gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  New school headsets and bottom brackets how to fit them!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New school headsets and bottom brackets how to fit them!  (Read 2613 times)

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
New school headsets and bottom brackets how to fit them!
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Just got this headset and bottom bracket and not sure how it all goes together!

The guy in the shop said I didn't need the silver part due to the type of forks

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: New school headsets and bottom brackets how to fit them!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Yep - silver bits a fork race - sounds like yours has it built in already fella.

Second from left pop on forks with bevelled side up and slide forks in frame, making sure they're seated ok.

Far right take out the silver nip-ring and slide the black bearing onto the top of the forks bevelled side down.

Put silver nip-ring onto forks and slide down - this'll be tight, make sure forks and bearings are seated properly.

Blue cap onto the forks and then onto working out if you need spacers etc before you pop your stem on.

For the BB bearings - offer up the bearings on the axle with spacer to the underside of your bottom bracket - you need to do this to work out what size spacer between the bearings you need. with spacer on the bearings should be flush with the outside of the bottom bracket or mm proud of the BB.

When you've got this, slap some copper grease on the outside of the bearings and in the bearing cups in the BB.

If you're using a bearing press then slap em in - if you're using a piece of wood and hammer, put the drive side bearing in first, being careful to only twat the outer metal ring of the bearing (not the plaggy black seal or inside metal ring).

Slide the axle and spacer in, then the non-drive side bearing (put the axle end bolts on to stop it sliding out when you do this) and twat the bearing in. Test to see if the bearings are parallel by turning the axle. If it feels 'gratey' then have a look and see if the bearings are aligned correctly and adjust if they're not until the axle moves freely.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:04 PM by Dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:20 PM »
snap  :LolLolLolLol:   

note    on some mid and some spannish bottom bracket  frames the bearings may sit back a little in the bb tube .

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:13 PM by oldtired »

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:22 PM »
That looks new jim :shocked:

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 04:24 PM »
For BB mid is the way to go unless you've purchased 3 Superstar frames & you have to buy shitty Spanish!!! ;)

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Yes I bought a Superstar! Got crank fitted and headset, I just need some spacers for the stem

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 07:50 PM »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:22 PM »
For BB mid is the way to go unless you've purchased 3 Superstar frames & you have to buy shitty Spanish!!! ;)

:LolLolLolLol:   :daumenhoch: 

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Nowt wrong with Spanish, I ran one on my proper for a few years with no problems at all  :daumenhoch:

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49 PM »

:LolLolLolLol:   :daumenhoch:

;D  :-*

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27 PM »

Does it look like I have the crank on ok? just used two covers same size, or do you use the washers on the sprocket side and the cover on the other? Cant get my 2.35 tyre on with pegs due to slight buckle in wheel and being such a tight fit so putting a 2.10 tyre on

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  New school headsets and bottom brackets how to fit them!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx