gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Wanted & Trade Section
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wanted & Trade Section  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Wanted & Trade Section
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 08:31 PM »
due to a phenomenal lack of interest
But why though? Why is it so dead on the BMX front? Are people just not interested anymore? Getting out and riding is a big part of it, and with the crap weather here now, makes it less inviting, but people have just disappeared from it all   :-\
BANNED

griff

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 01:06 AM »
due to a phenomenal lack of interest
But why though? Why is it so dead on the BMX front? Are people just not interested anymore? Getting out and riding is a big part of it, and with the crap weather here now, makes it less inviting, but people have just disappeared from it all   :-\

The night is still going ahead, but just for people to ride

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 07:22 AM »
But would you still need a site tag to trade and swap etc?

I think that the wanted section should be for site tag holders, the same as for sales, that's just my opinion though. On the rare occasions I've had anything for sale I try and make sure that stuff goes to people who support the community ;)

I tend to look at any new posts that come up, regardless of whether relevant or not (I'm not building anything now, but still like to look and quite often entertaining posts pop up where you don't expect them)

Could we not have a parts amnesty drive to encourage everyone to sell one item from their hoard ?
Maybe a "sell your spare to keep it Rad" week or month ?

I only have one spare part, a NOS TT Products double decka (blackberry) was going to put it on my Curtis until Clint kindly sorted me out with an alternative
If anyone wants that then get in touch, £20 in the RAD pot covers UK postage to a UK address & I'll bung in an MK15 patch

Sometimes the simple reasons provide the simple answers. Closing a section to which so many would find useful, that massively outnumbers SST is starving the very essence of what this hobby is about, sourcing parts to build a BMX. If people in themselves cannot see or agree to a logic then you encourage them to seek alternative methods and we are seeing more and more groups created on facebook that caters for their need which will only drive people away.

Before you know it, you could have such a decline in SST contributions, this place might not be in a position where SST have a real impact on MK weekends at all.

This place used to be my BMX home, going back to 2005 and before that on the old site when I was not registered and only browsed.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline Twenty inches of freedom

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 09:17 AM »
I would like to contribute to the site to show support but can't justify it right now so I sell bits on the mid school page on fb. Maybe after Xmas…

I was part of a similar discussion on another site recently where you have to be a club member to access for sale and wanted sections but people are realising that eBay and Facebook are more likely to give results for what they need. In fact some people joined just because they think all the unobtainable parts will be there, which they are not. But I like this site where you can see items but can't message unless you have an sst.

griff

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 11:29 AM »

I think that the wanted section should be for site tag holders, the same as for sales, that's just my opinion though. On the rare occasions I've had anything for sale I try and make sure that stuff goes to people who support the community ;)

I tend to look at any new posts that come up, regardless of whether relevant or not (I'm not building anything now, but still like to look and quite often entertaining posts pop up where you don't expect them)

Could we not have a parts amnesty drive to encourage everyone to sell one item from their hoard ?

I only have one spare part, a NOS TT Products double decka (blackberry) was going to put it on my Curtis until Clint kindly sorted me out with an alternative
If anyone wants that then get in touch, £20 in the RAD pot covers UK postage to a UK address & I'll bung in an MK15 patch

Sometimes the simple reasons provide the simple answers. Closing a section to which so many would find useful, that massively outnumbers SST is starving the very essence of what this hobby is about, sourcing parts to build a BMX. If people in themselves cannot see or agree to a logic then you encourage them to seek alternative methods and we are seeing more and more groups created on facebook that caters for their need which will only drive people away.

Before you know it, you could have such a decline in SST contributions, this place might not be in a position where SST have a real impact on MK weekends at all.

This place used to be my BMX home, going back to 2005 and before that on the old site when I was not registered and only browsed.

I think most people who have tags nowadays are doing it more to support the community/MK than anything else. Ask anyone who's been to MK whether they think it's good value and I reckon you'll get a similar response.

Only reason I commented about the wanted section is that it would be consistent with the sales section.
What I can say though is that if I did have something to sell, I'd be much more inclined to offer it to a tag holder - e.g. When I sold my Haro master I made it a condition of the sale that the guy got one first

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 12:11 PM »

I think most people who have tags nowadays are doing it more to support the community/MK than anything else. Ask anyone who's been to MK whether they think it's good value and I reckon you'll get a similar response.

Only reason I commented about the wanted section is that it would be consistent with the sales section.
What I can say though is that if I did have something to sell, I'd be much more inclined to offer it to a tag holder - e.g. When I sold my Haro master I made it a condition of the sale that the guy got one first

If you sell a bike to a SST holder, on here, there's very little chance that it won't turn up a week later on a FB page, with an inflated selling price*.

I prefer to know that something I've sold, has gone to a good home, Ant with my Street Beat, for example.

I offered my Patty as a complete, for £875, about £125 less than it cost to build, a deal set for a tag holder only. I added a link to the FB page, following the rules, then a guy I've never met/heard of started PMing me (via FB) saying he was desperate for the frame and forks and could I send him a price/details/pics, I told him to follow the link, he said he wasn't a tag holder, spat his dummy, and called me a time waster - I still have the bike.

I'm sorry for those who refuse to buy/don't agree with tag holders seeing the sales/wanted section, it wasn't my rule, however, I wholeheartedly support it, as I know that if I sell on here, there's a high chance it won't be flipped, and the person that buys off me can be assured of a good deal on a part accurately described, and packed and posted correctly, without any drama's. It suits both parties IMHO.

*little chance, not zero chance (ask Gaz Rollin').
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:14 PM by Retrodan72 »

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 02:30 PM »
if they wont shell out a tenner for a SST then I wont sell to them.

rodriguez

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 05:09 PM »
I haven't bought an SST this year first time in about 4/5 years, decided to donate it to charity instead, I try to contribute what I can though in posts to acknowledge peoples projects, vote in the BOTM etc.

I haven't been at MK since I became a member so I haven't benefited from the free event, involving entertainment, free beer, spit roast etc etc but if I knew I was going I'd pay the tenner no problem I'd feel a fraud if I didn't.

There are members who have an SST and make no contribution to the forum whatsoever they log on to access the Market Place and that's it, there are a few so called 'flippers' amongst them too, has been for years.

As the Market Place isn't as exclusive as it used to be, is using it as a lever to prompt the purchase of an SST in the best interest of the forum going forward?  I don't really know but I don't think so.

Is time to find an alternative way to fund MK?

If Radbmx was free with access to all areas with advertising would it attract more members?  Possibly!

Would also address the problem of non-members turning up for a freebie.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:30 PM by rodriguez »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 09:51 PM »
I don't think I have gone without paying for a SST. There was a little while a couple of years ago I did, but paid up eventually  :D  And I have never been to MK. I just hope the non supporters, or people who aren't even members of Rad that turn up to MK have a great time on my £10  ;D

It has kind of drifted off track though. The Market place in general is not how it used to be. There are no bargains to be had anymore, as most of the people selling have had to pay top whack for the parts to start with. All the hoarders, and people who bought when it was all dirt cheap back then and will not sell because they know they will never get it again for what they paid, even if they may never use it, don't post in the for sale section.

I have personally never had anything offered when advertised in the wanted section, although I have had a couple of trades go through. In my opinion, if you are looking to sell, the wanted place should be the first place you look before advertising it, even if it's just the first page. People on the second page+ should learn to bump their pages.

As for advertising on the forum, the Museum has loads of advertising, but Gary still charges you to use the Market place, a mere $22 which is not a lot to us, but if you live in the US, $22 is twice what we pay for Rad. And let's face it, you couldn't get a pack of 20 and a beer from a tenner in the South.
BANNED

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Wanted & Trade Section

gfxgfx
gfx gfx