gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 12:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School dates debate Vote off
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mid School dates debate Vote off  (Read 11122 times)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Mid School dates debate Vote off
« on: February 27, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Mid School date debate Vote off

What's the best dating method to represent the era of Mid School?

- (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05) - set dates with 2 years flexibility either side to accommodate exceptions.

- Decades 80s 90s 00s 10s - not limited to a 'school' or era, simply put a bike in the year it is from.

Vote is running for 7 days  :daumenhoch:

* UPDATE * as the debate is still ongoing we have added the option to CHANGE your vote if you wish to  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:34 PM by ED209 »
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
Re: Mid School dates debate Vote off
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I don't understand this 2 years either way.
2 year of flexibility to accommodate exceptions what a fookin load of bollocks

It's either mid school or not NO exceptions

Ride it like its stolen

Offline senzo milano

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:26 PM »
I still think and vote for midschool is from 1990 till 2000  :-[

but IMO  :)
Big bobbles ,no troubles

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I still think and vote for midschool is from 1990 till 2000  :-[

but IMO  :)
gets my vote,

rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54 PM »
So if decades wins is the WHOLE site going to be reorganised?

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56 PM »

Yes, why not?  It will take work and time to do but it is your site (members) and if that is what needs to happen we should accomodate it.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:00 PM »

I get where you're coming from G, but re-reading and taking in some of the input in the debate thread it makes sense (and the thread changed my opinion by the end of it). You can't lump a Mad Dog or mid style Revcore in the same section as say for instance a stock FST or Streetbeat (not that I'm saying they're stock bikes because we all build em different :) ) from the same years.

We put a name to eras in essence to define a way of thinking/tech (if that doesn't sound too up it's own 'arris) that cropped up for that era of BMX. The way we list stuff has to have a 'numeric/periodic value' if you like in order to list it, and in order to preserve that (and the eras) in my changed opinion the above poll covers all bases.

I think the above gives everyone a good scale that preserves Vintage/Old/Mid/New and the community in the separate sections on the site that has run well for years. Adding to that it gives the option for the sections to be divided into decades.

Whatever is decided in the poll, I reckon the RAD result will be seen as a way to define stuff for BMX forums/S&S etc for a while to come  :4_17_5:

Fook me that was waffley - and I'm stone cold sober this time round  :LolLolLolLol:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02 PM »
 ;D   I still like your bronze age theory best

Rod nailed it 100% when he said the 1989-2003 just has more soul than the decade thing.   decade   .....bluäch!

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02 PM »

I get where you're coming from G, but re-reading and taking in some of the input in the debate thread it makes sense (and the thread changed my opinion by the end of it). You can't lump a Mad Dog or mid style Revcore in the same section as say for instance a stock FST or Streetbeat (not that I'm saying they're stock bikes because we all build em different :) ) from the same years.

We put a name to eras in essence to define a way of thinking/tech (if that doesn't sound too up it's own 'arris) that cropped up for that era of BMX. The way we list stuff has to have a 'numeric/periodic value' if you like in order to list it, and in order to preserve that (and the eras) in my changed opinion the above poll covers all bases.

I think the above gives everyone a good scale that preserves Vintage/Old/Mid/New and the community in the separate sections on the site that has run well for years. Adding to that it gives the option for the sections to be divided into decades.

Whatever is decided in the poll, I reckon the RAD result will be seen as a way to define stuff for BMX forums/S&S etc for a while to come  :4_17_5:

Fook me that was waffley - and I'm stone cold sober this time round  :LolLolLolLol:

I read all that is written in red until I realised Danny was off of a waffle and I switched off.

It really isn't going to beat the old 'bronze age' bollox Dan  :LolLolLolLol:

rodriguez

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:06 PM »

Yes, why not?  It will take work and time to do but it is your site (members) and if that is what needs to happen we should accomodate it.

Fair enough.

Should this thread not be in BMX chat section then as it's to do with the whole site.

I think it needs to be made clear to the members that after the vote if decades wins there is no more vintage, old school, mid school and new school because I don't think a lot of members really understand that and the implications to the whole site.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 09:09 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Just to add to the above - these two frames are both from '88 - one is deffo Old School, and the other is deffo Mid School (sorry for the pic stealing Rob  :daumenhoch: ):

1988 Streetbeat:

1988 Mad Dog:

Sorry if I'm conveluting the poll - delete if it's getting in the way  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 09:09 PM »

Dan I have a 03 S&M Neal wood but would class that as new school not mid school

Also how could you say an 87 CW to be classed as mid school   ???
Ride it like its stolen

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10 PM »
..........and it's got reason        ---> Main Arguments PRO 1989-2003
->http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,171788.msg1726819.html#msg1726819
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
reasons for:

1989  start date:       given By Stu (Discostu):
"This was then the era that S&M amongst others started to come to the fore, if you look back at videos of the late 80's/early 90's you don't really see anyone riding an S&M but plenty of haro's and gt's are about. Yes the S&M was probably a better and stronger bike back in 88 but it hadn't gained any popularity at that time.  :daumenhoch:"

2003 finish date:      given by Rod (rodruigez)
"04ish="US BB phased out, freewheels phased out in favour of cassette and introdution of micro gearing, 48h to 36h, movement towards light and strong as opposed to heavy and strong."

2003 finish date:      given by Danny (Dannywhac)
"It's when you start seeing true micro gearing, the dropping of US BB's and a new 'make it light and strong' approach kicking in that for me defines the start of new. Although as any kid at a park and they don;t give a fook about owt earlier than last year  :LolLolLolLol:"

2003 finish date:      given by Philbert:
"This for me ran up until about 03. Then new school made a real headway with companies jumping on the standard bandwagon and using lighter tubing from strengthened metals, smaller chainrings, euro, Spanish, and mid bbs were becomingly widely available."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:13 PM by fischflo »

rodriguez

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 09:11 PM »

Did you not read the points made in the thread about how these things would be handled?

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17 PM »

Did you not read the points made in the thread about how these things would be handled?

Did you not read read where it says 2 years flexibility either way

Vintage, old school & new school don't have it so why should mid school be any different
Ride it like its stolen

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22 PM »
.... those would only be OBVIOUS exceptions that we're talking about ..........same reasoning could apply to the other sections, i guess.

So basically this vote is about 1989-2003.

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Voted  :daumenhoch:

rodriguez

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 09:25 PM »

Vintage, old school & new school don't have it so why should mid school be any different

That point was made and addressed in the thread, why didn't you contribute to the thread?

The short answer is there were bikes built in the same year that fit into different schools as Danny has shown above.

Do you understand the option decades above means no more vintage, old school, mid school or new school the site will be totally reorganised and those terms won't be used again?

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 09:26 PM »
....and your '87 CW would have course NOT be put into mid :daumenhoch: ::)

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31 PM »

That point was made and addressed in the thread, why didn't you contribute to the thread?

The short answer is there were bikes built in the same year that fit into different schools as Danny has shown above.

Do you understand the option decades above means no more vintage, old school, mid school or new school the site will be totally reorganised and those terms won't be used again?

Hey rodders if you go to page 1 and mine is the 3rd comment.

Also I understand the options that's why I've voted for decades
Ride it like its stolen

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 09:36 PM »
:LolLolLolLol:

Just to add to the above - these two frames are both from '88 - one is deffo Old School, and the other is deffo Mid School (sorry for the pic stealing Rob  :daumenhoch: ):

1988 Streetbeat:

1988 Mad Dog:

Sorry if I'm conveluting the poll - delete if it's getting in the way  :LolLolLolLol:

that streetbeat is well on the cusp tho

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45 PM »
I have always fooking hated the "school" bit, especially new school, that's just shit.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 09:49 PM »

that streetbeat is well on the cusp tho

Yep - totally agree, but after the debate thread I concede that what the Street Beat has and what the Mad Dog has puts em both into two different schools.

Think what in a waffley way I'm trying to say is I've been swayed to keeping the Schools the way we all have made a community around them, I think now if we go decades we'd lose the essence and the banter we've made around em  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57 PM »

Just voted and very interesting to see results.  :)

I always say 80s 90s 2000s. But when you look at certain make bikes in the late 80s you would call them mid school.  :-\

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:00 PM »

WHy not?

70's - vintage
80's - old school
90's - mid school
2000's - new school
2010+ - current

its really not that big a deal.
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School dates debate Vote off

gfxgfx
gfx gfx