gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 10:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Axle pegs???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Axle pegs???  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Axle pegs???
« on: July 26, 2016, 06:41 PM »
Hi everybody!

I would like to buy some axle pegs for my '85 GT Performer, but I'm pretty unsure about which ones are good.

As I was reading about os-pegs, there seem to be a basic rule regarding the threads like: 26-tpi's for spoked wheels (such as Araya 7x's/Suzue sealed hubs) and probably 24-tpi's for mags (such as '85 O.G.K-Mags).
My first question would be, is that true?

I've also read about people having regretted using axle pegs, as they had bent axles after using them.
Is this something to be concerned about in any case?

Most of the os-axle pegs seem to replace the wheel nuts. Would 18mm at the rear-axle and 20mm at the front-axle be enough to use some pegs in order to get a solid connection, or should I use longer axles aswell?

As there are many different types of GT-pegs (for example) - some quite slim and others quite thick - I'm also unsure about which ones to go for.
I would like to get some that don't add too much weight, as I already have some fork standers on and some frame standers will follow soon (if I can some that don't go for crazy money). 
Any advices, even recommendations of pegs by other manufacturers are welcome. I'm still quite new to this and don't know as much about all the parts as most of you guys do, therefore some pics would be superb and very much appreciated. :coolsmiley: It would make my life much easier to tell them apart.

As always, many thanks in advance for your time and sharing your knowledge!  :bow:

Fine regards,

Andy

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Re: Axle pegs???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Hiya Andy,if you Intend to stand on them then try to get as much axle in there as possible. This makes the peg themselves stronger & limits the possibility of the axle bending too. If you just want the look enough threads to just hold em on is fine  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:02 PM »
These are proper old 80's one's, don't weigh alot either

Got some slightly different ones kicking about somewhere, will have a look mate

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Andy,
There are two thread sizes yes 24tpi and 26tpi. As far as I know it is only some Skyways which come in 24tpi...not all mags.
My Peregrines are 26tpi and they are made by OGK so I imagine they would be the same...or I could be wrong. Try a nut off your Arayas on your mags...
20mm of axle should be enough to hold them on and take some weight. They can bend the axles though if seriously abused...They make certain tricks easier than with standers.
If your wheels are different threads it is possible to buy pegs which are double ended and will fit both. Pegs got thicker as time went on but most of the early 80's pegs were fairly skinny. Skyway pegs are fairly easy to get hold of and work well... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 01:50 AM »
Thanks Rich and Damo for your replies!  :daumenhoch: 

The nuts work on both axles (Mags and Arayas), so I should go for 26 tpi pegs?

I actually want to use'em, but "only" to step on, so I'm not about to try some grinding tricks. My plan is to use 'em just for the good old freestyle ground tricks (Lawn Mower, Pogos or Back Hops Gras Hopper etc.). I don't know if that is a serious abuse?
I think shorter ones would do as I have pretty small feet, so don't need much space for a solid footing. I'm a pretty light weight person aswell (under 60kg). But just for more stability I should maybe find some longer axles that still work with my Suzue sealed hubs. 

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:55 AM »
These are proper old 80's one's, don't weigh alot either

Got some slightly different ones kicking about somewhere, will have a look mate

Thanks for uploading a pic! These look pretty much like some I could imagine on my bike.  :daumenhoch:
Just send me a pm if you find some. Thanks in advance mate!  :coolsmiley:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 05:19 PM »
No problem bud, give me a shout in a couple of days, I'm bound to forget  :teef:

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 05:27 PM »
No problem bud, give me a shout in a couple of days, I'm bound to forget  :teef:

I can manage that!   :daumenhoch: 

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 12:44 PM »
I bent a few axles!  But these worked the best,  I think they are Haro Fusion.  They screw on but I have also put the wheel nuts on with like on modern pegs to keep them on tight for Miami Hoppers etc.

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply!  :daumenhoch:  I'm far away from Miami Hoppers.
Had some of these on my radar aswell, but they look as they are heavy little things. The idea of keeping the wheel-nuts is clever!
If would like the look, I could go for some new ones made of some light weight material. Which are usually bolt on with wheel nuts. I was told they don't torture the axles as much as directly bolt-on ones. 

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Modern pegs are better and lighter!

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Modern pegs are better and lighter!

I know, but they look a bit odd on an 85 Performer. I will try to get some short os-style pegs for the front. But I can use modern pegs on my Mid School Dyno.  :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Axle pegs???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx