's

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  A GT you dont really see

gfxgfx
gfx gfx