gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975769 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 06, 2024, 03:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Chris Young
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chris Young  (Read 26654 times)

dialledbikes

Chris Young
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Didn't know whether to put this in racing or freestyle as I know Chris started out as a racer on Mongoose but gained most of his fame as a freestyler on Skyway/Haro.

Anyway, was packing my stuff up today at Hayes when an old geezer and another fella started chatting to me.  Turns out it was Chris Young (former Mongoose, Skyway and Haro pro) and his parents.  Chris is keen to get back into BMX (tried to buy a cruiser today) and I also told him about this site as I guess there will be people on here who knew or rode with him.

I mentioned that Billy Stupple frequented this site and he seemed keen to get back in touch and maybe even meet up with the old school fresstylers at one of the Rom reunions you guys have.

Anyway, if anyone out there knows Chris and would like to get in touch with him I have his dad's e-mail address to pass on.

It sounds like Chris still has it in the skills department as he told me he 360'd the Hayes Pro doubles today on a borrowed bike!  Wish I'd seen that, cos I always thought Chris was a rad rider.  One of my earliest memories of BMX was a Mongoose ad in OBMX featuring Andy Ruffell, Matt Oakley and Chris Young.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Chris Young
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:16 PM »
That is good news   :)   He's had his share of problems in recent years....

I rode regularly with him on the Skyliners team, and at Rom of course.  Would love to see him back on a bike   :)

jeff spicoli

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:18 PM »
chris was a great rider I rode with him a few times but he left bmx just as it was getting really big. It would be good to see him back at Rom.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Mike I`d love to get in touch, could you pm his e-mail address to me  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

DR VINOAH

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:25 PM »
that would be ace to get chris on rad :4_17_5:

is this the pic u mean?

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 11:29 PM »
look at those snake belly tyres :coolsmiley:

i'd love another couple of sets of those  ;)

jeff spicoli

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 11:30 PM »
I know its Chris Young but who was Chris Bishop?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:33 PM »
Feck knows what happened with Chris`s name on that one, perhaps we`ll get the chance to ask him now  :daumenhoch:

jeff spicoli

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 11:38 PM »
yeah I last saw Chris at the 85 Holeshot and he had left Skyway I think and was without a sponser. I could be wrong . I never saw chris at any shows or comps again. He was bloody good though he rode a lot like you Mr Stupple.

WizardWeb

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47 PM »
In that advert above, why do all but the Ruff appear to be wearing a white fronted shirt over their mongoose top? or have they just been in the wash too often?  ;)

I think I was really getting into it just as Chris Young was getting out of it, so he wasn't in most of the mags I read, but wasn't he in that Dave Spurdens book and the Action Bike Annual?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 11:57 PM »
Yeah we rode together for a couple of years between 82-84, we sort of drifted apart a bit after Peter Hawkins took over as the manager of the Skyway team after the Skyway European tour of 83, Chris was off the team and Craig was in. We still rode as the Skyway team for the first Kellogs though as our names must have been put forward before the split, so Chris rode instead of Craig even though he wasn`t on the freestyle team at that time. Last time I saw Chris was at the first holeshot do at the Sobel centre, and I remember him starting his run with a long one footed peg wheelie (manual). I believe he had a stint on Haro after that with Rob Bell. Be nice to meet him again  :daumenhoch:

69ner

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 12:36 AM »
bill were you a factory rider over here? im reading through the lines here! if you were please excusa my ignoramus did you meet up with the factory riders from usa?

Trev

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 12:47 AM »
Yeah we rode together for a couple of years between 82-84, we sort of drifted apart a bit after Peter Hawkins took over as the manager of the Skyway team after the Skyway European tour of 83, Chris was off the team and Craig was in. We still rode as the Skyway team for the first Kellogs

bill were you a factory rider over here? im reading through the lines here! if you were please excusa my ignoramus did you meet up with the factory riders from usa?

Reading between the lines?  I think you should read the lines before trying to read between them  :LolLolLolLol:

69ner

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 12:52 AM »
i have a photo memory i just take snap shots and move on  .i have a very busy and hectic life sometimes i dont read enuff ,thanks for pointing out my errors , i  have a question for bill anyways about the skyway team of the time

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 02:32 AM »

cool news

69ner

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 02:42 AM »
hey welcome to the rad mr chris young whover you are !the bigest trick of all (in my opinion) is not  to  take life to seriously also if things are getting you down think about the goodtimes ,you vant a laff ill be on the gate with you this year are you ready? i race your ass

zed4130

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 08:19 AM »
is it the same chris young who was sponserd by haro and did he have a pk ripper if yes i saw you at harrow sk8 park in about 82 . :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:04 PM by zed4130 »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 04:57 PM »
hey welcome to the rad mr chris young whover you are !the bigest trick of all (in my opinion) is not  to  take life to seriously also if things are getting you down think about the goodtimes ,you vant a laff ill be on the gate with you this year are you ready? i race your ass

A word of advice for you young man;   I suspect you know nothing of Chris and his life after BMX.  I only know what i've heard and what I've read, which is of course gonna be very wide of the truth i'm sure.... but still, a friend is a friend to me and I'll be welcoming him with open arms.

I suggest you be cool and keep you words of wisdom to yourself until you've met the man and got to know him.  Fair enough?

69ner

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 05:04 PM »
i dont know the guyyour  right , i have read nothing and know nothing about the guy so why would i judge him? i never made a rude remark whatsoever just chalanged the guy to a race thats all ! fair enuff old man?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 05:05 PM »
No.

master mixer

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 05:10 PM »
mr 69ner,u always say bad things about everyone

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 05:11 PM »
Chris was a great bloke, and a good racer b4 freestyle took off, it would be great to get him on here, even better if he can make ROM. Now wheres Craig and fraser Cambell???
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 05:22 PM »
its all good news ,i would love to see chris ride again,i last saw him at mr scott webs gaff he was of on a road trip in a converted van with his mate .he was an inspiration btd a good old schooler .i wouldnt mind his pops email so i can put him back in contact with barry as they were good friends.marvelous stuff  :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Chris was a great bloke, and a good racer b4 freestyle took off, it would be great to get him on here, even better if he can make ROM. Now wheres Craig and fraser Cambell???

Fraser Cambell can be seen skating in and around London,  Craig is DJing and skating (the last I heard).

One for Billstup and Chris Young;  What happened to Andy Heath?  I'd love to see him again but sadly I've heard bad things - i sincerely hope they're untrue  :(

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 05:33 PM »
Are you in contact with Barry the Dan, if you are then pass on my best wishes to him, and what do you want to know then Mark, and make sure it`s a fit question for the site, or pm me  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Chris Young

gfxgfx
gfx gfx