gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Race guys from bitd.....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Race guys from bitd.....  (Read 1165 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Race guys from bitd.....
« on: January 13, 2016, 10:54 AM »
.... Did any of you lads ever race freestyle frames or race frames with freestyle add ons like fork standers?
Was it even allowed?  ???
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Race guys from bitd.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:58 AM »
I was wondering the same thing about racing a freestyle frame the other day. From what I remember there was a no peg rule so that will probably apply to anything else poking out.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I am sure it would have been more the other way round...with people using race frames for freestyle before proper freestyle frames came out. There would have been the odd exception I imagine, I daresay someone would have used a freestyle frame to race on some occasion but would have been rare...and probably would have been an earlier freestyler without add ons! Someone must of broke their race frame and grabbed the nearest thing available for the next race!!
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

In2bmx

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55 AM »
I Remember one of my mate racing his DP Freestyler . :daumenhoch:  Only at club level ..

It wouldn't have be allowed in regional or national level   :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Definately no pegs etc, sticking out, Clint. Twin top tubes were been allowed, as Torkers were built for race, not freestyle. I think most types of frames would have been allowed as long as they didn't have built in foot standers like RL20II's, and Trickstar's with the top tubes protruding out the rear, or forks with add ons or welded in threads for screw pegs and welded on foot standers like Haro and Kuwahara  :)
BANNED

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Every bike went throught scrutineering before the racing started, they wouldn't have accepted anything 'sticking out' or sharp/dangerous.

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:56 PM »
I raced a GT aggressor in early '92. On 48 spoke wheels with a gyro. Took front brake and pegs off. My MRD
 broke and i had to save for a new race frame.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:44 PM »
freestyle frames were indeed raced even at National level in the early days before all the pegs and other bolt on bits.
Chris young is a prime example, he was still a Number 1 plate when he got his Gen 1 haro from Bob in 1982 and so he raced that aswell as freestyling it.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Hmmm interesting. Was watching bits of Rad last night and deffo saw a trickstar in the first races and chrome Gt folding fork standers in the last race along with some welded fork pegs on a white bike. I know it's just a film but got me thinking  ???
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Hmmm interesting. Was watching bits of Rad last night and deffo saw a trickstar in the first races and chrome Gt folding fork standers in the last race along with some welded fork pegs on a white bike. I know it's just a film but got me thinking  ???

It's

A

Film

:LolLolLolLol:

Even the Z on the CW Phase 1 had to be padded up. Made the gimmick useless. And you couldn't see when you snapped it!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Baldbmxer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 06:58 PM »
I had a DP freestyler as my 'thrash bike'. I raced it. It was shit. Really shit.

Also had a Redline Prostyler f&f I bought raw of Geth Shooter. Longer in the front end than my PL20 but steeper head angle. It was great, loved it and got a 3rd at a UKBMX National at Wigan's Three Sisters track in 1987.

Later sold it to a kid from Knottingley called Andy White, he's now known as Whitey and is a guitarist in the Kaiser Cheifs. He still has it.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 09:02 PM »

Julian at Hayes in 83, had pegs, ripped spokes out of a ruffells wheel........time to leave

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 10:17 PM »

Julian at Hayes in 83, had pegs, ripped spokes out of a ruffells wheel........time to leave

OOps!   :-[
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 01:20 AM »
I had a DP freestyler as my 'thrash bike'. I raced it. It was shit. Really shit.

Also had a Redline Prostyler f&f I bought raw of Geth Shooter. Longer in the front end than my PL20 but steeper head angle. It was great, loved it and got a 3rd at a UKBMX National at Wigan's Three Sisters track in 1987.

Later sold it to a kid from Knottingley called Andy White, he's now known as Whitey and is a guitarist in the Kaiser Cheifs. He still has it.

Is he on rad? I wonder how many celeb (i uses the term loosely) types are into old/mid school and are lurkers/members on rad? There must be one or two.. Isn't Robbie Williams into old school, and one of Kasabian members supposedly has a Kuwahara ET from the film... Can anyone confirm or expand on the above?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Race guys from bitd.....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx