gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  87' Mongoose decade build (put together for a look see)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 87' Mongoose decade build (put together for a look see)  (Read 8885 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: 87' Mongoose decade build
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 05:41 PM »
lol what an  :Aresehole: i am never wasnt paying any attention to the date etc god i am an :nickswan:  :2funny:
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Right, whilst I'm waiting for my mate to sort out some powder coating for me I've started another little side project too.  I picked up a 1998 GT Performer for cheap but it was in pretty poor, rusty condition.  I've stripped it down and put the majority through a citric acid bath and I'm well chuffed with the results so far.  Thought I'd share.......

All the decals have come off the chain ring though.  I'm trying to decide what to do with it.  I'm thinking have it powder coated and then I was going to attempt to make my own winged GT decal for it using my robo cutter on some sticky back plastic.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Still waiting to get my parts powder coated.  Animal (Steve) from here is currently taking out the dings in my rear Pro Class wheel.  Fingers crossed he can get them nice and straight again.

In the meantime I went over to my mums to help her with some gardening today and when I was in the shed (which is floor to ceiling with junk and gardening tools).  I noticed a set of shiney chrome forks at the very back and bottom of the pile.  After 30 minutes of wrestling around and emptying half the shed I managed to get these out......

Tange Forks

SR Spintech stem

Unknown Two Piece Bars with Tech 77 lever

Can't believe I had a spin tech stem all this time and had no idea.  The way bike parts were just swapped about when I was a kid was ridiculous.  I have no idea where I would have got it from.  I was hoping I was going to find some old frames in there too but unfortunately not.  I've recognized some of the frames I used to have from on here although I'd never know what they were. 

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 07:04 PM »
That has come up lovely.  :) Like the rusty spanner you sneaked in there too.  ;D

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Ive got a set of gt forks in minty chrome that would suit that a treat.

I want to touch ORB

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 02:12 AM »
Haha well after I took the bike apart I looked at the spanner and thought "what the hell".  That was my first attempt.  Those forks do look nice but I've actually dropped the original ones off to be re-crhomed.  BY the end of the build I will have spent a little more than the bike will be worth but I've enjoyed the process so I don't mind.  I'll be riding it to work and hopefully it may appreciate in the years to come.  I'll be selling my GT Dyno soon too if anyone is intersted in a cheap, complete bargain?

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Looping fortwarf to these ... :) Cookinseln fookin iPad

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 11:45 AM »
All looks good so far Ed  :daumenhoch: am still waiting on my bloody citric was to be here on wednesday/thursday but the OA bath worked a treat the other night F&F and other bits&bobs came out a treat,did you get the decal for the stem yet? look retrospect think i seen it on there  :daumenhoch: ....got my decade decals from del this morning there,excellent quality again from him,now just need to get it off to get powdered  ::)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Well that stem is surplus to requirements now so I think I'll just put it out there and see if it's of any use to anyone.  Obviously it's missing all the moving parts which might be tricky to come across though.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 12:07 AM »
You got the latest update pics of this build Ed,i started mine tonight there,will stick a pic of it up tomorrow for all ive done to it,was finishing of my group1 haro  :daumenhoch:

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 09:26 PM »
It's going together in the next week mate.  Still not got the bits repainted that I wanted but I'm feeling the need to stick it together and have a look anyway (and a ride  :daumenhoch:).

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Right then, the Decade has been sitting around not getting anywhere for a while now so I decided after seeing how awesome the Hereford ride out looked I should at least throw together what I've got to have a look and inspire me.....I think it looks pretty damn sweet (Sorry about the crap camera quality though).

Things that are still missing include brake pads & chain.  I was going to spray the tioga spider white but I think I actually quite like it all chrome??

Issues that I have now are firstly the rear brake.  I've assembled the brake through the spin tech but I think the 2-1 one part is for use with an 990 centre pull style caliper and I've sort of bodged it together.  I have no idea whether it work yet as i've not got any pads on it.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

Secondly and probably most worrying of all.  I think the forks are slightly twisted.  I've taken a picture here to try and show it.  Is this something that I can fix and how would I go about doing it?

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: 87' Mongoose decade build (put together for a look see)
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Excellent job matey,were you not going to get it powder coated?

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Excellent job matey,were you not going to get it powder coated?

I was going to get the levers, spider and calipers coated white.  I still might but I'm not sure.  I want to go and ride it :D

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Cool chrome  :coolsmiley:

griff

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Just spotted this thread, looking great so far!

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Just finished putting it all together.  I've only got to set the rear brake up (waiting for an extra pair of hands to arrive) and then it's ready to go.  Looking awesome.  Will get some pictures up tomorrow if it stops bloody raining.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Is that a set of pro-class i spotted on it :D thought you were after different wheels/rims for it,looks really tidy great job mate :daumenhoch:

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 06:15 PM »
It is mate.  If I was to go proper spec then it would have been series VI Pro Class 48 spoke.  Chances of finding some are slim so I went with these.  Got them at a good price and had the dings taken out of them.  They need polishing up but that is a job for another day.  I just want to play on it now.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 06:22 PM »
looks fooking ace mate good job ;) am just going out to do a wee bit in the man cave was resting up fooked the old back up on bmx course went for 360 mid air sorted of landed wrong lol cuts and bruises everywere,have to remind myself am not a young guy anymore lol

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Fair play to you.  I'm a track virgin but intend to change that soon.  I messed my back up yesterday foam rolling it of all things.  On some strong pain killers now and told no training for a month.  Not sure that's going to happen.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I was gonna wait until my Decade dust caps turned up and it was sunny to take some decent photo's but I got too excited.  Here it is at last  :D  Brakes working  and everything!!!!

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 04:58 PM »
I just took it for it's maiden trip around the park.  I was amazed at how smooth it was to ride.   :)  Now I just need some other old bastards, a sunny afternoon and a run of pubs to really test it out.

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Looking good  :daumenhoch:

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Cheers dude.  Couldn't have done it without your skills  :laugh:

Still gotta try trying those wheels.  I've been reading and watching guides in preperation.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  87' Mongoose decade build (put together for a look see)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx