gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 02:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid skool identification help needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mid skool identification help needed  (Read 1434 times)

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Mid skool identification help needed
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I've just picked up this mongoose. I'm after help identifying exactly what it is. The person I got it off says he thinks it's a 1999 menace 25th anniversary. The frame is stickers and badged mongoose, the stem has a 25th anniversary sticker on it. It's got mongoose pedals, seat, chainring etc. But when I have googled 25th anniversary Menace the frame looks different, particularly at the drop outs. Ive been on bmx museum too and haven't so far found one the same.

Can anyone shed any light on what it actually is and what year?

Frame number is AOD5D00521

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
Re: Mid skool identification help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Its definitely not an anniversary Menace, as you said they were very different and all the 99 bikes had a specific dropout shape. It looks to me to be a very low end bike, possibly something made for a chain store like Halfords or something like that. It definitely doesn't have any of the typical Mongoose design features that you would expect on a Mongoose of any era.
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:45 PM »
I reckon it's a mongoose motivator, I say this because all the 'better' goose frames that were aimed at race that they made had a single tube that came from the seat tube back to the seat stays, this one has two seat stays coming from the seat tube, and it's not a looptail, the race frames continued to use loops up until 96/7.  when I was researching my early nineties expert I saw this little anomoly. Check them out on museum, early 90s motivator, I don't know much about them, but from what I've remember they weren't dressed in nice parts, but as long as it's got a 20" tt it'll make a nice little rider, dress it up with some 80s decals and it'll look great, that's what I did with my expert

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Cheers guys, that's the first thing I noticed, that the menace had a loop tail, I picked this up local for £25, purely to play with on the track. If it gets dropped, crashed, damaged etc, I don't care, so it's ideal for what I want. Good idea with the decals Jaymz. Then wheels are a real mess but I have some decent spoked ones spare, so all it needs is some tyres, a chain and the brakes set up and it'll be ready to go.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Rear drops look very similar to Powerlite/Dyno GSX/Dyno VFR's - it there owt stamped on em?

Bars are deffo generic cacka that you could get from Halfrauds back in the 90's/2000's.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Jaymz, your motivator guess was pretty close, but after looking at the rear of the bike, it's slightly different

The first pic is a motivator, the second is my bike, on the second pic, the 2 tubes go much further into the plate.

One thing I have picked up on, is that most mongoose of this era have mongoose on the frame with the model name also on the frame and mongoose on the forks. Mine has mongoose twice on the frame, so that's a sure fire clue that something is not correct with the frame.

Danny I'll check the drop outs tomorrow.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Looking at them wheels n'all fella - I reckon that's a VFR from the early/mid 90's. Could be talking oot me arse tho  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:08 PM »
Danny have you got any more info on the vfr so I can do a little research. I'm not even that bothered if it's a good bike or not, it's just a cheap track bike, but I always like to find out exactly what something is.

Ignore that, easy enough to google it, it does look very close to a 1989 dyno vfr.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:12 PM by stevepeanut »

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 11:47 PM »
I gave one over to the raffle at MK this year - think it was a '93 . The wheels were chromed steel side with black powder centres. Looking at the shot of your front brake n'all - the VFR's came with weird sprung brakes (semi-mounted) - they were pretty decent for non-AD brakes tbh - better than Dia Compe Big Dogs  :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 02:33 PM »
one of these?

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:41 PM »
I had a re-look ovres les weekend - they look more like Powerlite drops.......

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:43 PM »
I looked on the museum and it looks the same as a dyno vfr as far as I can tell.

I'll check out the powerlite too.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid skool identification help needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx