gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:10 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Swapping axle sizes - why is nothing ever easy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Swapping axle sizes - why is nothing ever easy  (Read 982 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Swapping axle sizes - why is nothing ever easy
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:25 PM »
I have a set of wheels with 14mm axles.  This is fine for the rear drop outs on the frame but the forks are 10mm.  I've looked at just swapping the axle for a 10mm axle but the cones are too small.  I can't tell if this is what I need as the description is lacking http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HALO-SPARE-10-14MM-AXLE-CONVERTER-ATC-28542-/360779291543?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item54001f1b97.

I'm not too keen on the idea of grinding the drop outs to fit.  What options do I have??

griff

Re: Swapping axle sizes - why is nothing ever easy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:10 PM »
File a couple of flats on each axle?

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12 PM »
What about different sized cone's....maybe or maybe am just talking rubbish as usual :D :daumenhoch:
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Yeah, after looking around a lot it seems that filing the axles is going to be the way to go. 

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Yep - thread a thin nut on, get a grinder and shave 2mm off opposing sides on the axle. Unthread thin nut to clean threads and jobs a good'n.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:43 PM »
I just got my rotary tool out.  Selected what I thought would be the right dooberry to do the job.  offered the axle up to the forks only to realise that the forks in question (GT Pacman) would requite me to pretty much flatten the whole axle  :'(  I'm not sure I've got the necessary balls to do that.  What do you guys think??  Go for it or get someone that knows what they're doing to go for it?  Or not bother??

Why would they make a bike with two different sized drop outs????  Tossers.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Most NS bikes are 3/8" up front/14mm rear (reason being = save weight on the front, no bent axles on the rear). Grind the bugger - it's a piece of p1ss - remove the axle from the hub though first  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 02:31 PM »
  get a front wheel with a female axle hub,   :daumenhoch:   Skidmarks got a nice Oddy one up for grabs in the for sale section  :daumenhoch: other than that its a 3/8 hub , or grind down the axle  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:42 PM by oldtired »

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Right then, the axles have been ground down and they fit into the drop outs now.  To get the wheel in with the cone and the locking nutI have to put the forks apart slightly.  As a result when I tighten the bolt on the outside the wheel no longer spins freely like it did before I put it into the forks.  Is this something I should address??  Do I need to back the cones off a little?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Swapping axle sizes - why is nothing ever easy

gfxgfx
gfx gfx