gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 10:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  whats your worst ramppark accident
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: whats your worst ramppark accident  (Read 3499 times)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
whats your worst ramppark accident
« on: November 28, 2006, 04:18 PM »
ramps/skatepark   what was your baddest injury and where.. i will kick of
1985 manchester  demo launching the new bendy bus.
set demo  i would hit the little portable 6ft 1/4 pipe  do something then roll upto jason scott webb who was balancing
on his front wheel ,bunny hope over his frame then hope over 2 fire barrels.
but on this day went a tad to quick,snapped a layback looking back,but got the lever caught in me trousers
and landed locked in that possition ,couldnt get my shoe back on for a week .mashhed knee and chipped teeth, fat lip. 

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: whats your worst ramppark accident
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 04:47 PM »
This happened recently after I got back into BMX....

Been out for the day with the outlaws for lunch so I'd had a couple of beers which then were topped up with a couple of glass's of wine back at their house, A mate called and suggested going to the local ramps for an evening hack which I thought sounded like a great idea bearing in mind I was'nt really feeling the effects of my drinking activities.

It was getting dark at this point, so after a short 10 minute ride to the ramps which helped mix the fresh air and my stella artois/wine concoction, I tried to demonstrate my radness by launching the bike up a ramp which I thought had a landing ramp on the other side, big mistake as I hadnt noticed it actually had a quarter pipe on the reverse of the ramp so I landed heavily on the front wheel and went straight over the bars and landed on my face! :shocked: which resulted in concusion and a laughing mate!

The end result was a bruised and swollen face and missing most of the skin on my right shoulder, of course my work colleagues thought it was hilarious that I had fallen of my BMX at 31 and not been involved in something more manly like being in a pub brawl with 10 bouncers!! :D ;D

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 05:11 PM »
erm....erm....

rom, 18mnths ago...moguls...no lid...face plant...hospital, short of 3 pints of the red gear, operation, 8 Ti plates, 60 odd Ti screws, half a coil of what felt like fencing wire, and about 30 od stitches.
1 month sitting bolt upright cos me turnip was hurting like hell, 3 months of having my jaws wired....

still.....could have been worse i suppose

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Practising for a freestyle show at a local school, been pulling reverse Wilkerson 1 hand 1 foot x-up kickturns all day, sweet as.  Was wearing my helmet and pads and didn't wipe out once so on the last run of the day (and to make sure I'd really got them sussed) I took my helmet off because I was too hot and sweaty (and I'd pulled them all day without a problem) I leant back too far, the front of the bike dipped as I turned and caught the side of the ramp.  Major face plant, out cold for 5 mins, with a split lip that needed stitches, chipped tooth, two black eyes, a graze that went from my chin to my forehead and a major concussion with an overnight stay at Hillingdon Hospital  ::)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:42 PM »
1996, first time on a quarter pipe, at a council built one in a park in newport.

i could get on to the platform fine. but riding in was somewhat of an enigma.

my mate who didnt ride, got on my bike and did it straight away. bastard.

so i rode off the top, and next thing i was face down next to the ramp with dirt under my eyelids

jeff spicoli

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 06:00 PM »
had a few overnighters in hospital brocken bones and teeth  but its all been woth it I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 06:18 PM »
broken wrist at Skaterham

faceplant on vert - black eye, fat nose, lips etc at Skateham

vert hang up to bruised ribs at Skaterham :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:28 PM »
I would do it all again

i fecking wouldnt

lol

Dave
haro, how do you do

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 06:31 PM »
i wouldnt either
i looked like a right chump

when i come to there was a circle of kids stood around me. one said "i have never seen anyone crash like that before"

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 06:33 PM »
well plenty of rolled ankles at rom and broken wrist's at rom
and even splitting me jap eye wide open at rom
worst pain ever that was
no stem pad at the time lol
then didnt ride for many moons
and crashed at sheffield broken collar bone

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 06:34 PM »
and even splitting me jap eye wide open at rom

ouch. dont post a pic

selfpreservation

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 06:35 PM »
erm....erm....

rom, 18mnths ago...moguls...no lid...face plant...hospital, short of 3 pints of the red gear, operation, 8 Ti plates, 60 odd Ti screws, half a coil of what felt like fencing wire, and about 30 od stitches.
1 month sitting bolt upright cos me turnip was hurting like hell, 3 months of having my jaws wired....

Dave
and i thought you were just ugly  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline martin46

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 06:43 PM »
its always the simple stuff that catches you out. went for a smith grind on a downward slopin ledge a few years ago, missed with the front peg, went over the bars, slid down the slope on my face and opened me head up on a steel I beam at the bottom. never been the same since :uglystupid2:

i wear a lid now tho.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 07:22 PM »
erm....erm....

Dave
and i thought you were just ugly  :LolLolLolLol:

no mate...i was fooking good looking before, they made me look like this with all that shite they screwed to my skull

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 08:49 PM »
I was at Rom with Chris Young in Jan 83 having a last practice before the big freestyle comp at Pickets Lock a week later, rode around the top of the clover leaf but hit a patch of ice or frost and the bike slid away from me throwing me backwards in to the bowl. I landed on top of a tire which was floating in the pool of water that had collected in there and bruised my kidney. John the boss ran me down to Old Church Hospital where I pissed blood for a week before being allowed home, and missed the comp at Pickets Lock too  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 08:58 PM »
broken collar bone and fractured wrist whilst trying to cross my bars coming out of a rather large dirt jump.
I want to touch ORB

keyhole kid

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 10:00 PM »
only had a few , but are goodies

1. fractured me skull thanks to a lay back look splat in the perfomance at rom, out cold for a while,

2. mashed me thumb up in southsea messing about , ended up with a metal thumb ,and a kick in the head from the zoid,

3. broke me ribs at bones last year going to ride in the bowl and ended up slipping the front wheel on the coping

but apart from that im fine................. i think  :daumenhoch:

andy619

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45 PM »
1984 the day before the king of the skateparks competition at the Pipeline, rolling into the big bowl when the front wheel slid out from under me.  I woke up at the bottom of the bowl with Eddie Fiola asking me if I was ok.  Smashed left knee, hip and shoulder, maybe a concussion.

1985 during practice 10 minutes before my final run at the KOS at Del Mar.  Big air (8') pulled out too far, or I aired off of one of the many over-vert deppressions at the lip,  and woke up to Eddie Fiola asking me if I was ok.  Smashed left knee, hip shoulder, swollen left cheek, and a split nut sack, maybe a concussion.

1987 at some UK competition, 540 to face plant on the first air.  No real damage but my hand hurt for weeks afterward.

trill

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 10:49 PM »
it seemed whenever u rode k.o.s, andy, eddie fiola was keepin a lookout 4 u. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 11:30 PM »
it seemed whenever u rode k.o.s, andy, eddie fiola was keepin a lookout 4 u. :LolLolLolLol:

He was the one throwing down the bananna skins  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

DR VINOAH

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 11:33 PM »
rom 4 me also

i was on the original rikity halfpipe

that had only one platform at the time

i was doing me little routine ,no one in particular watching me

i used to love popping out 180 onto said platform and  droping back  in

got a bit disorientated as to what side i was on

popped out as above and to my horror wrong side and no platform

i fell backwards and down thru all the ramp joists

landing in a mess at the bottom

luckily for me i had me lid on

fooked me oakley goggles,bought that day @ rom

ripped me aero pants and BJ teeshirt

oh yeah concussion ,few cuts ,bruises and a 2 days in hospital

Trev

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 11:54 PM »

He was the one throwing down the bananna skins  :daumenhoch:

Is that where the Flying Banana came from?

Bren Gunn

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 12:10 AM »
Broke both my arms last year turning round on a quarter pipe, didn't think I'd fcuked 'em so then drove to Dan Dares house from the skate park, got pissed on Stella and rode home on me bike :idiot2:

Hurt like hell the next day, but not being able to hold my son, who was 2 weeks old at the time was a lot more painfull :(

Bren :)

radders

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 10:05 AM »
I think the funniest crash I had was when I was doing the Circus thing in Austria with Mike Canning, Dave Beveridge and some French flatlander called Eric Marcello. We did our shows in a big top with a quarter pipe at each end of the ring. In one of the shows, Dave was riding the ramps and getting about 6-7 ft out of the ramps. The crowd was going nuts. I was on top of one of the ramps and was getting really psyched up to ride, as I was getting around 10 - 11ft out at that time and was eager to show off. Anyway, Dave finally pops out on the quarter pipe at the opposite end of the big top to me. I assume he's now stopped his run, so I ride in and pedal flat out, head down, towards the other ramp (cos I'm really going to show these people some air  ::)) In the meantime, Dave hasnt actually stopped his run, but was taking a quick breather and had dropped back in and was also pedalling head down in the opposite direction. Needless to say our combined speed at impact, in the middle of the big top was probably in excess of 30 mph. Even back then, I was over 6ft tall and I was wearing a Bell Moto 5, so unfortunately, Dave came off worse than I did, but we were both out cold for about 5 minutes. Our announcer thought we were dead, all the spectators were crowding round taking photos. The French flatlander was using all the best English expletives we'd kindly taught him to move the crowd back ;D

The first thing I really remembered was coming out of the big top, seeing the ambulance and asking who'd had an accident, as I couldnt remember having had one.  I looked down at my watches, (back in the day when you had at least one Swatch on each arm) and noticed that one had been broken by the impact and had stopped working. The time difference between the two watches was over 10 minutes!! I had a big dent in my haro kneesavers from the impact. Dave and I were taken to hospital with concussion and were kept in for 24hrs.

The other amusing crash in the circus was when I had to bunny hop members of the audience. Now the arena was quite tight, so once you got 7 or 8 people in a line to bunny hop, you'd have to do an air on one quarter pipe, almost immediately bunny hop and then land just in time to air the quarter pipe at the other end of the arena. I once got the timing wrong and clipped the first person with my back wheel, did a superman impression over all of them, before landing headfirst on the transition of the quarterpipe at the other end of the arena. I was only knocked out for about 30 seconds that time  ::)

motomagII

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 12:09 PM »
broken ribs last week  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  whats your worst ramppark accident

gfxgfx
gfx gfx