gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sugino BB - installing problems?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sugino BB - installing problems?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Sugino BB - installing problems?
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I tried to install a set of sugino sealed bottom bracket bearings yesterday. (usual method - blocks of wood a big hammer).

However the bearings are soo tight, any one else had this problem - I dont want to split the bottom bracket of the frame (they are that tight) I looked at the bearings after trying and they have a little grove round them now from where the frame has skimmed / some of the ally off them. (almost like a lathe).

Should I file down the bearing case slightly? - just a little to ease them in.

Or should I take them to a shop and have them professionally pressed in - again I doubt they will take responsiblity if the frame splits?

Cheers
Dan

theRuler

Re: Sugino BB - installing problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:10 AM »
get them pressed in

some bearing are super tight

my friend bought a new school flite crank for his NOS 85 fst, and i could not get the bearing cups in

they just wouldnt go. he had to take it to a bike shop where they had a good press.

it's the first time, in my 23 years of bmx building i have been beaten by a BB.

but once in a while you do get tight ones!

Goose1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:27 AM »
I knocked up one of these for problem BB's, works a treat. :)

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I had a similar problem with my PL24. Turns out the chain stay tubes projected into the BB shell and were stopping the cups from pushing in, wheras open BB cups went in no trouble. You could try freezing the cups to shrink em. I have a Cyclus cup press in my boot if that's any help or encouragement. (am in Barnet for the next 1 1/2 hrs, LOL)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Thanks all!

Goose - its funny, because that's exactly the sort of tool I was thinking of making up yesterday when I was working on it - but I knew that I didn't have those type of washer to hand!

But seeing as how I can't even get them in more than 5mm or so, I think I might seek a press!

Its a test I just know it - I will try to resist getting the sledge hammer out again and then crying ten minutes later!

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 02:39 PM »
Dan,to be honest,i dont risk it,i just sit down with a fairly coarse flat file(dont forget to take into account the safe edge of the file so as not to damage the cup flange.Or get mr dremell out!

Dave.

Bren Gunn

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I would not risk a popped bottom bracket...  trim the cups with a file, and go easy :daumenhoch:

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Cheers all: Done & Dusted

Filed it down a little (5mm what was I thinking, it was more like 1/2mm too big all round) Then used the old wood block and hammer method.

Cheers
Dan

Frosty

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Dan,

That's looking sweet already! Nice frame and very complimentary cranks (Cooks)?

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 10:42 AM »
The're Cook Bros (mid 80's - big writting)

The frame is a copy  (but its nice, so I thought I give it a good build up)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sugino BB - installing problems?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx