gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 03, 2024, 02:06 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  85 RL20II Restoration & Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 85 RL20II Restoration & Build  (Read 13522 times)

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
85 RL20II Restoration & Build
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Hi,

this is my restoration and build thread for one of my must have freestyle bikes, a 1985 RL20ii. Its more about the frame and choosing the right people to trust than the build. I love the Redline freestyler's,  I've already got a RL20 ( My RL20 is here.... http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,177131.0.html)

I bought the frame and forks on eBay earlier this year in turquoise. I'd bid and lost on this frameset before; the seller had relisted it as when the first buyer came to pick it up, he saw something else in his collection and wanted that more, so the seller kept the RL and re advertised it 4 months later. The listing ended late on a Friday afternoon, so I got it a lot cheaper than it went the first time.

When the frameset turned up I gotta say I was pretty disappointed with it. The turquoise was a shade darker than the images I had of them. There was half a seat tube stuck in the frame, rattling about at the bottom of the seat mast. The powder coat, advertised as being by C4 Labs, wasn't very smooth and looked really thick and drippy.

I decided after weighing it all up that I'd go for a colour change to Hazard Yellow which was my preferred colour choice. A couple of emails followed and I dropped the frame, handlebars and stem off to Superbike Dan for a recoat. Dan as everyone says was really helpful but called me after a few days later saying he was having problems with the powdercoat - it wouldn't come off despite several attempts with Dan's usual hi strength stripper. The bars had stripped off easily. Talking it through, we realised that the powdercoat wasn't the best of job's, as it has been coated several times to help take out some of the bumps left from when the frame had probably rusted or lost a chrome plating in several places and almost felt baked on. I agreed with Dan, the best thing would be to find an alloy wheel refurbishment company who have stronger chemicals to strip it.

Several phone arounds in the London / Essex area and I only found a single company in Rochford, Essex, who said they could do it for £25. Promising they could keep the chrome of the rear half I dropped it off and arranged to pick it up the next week......when I picked it up I was totally bummed out because they didn't dip it, they glass bead / sand / media blasted it and stripped everything back to basics.

They took all the powder off and most of the chrome and then sprayed it over with a coat of god knows what. So, after getting nowhere with their owner, I added AlloyArt in Rochford Essex to my 'don't ever use again' list and arranged to drop the frame off to London Chroming in SE London for a rechrome before powder coating. They had it 4 weeks and when I picked it up I was stoked with it - the best chrome and polish I've ever had done. I've had some flights and handlebars rechromed by a company recommended here on RAD but was never pleased with it, found the chrome plate flaking off after just two months. Can't recommend London Chroming highly enough - when you walk in their entrance it's the holding area for their work and they had everything, racing bike frame, motor bike bits, car bumpers and grilles, trophies and a huge airplane propeller.
London Chroming are top guys, check this video.... Not a valid vimeo URL
Once the chrome was on it was back to SBD for the Hazard Yellow. Picked it up after two weeks wait and nearly pissed my pants with how good it looked. SBD was as humble as ever, not taking a penny more for his hard work and advice. Top fella.

Had a set of decals posted over from AJK Bikes, applied them and decided to build up as the Redline adverts in Freestylin' from the '85 era.

Redline used to sell the RL20ii as a "Combo", consisting of "matching forklifter stem and handlebar, and the new Dia Compe FS brakes with matching cable housing and detail lettering". I managed to source some identical water based hobby enamel and detailed up a minty pair of FS880's and used some NOS Dia Compe Mustard Yellow brake cables to finish it off.

I've sourced all the parts now and am getting ready to build her up, just need to decide what wheels and tires to go with and whether to go yellow over black with the B1B's or stay grey over black. The yellow doesn't match the frame and seat colour and looks like its clashing, so I'll probably go grey. Wheels might be satin anodised Peregrine 48's with Suzue/Peregrines hubs or chromed versions with sealed Peregrine hubs/Super pro's. I also have a pair of white and a pair of black peregrine masters, but I think they look too heavy on the twin tubes Redlines.

The build is gonna be pretty easy, so I will post up more once I'm finished.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: 85 RL20II Restoration & Build
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:11 PM »
I love these, and this looks great, fantastic work. I'd go with some SuperPro's!
i'm weighing up who to get to chrome my super pro hubs and hoops, thinking London Chrome might be a contender.  Were they expensive?

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:15 PM »
That's two great stories I've read tonight about how you lads get your build to this stage, my god you go through shite and over come it and move on, the build is looking sweet and it was a pleasure helping you out :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline johnnylocks

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:20 PM »
dream bike bitd ......super build

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Dan...Whilst your'e here...Will a chromer be able to strip powder off a seat post, or am i best off getting it stripped by you? (sorry about thread hijack!)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Dan...Whilst your'e here...Will a chromer be able to strip powder off a seat post, or am i best off getting it stripped by you? (sorry about thread hijack!)

There's no reason why they can't strip the powder mate :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:00 AM »
A happy ending  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 01:22 AM »
Try and find the matching Masters if you can bro  :daumenhoch:

BANNED

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I love these, and this looks great, fantastic work. I'd go with some SuperPro's!
i'm weighing up who to get to chrome my super pro hubs and hoops, thinking London Chrome might be a contender.  Were they expensive?
I paid £300 for a full chrome to the frame and polish to the rear triangle as far as the seat mast and it also included a show chrome finish to a pair of Haro freestyle handlebars and Redline Forklifter race bars and a redline seat post. Not the cheapest but far better than anyone else I've used. 100% recommend them.
And BMX.

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 04:18 PM »
VERY NICE MATE love it  I have an og  one you have probably seen gotta love some hazard yellow in your life nice well done look forward to seeing it finished 
build what u want if u like it then thats all that matters

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 05:47 PM »
If you're planning on fitting a set of flights let me know........  ;)  I've never warmed to mine  :-[
You always need a cheese option......

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Here's the remaining parts of the build to add on over the next week

I'm still not sure on the wheels though - the chrome 48's might go to another project leaving the satin 48's for this. I mocked them up today and they look great against the chrome forks and the redline flights satin chainwheel. Tyres might be the Comp St's as these are what I rode bitd. The Panaracers are close behind though....

I'm waiting for some new black redline flight decals - the yellow decals currently on them look too yellow and don't match as well as the kashimax aero does.
And BMX.

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 07:44 PM »
VERY NICE MATE love it  I have an og  one you have probably seen gotta love some hazard yellow in your life nice well done look forward to seeing it finished

I've been watching yours, and think its great and you're right, HAZARD YELLOW should have a place in every collection!
And BMX.

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I have just had to change my seat post after riding mine I have had to go for a slight lay back in   it is a superb bike to ride so smooth with crank and wheels all being sealed I love this bike

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Hp 48 are so.smooth they are great to ride are you planning to put a rotor on yours

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Hp 48 are so.smooth they are great to ride are you planning to put a rotor on yours

I had planned a rotor, but decided against it. I bought a NOS ACS rotor in readiness, but as I wanted my RL to reflect the 85 Combo listing, and they didn't come as part of it. I'm also staying with a straight post as I always have the rule that the bar end miss the nose of the seat by an inch, just like BITD.
And BMX.

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 10:10 PM »
That is fookin sweet buddy, must of been a real pisser when you first got it but top marks for persevering through the bad parts & coming out the other end with an amazing looking build   :smitten:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 11:13 PM »
Looks amazing so far! especially after the grief you have had. That is not the first story I have heard about C4 labs work being far from satisfactory!
Can't wait to see this built! It's gonna be another stunner!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 10:30 AM »
that bike's so happy you found it :angel:

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 07:07 AM »
that bike's so happy you found it :angel:
fischflo, you're right, I feel the love from it everytime I pass by it!  :smitten:
And BMX.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 08:43 PM »

Pukka job, the chromers have done awesome work, and as always dans painters are the best, he just needs to stop taking credit for them.

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Such a nice bike to ride, nice and roomy. My survivor...

In a shed for 15 years, changed one inner tube , spray of wd40 and rode it on the lake ride, loved it :daumenhoch:

You've done a wicked job on that one , top stuff ;)

rodriguez

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Awesome resto so far   :coolsmiley:

AlloyArt in Rochford Essex    Thumbs down

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Wow! love that survivor  "wantit" nice array of parts on it aswell :daumenhoch:

Offline eddie kidd

• Rockwalk
  • 22 years 23 days 24 minutes
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33 AM »
Beautiful...

Love the Brakes... 8)
Wanted Green Oakley B2 Grips...Nos...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  85 RL20II Restoration & Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx