gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 04:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?  (Read 53220 times)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2006, 10:37 PM »
It could be arranged if you really wanted to do it  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2006, 10:45 PM »
I'm gonna head over there this week to see what it looks like now. There must be someone who could give the nod to clear it

How cool would it be to get the park back again . . . ;)

Steve

gill.b

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2006, 09:24 AM »
I went there about a month ago........half pipe walls were knocked down in 87 with the rest. However have some video footage of that very black day and most of the lips are still intact, and yes it is used as an overspill carpark..but could still be dug up repaired etc. Before an hiring the JCB (i would make contribution) it might be best to approach blacklion smimming pool and/or the council.(Where is Nigel Martin???? he took the vid along with gill day vid and has tones of pics, he moved up to manchesteer near goshen years ago and must be on the  is still on the bmx/skate scene) he was always 110% committed. By the way he was the one who ran 'No softies' back in the day. Simon.

trill

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2006, 05:39 PM »
it would b well worth it if we could dig out that place, such a good park,i don't see why the council would'nt agree i don't think they've got a place  for the kids 2 ride/skate nearby,it is,nt exactly used 4 much. 

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2006, 05:48 PM »
I've never understood why they filled it in the 1st place . . . especially for a car park that hardly gets used  >:(

Steve

trill

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2006, 07:02 PM »
apprently there was some old git that lived over the road that did'nt like the noise of people enjoying them selves and kept on complaning 2 the council. 

gill.b

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2006, 07:25 PM »
the guys name was councillor J.Jennings ......and he moved out immedietly afterwards.........aaaaarrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Have posted a pic to meddle in order to entice the 'shovels' out!!!!!!!!! kind of 'meddlE' to help out as even with miniature file size an 'upload limit' message comes up. Why????Will keep on tryin'.Simon.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Have a read of this Simon it should help you out  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=32.0
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

MeddlE

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2006, 07:52 PM »
Here's the pic

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2006, 08:06 PM »
the guys name was councillor J.Jennings ......and he moved out immedietly afterwards.........aaaaarrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Have posted a pic to meddle in order to entice the 'shovels' out!!!!!!!!! kind of 'meddlE' to help out as even with miniature file size an 'upload limit' message comes up. Why????Will keep on tryin'.Simon.

J. Jennings can rot in hell !!!

My shovel and pick axe are poised ready . . . just need to contact the right people now . . .  :daumenhoch:

Keep the pics coming Simon and thanks for helping out Meddle

Steve

trill

« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2006, 08:14 PM »
im ready when u r , im gonna give which ever council covers giilingham a call in the next coupla days c what they say.

gill.b

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2006, 08:22 PM »
Thanx to for the patience (Billstup & meddlE & co)........have now made a photobucket account........heres another pic.constuction shots of making halfpipe walls!!!!!!

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Great picture Simon . . . reading the text it looks like the Blacklion Sports Complex are the rightful owners and I wouldn't expect they've sold it if they still use it when their main car park gets chokka

Trill . . . I'm gonna make some enquiries too and this could be a new beginning for the park . . . :)

Steve

gill.b

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2006, 08:40 PM »
if you need helping voice...........it would be an honour........for all those that will sale on her! I fear the blacklion will need reassuraces about past behaviour of certain 'elements' and of course insurance issues. research how new parks deal with it might be a good idea before approaching???????

trill

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2006, 08:42 PM »
good work, hope we can revamp it, would love 2 ride that place again.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Insurance and liability cover these days could be the main reason why reopening has never been reconsidered . . . defo worth making some serious enquiries before approaching the Blacklion . . . armed with all the ammunition we need

Perhaps another member can advise about current rules and regs with skate parks  :)

Steve

trill

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2006, 09:01 PM »
i spoke 2 twobobrob about it on sunday he rekons we should'nt mention wanting money they might lose interest and cause we r all adults lol we could say we r doing it 4 the youth of gillinham as well.

gill.b

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2006, 09:33 PM »
Sounds as if we got ourselves a serious posse of responsible adults...........thats want they want to hear. as you say ammunition!

jeff spicoli

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2006, 10:16 PM »
They dug Harrow out so you could show them it has worked already. We could have a rad meet when its done. :daumenhoch:

Trev

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2006, 11:27 PM »
count me in for any help needed. gillingham was the first skatepark i ever rode in (only the once) and it was filled in within a week of me riding it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 05:30 PM by Trev »

gill.b

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2006, 10:22 AM »
there's a few other skaters and riders, Pete Flury, Toby christian, nigel Martin and Jason Creevey that would sell their own limbs to particpate and ride/skate gillingham again..........I dont how to contact them (apart from toby who i skated with recently). Here's another pic to be gettin on with!! notethe amount of earth from the half pipe, pool and skakerun in the background!!! the Rez earth ....we all used to sit on, to the right.

Jim

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Cool thread – it's also been covered on the middle-age-shred website. Rumour has it that the bottom everything was jackhammered before in-fill for drainage reasons. A couple of old school skaters confirmed this as they watched 'em drill it all up. They said it was beyond repair, but that may have been the opinion of a 14 year old some 20 odd years ago. Someone has subsequently found an ariel pic (from Google I think), and the evidence of a park can still clearly be seen.

The reason the P bowl at Harrow  was left alone was apparently because the vert wall was pushed over into the bowl before it was filled in. When they did this, the rebar popped out of the bowl and f'in destroyed it.

All that said, if you can get the green light for a time team dig, lmk – I've got a pickaxe... let's make the pool live again. They dug  the love bowl (in CA) out & fixed it – maybe we should call Tony Robinson.

btw - thank fek John Rom signed another lease - we coulda lost another one.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 05:16 PM by Jim »

gill.b

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I knew (and was one of) the old skaters in gillingham - nigel, Jay,Pete,Fids, toby, glen,Carter & Frenchy etc. docker and billy (who wer e not there) so i dont know who these people could be...........so sad of true. simon.

gill.b

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2006, 05:42 PM »
P.S. I can still remeber going there a few years after and the shapes o f the bowls had longer grass compared to the 'inbetweens'...... this could mean that if the bottoms were broken ...it was not enough????????

MeddlE

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2006, 05:50 PM »
Okay, here is the Google Earth shot of BlackLion now, whereabouts was the skate park?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  how many of u rode gillingham skatepark?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx