gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT blues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT blues  (Read 859 times)

duncan

GT blues
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:40 PM »
Did GT make bikes in different shades of blue?

I just got a GT frame off ebay, an 83 Pro painted in red primer.
I stripped the paint and revealed a blue coat underneath (plus white primer under that).

The blue looked to be a quality finish, not rattle can, though scratched up in areas, and was a light electric blue.
Looked just like the blue on a MK1 Burner, that's the best way to describe it.
I've gone on to strip the whole frame now, I never took a pic.

There are a few blue GTs on this site but they're a much darker shade.

Also, there appears to be small flecks of chrome plate on the frame, as if a chrome finish was removed at some point.
I've heard of manufacturers painting over chrome, but surely they wouldn't go to the trouble of removing it first?
I can't fathom why any owner would bother either, unless the chrome had badly rusted at some point in the past.

When it's time to paint I'd like to choose an authentic colour.

The frame has been well used, but no cracks or re-welds.
The dropouts have indentations but they're still full-length intact, this was a worry before it arrived. They look so delicate, surprised they did survive.
Small dent on the headtube, and a little squashing on the brake-bridge, but these might be sortable - been reading up on the 'wood & vice' trick.

Will make a good rider, there are some forks on the way though not GT which I gather are very difficult to find.
Going with MRD - the bike will be a good mixture of quality UK and USA (I do hope they fit, my fault if they don't  :-\ )

etriedes

Re: GT blues
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Why not go for Black like
this one http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=58.msg658#msg658

classic look and looks awesome  :daumenhoch:

dj_benice

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Or the smoked black chrome jobby they where as rare as hobby horse sh1t even bitd :o)  Think I got a US action bike with it in somewhere :o)

duncan

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:59 PM »
A black frame would be good, I tend to prefer black or silver components.
Plus would contrast nicely with my white bike (when I get round to getting it painted too :) )

Black chrome sounds great, but maybe would be more expense than this frame merits?, I'll post some pics soon and ask for views.
It's not show material, though perhaps a chrome plate would cover minor blemishes?
Please do post a scan if you find it. Thanks.

gmac

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 10:20 PM »

duncan

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 10:42 PM »
That's very nice. The yellow parts suit it well.

That's the original GT blue shade? Definitely darker than the paint was on this frame, I think mine must have been resprayed by a previous owner.

I haven't been able to find any pics of Red GT's, none at all. Would be good to see what one looked like. I've seen black, white, blue, chrome.

duncan

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 12:39 AM »
I took some pics of the frame, please click for bigger:

[img width= height=]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/redxxvi/bmx/gtprot.jpg[/img]

The top right picture shows a slight squashing of the brake bridge. I'm hoping I can use the same method for fixing this as others have used for crushed handlebars.
By drilling a hole in a block of wood the same diameter as the tube, then cutting the block exactly in two, the 2 pieces can be put either side of the squashed tube and tightened in a vice.
The theory is that the tube will be pushed back to shape, filling the wooden 'mould'. Should I try it, or just bin the frame now, lol  ;D

Bottom left pic shows one of the dropouts, I'm not sure if the slot is meant to be a bit wider at the end, it's probably due to wear.
Bottom middle pic shows the headtube, and the curious chrome spots that are on the frame. One big spot covers the small dent in the headtube. This is accessible from behind so may be repairable.
The bottom right pic gives a better view of the chrome plate on the frame. Chrome plating removed, or splashes that got on the tubes in the factory and they used them anyway?, I've no idea.

dj_benice

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 12:48 AM »
this is the one I picked up today :)

can't find article on that black chrome but there is an advert for one(no picture) in a scan of us action bike I have, can e:mail if you like is about 80mb so bit big to stick up here ;D

duncan

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 01:06 AM »
Looks good, you got lots of spares too - I was reading your thread. Chrome's a great finish, the hardest wearing too.
I have to get my other bike painted, so I'll probably put this one in at the same time, I'm not sure it'd be worth me chroming the frame above, I'll have to check on costs.
A £200 showchrome job would be ridiculous given its defects, 50 quid and maybe..

Thanks for the offer of the pic but it's too big even for email, you could just get it up on screen then hit 'Print Screen' and paste it into MS Paint if you don't have a graphics program.
That should take it down to a more manageable few hundred kb.

dj_benice

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 08:10 AM »
hehe yup I could try but it's one of them silly PDF jobs (I don't have a PDF editor too cheap to buy adobe just use free d/l ;D )  So the pages overlap etc  Ha genius gimme five will ramp up the resolution on here see if i can't get on one screen then dump :o)

dj_benice

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 08:58 AM »
!!!!!!!  think I'm losin the plot, can't find it for love nor money !!!!!!!  will keep on lookin n stick it up when I do, only saw it bout three days ago doh.

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Do a search but restrict the file type to PDF am sure you wont have that many on your machine!!! or open adobe reader hit file and it will show the last few files your opened :daumenhoch:

dj_benice

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 09:28 AM »
cheers for the top tip, unfortunately I work in IT so have bout 5 puters n two laptops all runnin through the same hub, dependin on where I was at the time could be on any oh well will check em all as and when I use them :o)

dj_benice

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 10:02 AM »
OK satisfied myself that I am not going mad at least, bmx action bike no 19 june 1984 last page inside back cover article with andy welsh "my Dad said 'If you win the Scottish championship, son, I'll buy you a black chrome GT'"  Lol just finished readin the article n it mentions me dad at the bottom  :-[

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT blues

gfxgfx
gfx gfx