gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:11 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Badda Boom Brake Bosses?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Badda Boom Brake Bosses?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Badda Boom Brake Bosses?
« on: May 14, 2016, 12:35 PM »
I bought some Unknown Badda Boom forks recently (you might have seen them on eBay) in the mistaken belief that buying the screw-in brake bosses afterwards would be a simple 'purchase and install' deal.
Not so. Best laid plans and all that.
Although the diameter's fine (10mm), the threads on the bosses are too fine and won't fit. Numerous possibilities present themselves:
Have some custom made with the correct threads. Not really doable by someone who buys bike parts on eBay.
Buy 8mm bosses and a thread adaptor. IF one exists that fits both sizes. Also, as with using a helicoil, strength could be a factor.
Abandon the chrome finish and have some welded on. IF that's possible.
Use a 990 plate. Haven't held one up against the forks yet, but the only problem I can see is that the hole is triangular and the bolt is round. Is that an issue or a needless concern?
Ask for the right thing, a pair of the correct bosses exists but they're not what was ordered. Instead, on the sage advice from this very site, an order should be placed for some "xxxxxx from xxxxxxx, with a xxxxx thread pitch".
Appeal to my fellow riders, who may have an unused pair in a poly bag at the bottom of their toolbox or in that kitchen drawer that's full of old tut.

The one option that isn't on the table is going brakeless. Oh no.

As ever, your advice is appreciated.

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Badda Boom Brake Bosses?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:20 PM »
'Bodged' for now, think this'll hold up? The curved washers have been shaved down for max contact and there's a sleeve inside to prevent any squashing of the tube, not that it's that likely. Seems to be as rigid as a regular mount.

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:15 AM »
Have you been to a decent bmx shop & had a rummage through the brake mount kits? Not all mounts use the same size or pitch  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Have you been to a decent bmx shop & had a rummage through the brake mount kits? Not all mounts use the same size or pitch  :daumenhoch:

Don't I bloody know it. I've been to Waller in Sheff a few times now for parts and asked poor Tom to look for stuff. They've a pretty good selection of plastic boxes with bits in, but no joy was had.
Alpha BMX said Mafia use a thread that they don't carry, maybe it's that one. So the very helpful Kyer is sending me a pair that I can return if they're no good.
I guess I'l know next week.
By the way, they had two compression caps in stock and neither fitted, so that's another damn quest. I'll probably end up just bodging it with a star nut.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Badda Boom Brake Bosses?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx