gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.  (Read 7524 times)

P0LL0

Re: Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Any oldschooler will be fine for a ride out along the paths with the wife and kids but thats what we all said we'd do!!!! you'll see!  ;)

akh666

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Great news. Old schoolers are Ok for gentle ride outs. Good, now back to searching.

I really fancy a Quadangle as I think they are about the best looking bike out there (personal opinion only).

So here it is, whats the safest bet Street Beat, Haro Freestyler Sport, Master or FST, or the Quad?

Any help would be great and you`ve all been tops so far and if anyone is selling any of these please let me know.

When I finally get one I`ll send in some pics from A+E.

Cheers all.

jstring

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 04:01 PM »
I just get the slightest feeling that you would quite like a Quad. Am I right?

I say build the bike you love.  Quads are cool.  You will only regret it if you don't.

Have you seen the re-issued Quads?

http://www.sebikes.com/2007/news.asp?id=95

Personally, I would buy original but it looks rather nice! (and the brakes will work! - oh no! I'm slagging off old school again!)

akh666

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 04:12 PM »
Yes would love a Quad but just concerned about strength as they look a bit feeble.

I like the look of the reissue looptail but its all about the Old School for me.

I want that feeling back from the Eighties when it all went mental, oh god I sound like I`m trying to recapture my youth. I guess I am.

What it all boils down to is buying the bikes now that mum and dad couldn`t afford then.

I need to see a councillor.

Anyway I love the Haro`s though and Skyway have that certain something.

Thanks again

duncan

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 04:20 PM »
A reissue Quad would be a good buy, should be collectible too as they are only making a few.

The old ones were designed to be light for Racing, not really to be incredibly strong.
Just looking at my frame here, and although there are many tubes they are smaller diameter even than a GT race frame, it's quite delicate really.

Many freestylers used them, but we were all a lot lighter 20 years ago. Plus the 'rusting from the inside' issue.

Old for show, new for go.

jstring

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2006, 04:31 PM »
I would have to agree that my recollection is that quads were really used for racing but were used for some very early freestyle (a bit like pk rippers really - having said that when I mentioned aluminium frames breaking earlier - it was a ripper).  But what are you really planning to do on it?  If you even slightly suspect that you may get into it all a bit again, I would steer towards a master or a streetbeat.

Old for show, old for go, new for thinking about.......and then buying old anyway.

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2006, 05:14 PM »
If you're going to ride it then I'd go for a Streetbeat, so if you bend it you can get another pretty cheap(ish), although there's plenty of '85  Haro Masters around as well if you dont mind splashing out a bit more.

duncan

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Old for show, old for go, new for thinking about.......and then buying old anyway.

I know what you mean though, oldschool bikes have a unique look.
I'm not sure if the new looptail Quad is built as an exact replica, or will be more sturdy.
At least it's new metal. As others have said a Streetbeat or TA will be a lot stronger I'd think (assuming no damage)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2006, 06:21 PM »
The big problem is not the f/f but the stem, although I find the new school bikes a lot more stable once in the air than an old school. When I got back into bmx a couple of years back it was on a Haro Master and nobody was going to tell me that new school was better, but after six months I was completely new school  ::)

Here`s some pics why :

I still use a T/A for old school races, but once the bike leaves the ground it has a mind of its own as to where its going  :crazy2:

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Trev

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Old school bikes aren't exactly made out of putty but they are weak compared to what we have now.

I was about 8-9 stone when I used to ride a Skyway.  I'm sure we've all put on a bit of weight since then, hence weakness of the old frames would come to light a lot quicker.

There was less pressure on frames back then just from the trick range back then.  Kickturns on a trick ramp or low airs out of a 6-8ft vincent ramp were hardly going to cause too much damage.  Nowdays there are so many variations of a ramps, that more extreme jumps / airs are being done.  Tailwhips airs / jumps / flyouts appear to be fairly basic to today's riders, and I'm sure the old school bikes wouldn't be able to take the pounding whilst learning them.

As for Skyways being strong.....just ask Carlo how many street beats he used to go through.....ok i know we weren't all doing 14-15ft airs back then.... I think at one time Carlo and Matt were breaking almost as many as were being sold.

I would love an old school bike to ride that had new school strength and new school brakes. I think Haro are doing that sort of thing.

akh666

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 11:02 PM »
I appreciate the pics of that poor Haro but the question is can I do that kind of damage going down a kerb or over a tree root because thats about as heavy as I intend to go. I don`t even think I could pull off a wheelie anymore so ramp work is not going to happen. For me its all about the bike and how it looks. I understand fully the whole show bike scene but for me getting on a genuine Old Schooler and actually riding it would be the ideal. BMX has definately evolved over the last 25 yrs and it appears more "street" now than back then when the magazines were full of team riders donning full Team wear and helmets. Thats what BMX is for me and i`ve been away from it for 20yrs (although ESPN Classic has brought it to the fore again). Got to say though its nice to be back and reminiscing again. Thanks everyone.

ET has got a lot to answer to. .........Oh and on that note I would love a Kuwahara as well......and a BSA Bullet with chopper handle bars.Sad. :idiot2:

selfpreservation

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 11:20 PM »
i ride my 83 supergoose dont wanna break any bmx records but ride the track ,street local skateparks ect , but i have to say i have bent bars cranks ect just from baling , if i had any room in my gaff for another bike i probably would get a brute ugly new school bike to ride , ive never been on one , i dont even like them but the guys on the site know what they are talking about and if they say new school is best to ride and the radest guys on the planet ride new school then new school it is , they handle better they are bomb proof and they are cheaper

akh666

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 11:38 PM »
I am sure I would benefit from a New Schoolers strength, ride etc but thats not the point. I want an Old Schooler for me and me only so it has to be just that otherwise there would no point to all of this. Its all about whats gone before and what was considered cool when I was a kid and nothing more. Saying that though I also don`t want to make an arse of myself on a bike with brittle bones. I just want to ride and care for my own bike and a BMX from BITD is the one of choice.

By the way NOS is what i`m after, a survivor carries too much risk.

Once again thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

duncan

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 10:39 PM »
I want an Old Schooler for me and me only so it has to be just that otherwise there would no point to all of this.
Its all about whats gone before and what was considered cool when I was a kid and nothing more.

Absolutely. I've stopped myself from buying a desirable bike a few times because it was 'after my time', and I suddenly questioned why I was considering it.
Case in point would be a 90's PK Ripper. Beautiful bikes, but I'll stick to pre-'87, because to be honest my 20" bikes will not be used unless I ever make it to a RAD meet.
Why buy one that doesn't have a personal connection if, as in my case, it's not going to be used.
I know your going to use yours, but I suppose similar reasons apply about bikes you had or remember seeing.

NOS oldschool Quadangle F&F's pop up occasionally on Ebay and on this site. You could place a wanted ad too.
One just went on Ebay for £350, so they're not cheap.
The past few I've seen from the US have been around the $500 (£265) mark, but after shipping and import duty it could be much the same.
The good news is they can still be found, unlike NOS Rippers which go for £700+ for F&F alone, and usually attract a lot of bidders/last minute snipers.

If you were to buy a complete NOS-built bike you would probably find the frameset is considerably cheaper when all the parts are taken into account.
Just keep searching :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 11:06 PM by duncan »

akh666

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 11:36 PM »
Cheers. I will. And thanks for the advice.

The search continues.

Trev

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 12:22 AM »
In all honesty, if I were in your shoes and was adamant that I would not be doing any proper riding, then I would definitely buy an old school bike and definitely a street beat. i think what me and a lot of other people on here were thinking is that you'll get an old school bike just for a gentle ride here and there, then think this is fun and try and learn something new and before long be itching to learn as many new tricks as you can. i would just say, try and remember back when you use to ride and remember the buzz you got the first time you pulled a trick you'd be trying for ages. i can't imagine any ex-rider buying a bike and not being curious about what they could still do. you may try a trick that you use to love and get close now, and you'll think "i know i can pull that" and before long you'll constantly try to pull it, then you'll want more... bmx riding is a drug. you may want to dabble with it, but before you know what going on, you are fully focused on pushing your skills to a new level.... you have been warned....

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2006, 03:12 AM »
The big problem is not the f/f but the stem, although I find the new school bikes a lot more stable once in the air than an old school.

Can't say I have this problem..  The only time my bike gets air is when i lift it into the back of the car  :LolLolLolLol:
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

lloydieboy

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 12:03 PM »
This is on the Bay, very tasty... and pricey...

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-QUADANGLE-F-F_W0QQitemZ280041361492QQihZ018QQcategoryZ64644QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks everyone.

Can anyone tell me whether the Quadangle would make a good rider? I feel like splashing out on what could possibly be my only BMX purchase. My kitty has just risen by £100. Thanks again.

akh666

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2006, 07:19 PM »
I know one thing, if I did try and pull any adventurous tricks I`d end up in casualty.

I was sawing wood yesterday and feel like I`ve been beat up.

So defo no major tricking for me. But then maybe............nahh. The voices in my head......stop.

akh666

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Anyone tell me the difference between the Skyway streetbeat, streetscene and streetstyler? besides the oval tubing.Thanks

Trev

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 07:34 PM »

The street beat was prodiminantly just a frame and fork set. the street styler was a complete bike. i had both, and couldn't see any difference in the frames...maybe the metal was slightly stronger on the street beat?? the street scene was a budget freestyle bike. very weak, no ridged top tube and flatter around the seat tube. i think might have been hi-ten steel frame too....

i'm sure someone will correct me though....   :-\

akh666

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2006, 07:59 PM »
Thanks for that, stay away then?

madall

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 11:34 PM »
Nonsence, The street beat is strong enough for me a 16 stone rugby player.... maybe im smother than all u old farts on here as I have never bent or broke wheels in my life even now the beat with a tuff neck and flights strong as you'll need

Trev

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 11:35 PM »
depends on what you are staying away from. the street beat and street styler will be plenty strong enough if you're not going to push it to it's limits... if you are just intending on cruising on an old school, then a street scene should also suffice.

akh666

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Nonsence, The street beat is strong enough for me a 16 stone rugby player.... maybe im smother than all u old farts on here as I have never bent or broke wheels in my life even now the beat with a tuff neck and flights strong as you'll need

Thanks but the "weak" reference was for the Streetscene and not the beat. But thanks for info and demo.Impressive.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx