gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway coaster brake help needed please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway coaster brake help needed please  (Read 2145 times)

type15kafer

skyway coaster brake help needed please
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:43 PM »
Hi,i've just taken delivery off some skyway tuff wheels i got off ebay,the rear wheel has a britax coaster brake on it that i want to remove,i have ordered a jb coaster to freewheel converter from alansbmx but wondered if anyone else has done this and is it easy? many thanks in advance Nick.

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: skyway coaster brake help needed please
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:52 PM »
Yeah, it's fairly straightforward.

Sequence is as follows and all work is done on the "drive side":

Remove the wheelnut & cone locknut
Remove the lockring and lift off the sprocket
Unscrew the cone nut and lift out the small bearing set.
Unscrew the one piece goldie coloured clutch driver.
Leave the bigger bearings sitting in the hub shell
Put some fresh grease on the balls and on the helical thread of the new jb adaptor
Thread it into the mechanism, in place of the one you lifted out
Drop in the small bearing set, freshly greased
Thread on the cone nut
Thread on the cone locknut and tighten up snug with no play but also no binding on the cones
Leave your original sprocket, lockring and driver to one side - keep for future use.
Thread your new regular freewheel onto the jb driver like you would with a regular hub
Go ride!

Hope this helps!

Brian.

(ps it's bendix, not britax)  :daumenhoch:
(pps have a look at flatlandfuel.com - in the links section, go to "freecoaster maintenance" and click on "suntour diagram" - this gives you a good exploded view of a suntour coaster hub, and the bendix driver and setup is pretty similar to this. Bp.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:57 PM by brianp »

type15kafer

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply,i'll give it a try when the adapter arrives later this week ( oops 1st post and i mispell something already  duh )
One thing i'm not sure about though is whether i remove the coaster arm or does that stay on and become redundent ?
Thanks again Nick

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:13 PM »
lol, no worries - I assumed you mean bendix cos it was either that or shimano or suntour ;-)

Take it you know you'll now have a freecoaster?

In theory you can remove the coaster arm since your not putting any force on the internal brake mechanism, but it's entirely optional.

(For info, here's a pic of my two JB adaptors - one on left is for a suntour or bendix hub, the one on right is for a shimano)

Brian.

ps welcome to the site, newbie usually gets the first round in.. :daumenhoch:

type15kafer

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20 PM »
Cheers for the info and pics Brian,it's all alot clearer now.
As for getting a round in,anyone for sambuca  with a vodka redbull chaser ?? >:D
Thanks again Nick.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway coaster brake help needed please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx