gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DC MX1000 Resto
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DC MX1000 Resto  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
DC MX1000 Resto
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:14 PM »
So I'm just trying to show a little :radbmxsmilie: spirit here, and do another member a little favour.

A while back on here a member had a Wanted ad posted up for a silver Dia Compe MX1000 caliber. Another member (selling his brothers stuff, can't think who that was  :-\  :LolLolLolLol:) offered a faded red example. The guy looking for one wasn't too sure about stripping and polishing so I offered.

As such I thought I'd run a little thread on the task, in case it inspires others, as it's really not too big a job. Anyway, enjoy:

So as it arrived (the control's just obscuring the senders address):

And then stripped down as much as possible:

Then out with the 'scary stuff':

Then after 1 minute - you can just see the colour starting to come off:

and 3 - you see lots of foaming as the acid takes grip:

and finally 5 minutes in:

and et voila (SAFETY WARNING!!! wear gloves unless you have leather hands!  :LolLolLolLol:):

And then the second arm:

same process as above, but also taking a mini bladed screwdriver to get into some of the difficult areas:

Now this arm was being a bit of a basket, around the recesses

So, normally this just means, no worries, round 2

But interestingly this area has proved a little madam. The ano just won't shift (in fact it seems to have spread if anything after a second coat - not had that happen before). So thank god it's getting a fresh decal over it  :LolLolLolLol:. Anyway, after a further 5 plus minutes on the second arm and a good run under a hot tap (very important to get all of the acid residue off as otherwise it will continue to work away and start to eat the metal):

That's all for now folks. Tomorrow we'll 'see the light' when the polishing starts.

Then some fettling work will be required to assist the quick release back to a more natural shape:

Oh yeah, and wifey came out to finish loading the dishwasher midway through my antics  :LolLolLolLol: Needless to say she knows me well by now and just chuckled

Enjoy, and tune in tomorrow if your interested  :popcorn:

Oh yeah, if the new owner could please check their pm and let me know whether they'ed also like the lever stripped it would be much appreciated. Cheers  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:17 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: DC MX1000 Resto
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Great job so far. Dia Compe calipers/levers polish up a treat. I'm sure they'll end up looking amazing  explosion

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:22 PM »
Great job so far. Dia Compe calipers/levers polish up a treat. I'm sure they'll end up looking amazing  explosion

Yes, should do, my last turned out like this (so hopefully this guys will look ok):

Only part I'm unsure on is how well the QR will finish up, but I'll give it a good go for him  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29 AM »
Try some nail varnish remover over the unaffected area Pete... could be a little sticker residue left on there. Oven pride won't shift the anno if there's any traces.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:46 AM »
You actually left the original decal on the brake in that recess, you can see the edges of it in this picture  ;)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:51 AM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:42 AM »
You actually left the original decal on the brake in that recess, you can see the edges of it in this picture  ;)

I actually thought the same  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Nice work  :4_17_5:

I find using a resealable freezer bag useful for putting the bits in, helps to trap those delicious fumes inside and you can rub the stuff in using your hands (an old toothbrush is good for getting in the nooks and crannies but as Nick says you need to make sure they're free of any residue etc)

Offline kjilaja

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Nice to see how the process is done,big thanks to pete for doing this for me,a true gent,answer to your question mate,yes would like the lever doing also,thanks again mate.... :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13 AM »
Nice to see how the process is done,big thanks to pete for doing this for me,a true gent,answer to your question mate,yes would like the lever doing also,thanks again mate.... :daumenhoch:

No problem my friend. A little progress last night, and thanks to others for highlighting the sticker was still there - just shows how bad my eye sights getting!  :LolLolLolLol: I'm a new glasses wearing fool, after 44 years of 20-20 vision my eye sight fell of a cliff - this getting old sucks  >:(

Anyway, got the sticker off, got the rest of the ano of, now ready for polish. I'll post a little update later  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39 AM »

No problem my friend. A little progress last night, and thanks to others for highlighting the sticker was still there - just shows how bad my eye sights getting!  :LolLolLolLol: I'm a new glasses wearing fool, after 44 years of 20-20 vision my eye sight fell of a cliff - this getting old sucks  >:(

Anyway, got the sticker off, got the rest of the ano of, now ready for polish. I'll post a little update later  :daumenhoch:

I've done worse!  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DC MX1000 Resto

gfxgfx
gfx gfx