gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing the axle from sealed bearing hub
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing the axle from sealed bearing hub  (Read 697 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Removing the axle from sealed bearing hub
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I'm sure I'm just being thick here but I have a 14mm axle that needs replacing in a sealed bearing hub.  I have taken the cones off and was expecting the axle to just slide out.  It doesn't.  How the hell do I get that sucker out?

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Removing the axle from sealed bearing hub
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:40 PM »
soft hammer and a wack will do it, this image should help you see how it works

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Exactly as Monsigneur Diggler's said. Whack it one side to get one bearing out, then pop the axle back in and bray the other bearing out.

When you put new ones back in, don't twat em in using the axle - it'll fook the bearings up - just get a socket from a socket set that's big enough to only touch the outside metal bearing cage and smack em in using that.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Ohhh yeah, I was trying the hit them method but I was being all nancy about it.  Now onto my next problem.  It seems that the none sealed bearing axle is different to the sealed bearing axle because it doesn't have the little lip for the sealed bearings to sit against..  I take it that is just how it is??

My issue is that the axles in the hubs I bought are slotted so that they can fit into 10mm drop outs.  This is great with the front wheel as the forks drop outs are 10mm.  The rear drop outs however are 14mm.  At the moment I've just tighted the nuts on so that the 14mm widith of the axle fills the drop out.  I'm not convinced that following a heavy landing it won't turn it slightly though.  What do you think? 

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 12:32 AM »
Totally fine with the slotted axles - ran Peregrine Phat Jacks with the same axle using the 14mm width of the slotted axles for years, and I'm not exactly a smooth rider  :daumenhoch:

Just make sure they're done up tight.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 12:50 AM »
Good enough for me  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

All I need to do now is buy the right size Hex key to fit my crank (lost the one I have somewhere) so I can change the front Sprocket and I've finished my first mid school rider.  I put it together previous and the rear brake squeeeeeled like a bansheeeee.  Other than de-greasing the rims prior to re-lacing with the new hubs I haven't undone the brakes at all.  Amazingly they're sharp as fooook and silent now.  Could that really have been down to shit covered rims?

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Ohhh For FFFFFFSSS

I've just swapped the front sprocket over.  Added a bit of length to my chain to accomodate and my brakes now squeel again.  Any ideas on how to get rid of that bloody noise?  The pads are the Odyssey ones that are shaped so they're already toed in so it's not that.  Suuuuuuuuuuuucks

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing the axle from sealed bearing hub

gfxgfx
gfx gfx