gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 08:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Were Skyway graphites ever any good?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Were Skyway graphites ever any good?  (Read 3410 times)

madall

Re: Were Skyway graphites ever any good?
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 11:37 PM »
skyways are filth its what we had b4 we had sense , how can you ride without putting 80+ in ya tires i dont no .
even stupps will back me up on this he argued a toss when we first met up again me on new skool him on some haro thing graphites included he put pegs on and trashed them cracked both wheels in a hour .
didnt read all the posts as usual  all i would say if ya gonna build a bike to put on your front room wall for memories then hell yea go for it, but if you wanna ride or roll then nooooooooooooooooooo  dont do it.
its abit like entering the 24 hour le man  in a ford anglia  leave that stuff in the past . skyway make wheels for hospital trolleys and so on now ..... glad they found a market .. bmx  they aint

For me I Disagree totaly I get on great with them an im a 16st rugby player so they get a good kicking of me and there still going strong...touch wood. have cowboy'd them constantly and there ok. I agree they are not great for todays style of riding but for old school like me spot on.

Anyway Have a nice xmas guys,hope Santa brings you a nice shiny pair of Skyways ...lol

Bren Gunn

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 11:52 PM »
Andy Patterson and Richy Anderson seemed to get on with them OK 

:daumenhoch:

Jazzchimp

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Andy Patterson and Richy Anderson seemed to get on with them OK  :knuppel2:

See, now this is interesting you see because I would have rated AP as one of the fasted riders in the US pro series but when he rode skyways he looked... well a bit average, which to me suggests that he was slowed by the Tuffs. Would Big Stu have been as successful on tuffs?

Does anyone know the weight difference? how about the aerodynamics?  or am I being a bit over analitical?

Trev

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 03:03 PM »
I would have rated AP as one of the fasted riders in the US pro series

Does that mean he didn't eat before a race??

darkersomeday

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Mat Hoffman dabbled with bringing them back into bmx a good few years ago,

during a uk vert comp he hung up the back wheel on the coping and the wheel exploded!

some dude who picked up the bits sold them on ebay!

that was the last time i saw a pair being "actually" used

by todays standards they're heavy and weak,

nothing beats how they look on an old school bike though

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2006, 02:25 AM »
Andy Patterson and Richy Anderson seemed to get on with them OK  :knuppel2:

See, now this is interesting you see because I would have rated AP as one of the fasted riders in the US pro series but when he rode skyways he looked... well a bit average, which to me suggests that he was slowed by the Tuffs. Would Big Stu have been as successful on tuffs?

Does anyone know the weight difference? how about the aerodynamics?  or am I being a bit over analitical?

He won the Worlds in Holland in 1983 on them though  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

theRuler

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2006, 12:59 PM »
skyways are filth its what we had b4 we had sense

lol

not the thing to say on here

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 08:37 PM »
I think its down to personal choice... I only raced with Tuffs once at Derby and the bike felt sluggish. I switched straight back to Arayas for the next meet. Tim March rode them with mixed sucess.
  I think a mag wheel gives you more ability to turn/move the bike in the air by turning the bars. You can do the experiment at home... grab a spoked wheel... grab the hub with both hands at arms length and spin it. If you move your right hand toward you the wheel will pull to the right. With a mag wheel the pull is stronger... this maybe just due to weight. i dont know  ???

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 10:45 PM »
There's something about Graphites that make them so cool.  Sure, they are heavier than todays spoked 36 hole rims, but back in the day, having Graphites was a status symbol.  With the retro movement over the last few years, we've had alot go through the warehouse here, and personally, I love them. 
 On my current race bike, I use spoke wheels during the race season, BUT.... I do have about 12 other bikes in the garage- all with Tuffs, with a few graphites in there.  The LOOK so killer!
-Ed

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 10:52 PM »
hi ed welcome to rad :daumenhoch:

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 11:46 PM »
I had a set of Graphites BITD, with the campag hubs, they were fitted to my chrome Hutch Pro racer and looked rather nice I have to say.  I managed to pick them up in '85 I think from Hotwheels.  They belonged to Graham Merry who had bought them in the USA for his son Russell, and they had been raced by Charlie Reynolds.  I managed to get them for £75 (bargain!) as they weren't really that popular with UK racers and mega overpriced.  I had no probs with them down the straights, but they felt a bit heavy when cornering or in the air.  I still think they're the coolest looking wheels though.  I sold mine in '94 for £55 (ever sold something and then wished you hadn't?) to a guy called Miles who was into collecting all the old school stuff.

I'd agree with everyone who says if you want to be competetive then stick with regular 36H wheels.  The guys who were winning on them BITD were something special, Richie Anderson, Patterson, MRD, Ant Howells.  I'm sure the wheels slowed them down, but they were just so damn good it didn't show!  I'd love to get myself a set of the new Graphites, but until I'm in the same league as the riders I've just mentioned I think I'll stick with my 36holers.  Mind you, I could always use the Graphites as my excuse if I came in last!  ::)

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 12:28 AM »
Thanks!  Cool site here!!

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 11:05 AM »
My mate Warren is looking for a white set of graphites with blue anno hubs.... what are the chances???  ???

Coastvl

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 12:02 PM »
No such thing as white graphites. They were factory rider options. White tuffs with blue annodised hubs.

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Yup... what Coastvl said is true....

Jazzchimp

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Hi Ed by the way, great to see you're on board

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 06:31 PM »
Thanks so much!

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 06:40 PM »
No such thing as white graphites. They were factory rider options. White tuffs with blue annodised hubs.

Thanks for that info... saved me a long and fruitless search  ;D  I would have looked a little foolish too "Wanted White Graphite Skyways"   :uglystupid2: 
  Maybe i could bleach a black set white  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 10:04 PM »
white tuffs

and anno a set of flanges blue

and hope someone can do a good job at re riveting them , cos  i know a few here are trying  :daumenhoch:

Rich

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 10:06 PM »
And hello Ed from quite obviously coloured tuffs .com Lol

welcome to Rad  :Great_Britain:

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Yeah Hi m8  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Were Skyway graphites ever any good?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx