gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:01 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Paint Question?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Paint Question?  (Read 927 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Paint Question?
« on: February 08, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Hey Guys

I am trying to remove paint/powder coat or whatever it is,i have tried caustic soda,oven pride,industrial stirpper for powder coat,but nothing is removing this type of stuff...it seems to be very plasticy etc i got a few headstems like this,anyone have any idea's what type of stuff this could be,and how it could be removed,i dont want to take it to anyone to get blasted etc,enjoy doing all the stufff myself.

regards
graham
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Paint Question?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Hi

Caustic and ovenpride will only remove anodising, not any kind of paint finish.

Starchem Synstrip  (google it) is regarded as the best paint remover on here, anything from B and Q is pants.

Depending on your paint, it can take anywhere between minutes and days though! it does lose its strength once you have applied it, so keep adding fresh.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:53 PM »
the stuff i bought yesterday was from guys who do industrial strippers,its used on airport runways to remove the powder coat...where would you get the starchem at?

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 06:34 PM »
 Powder coat will :2funny: at paint stripper, even if you try to sandblast it just bounces off, the best way i found was to use a blow lamp and wire brush but don't get the metal too hot just enough to remove the powder each time you run a wire brush over it.
Just warm up a small area and wire brush it then keep doing that, don't warm up large areas  , hope you haven't got gussets like a mongoose frame below, it can be a nightmare removing powder coat from these areas :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:30 PM by snoppy72 »

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 06:39 PM »
the stuff i bought yesterday was from guys who do industrial strippers,its used on airport runways to remove the powder coat...where would you get the starchem at?

I got mine from an online motor factors, about £25 a gallon I think.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:07 PM »
PMSL @ snoopy You ever remove paint from gussets like that "wantit" :LolLolLolLol: :nuts:

munny,i will have to see if i can find someone onlie that maybe does it

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Were and who does starchem,this stripper am using is doing my head in ive had stuff in the stripper since yesterday and its not lifting it at all,and i have been adding fresh stuff to it as-well,but its just not happening.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Paint Question?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx