gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Coaster brake play
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Coaster brake play  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Redtom

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Coaster brake play
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:45 PM »
When i tighten the play out of my skyway tuff with coaster brake on it, it comes straight back after 5 mins of riding???
The play appears to be around rear cogg. I've just taken it to pieces and all bearings are ok. Can't work out what is wrong. Any help welcome.

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Re: Coaster brake play
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48 PM »
My ogk's are the same, never got to the bottom of it & seem to work fine  :LolLolLolLol:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:08 AM »
You have to tighten the large lock nut against the inner cone nut on the drive side to start with, so they are locked together. Fit the wheel and pull back to get the chain tensioned and tighten the coaster arm side wheel nut against the dropout to stop the wheel moving.

Once you have done that, using the locking nut on the drive side, tighten it towards the bearings. I believe the issue you are having is you are not tightening enough. Coaster Tuff's don't spin freely and smoothly like a wheel with a freewheel fitted. They tend to run a tad 'tight', if you get my drift. Not too tight though, as you will crush the bearings and the wheel will run too tightly. You have to play with it a bit to get the adjustment you require, and it's a fraction here and there, not large turns of the lock nut/cone nut.

I hope that helps a bit buddy  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:12 AM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 01:04 PM »
You have to tighten the large lock nut against the inner cone nut on the drive side to start with, so they are locked together. Fit the wheel and pull back to get the chain tensioned and tighten the coaster arm side wheel nut against the dropout to stop the wheel moving.

Once you have done that, using the locking nut on the drive side, tighten it towards the bearings. I believe the issue you are having is you are not tightening enough. Coaster Tuff's don't spin freely and smoothly like a wheel with a freewheel fitted. They tend to run a tad 'tight', if you get my drift. Not too tight though, as you will crush the bearings and the wheel will run too tightly. You have to play with it a bit to get the adjustment you require, and it's a fraction here and there, not large turns of the lock nut/cone nut.

Just had a jiggle with mine & much better Terry  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 01:06 PM »

what about your coaster brake?

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:19 PM »

what about your coaster brake?
That's still shite 😁😁

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Offline Redtom

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 06:55 PM »

Thanks for that will have another look at it.

Offline Redtom

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:56 PM »
Getting nowhere with this. When i tighten the play out and nip up the lock nuts it appears ok ,but when i use the coaster it tightens up and pedals backwards.  Help anyone?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Coaster brake play

gfxgfx
gfx gfx