gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 06:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  So i'm thinking of producing a few parts....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: So i'm thinking of producing a few parts....  (Read 1628 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
So i'm thinking of producing a few parts....
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:17 PM »
.... seatclamps, dropout savers, 990 bolt on mounts, maybe stems, rear platforms and levers but is there much call for this sort of stuff.  :-\
Its very early ideas at the mo and it would only ever be small runs of things and probably just polished/brush ali.

Do people generally stick to period stuff or is the odd interloper acceptable and is it worth having different sizes (clamps etc) to incorporate mid and new school stuff especially given the amount of new school stuff currently available?  :-\

What are your thought guys?  :)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: So i'm thinking of producing a few parts....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Hey buddy, this is just my view and two pennance worth.

I like the way my Hutch turned out and loved doing it but, when I do build old school bikes, I do move away a little from complete era-correctness, mainly cranks as I ride my bikes, but for the most part, I try to keep it in the 80's for parts. I think most of the Mid-school guys will think along the same lines especially as the price for Mid-school parts has not escalated like oOld-school has at the moment so they will in turn be sticking to era-correctness.

So, I would think that your ideas would be aimed at the New-school generation thus needing to produce some New-school items.

The other thing you would need to look into about producing such items is copyright, which i am sure you are already aware of.

I will be after a couple of parts myself from you that we have previously discussed though mate and good luck with any venture you choose to undertake  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:33 PM »
I can imagine there is a market for ... lets say like f.ex like old Tange clamps ...as long as it's legal and not all too difficult to produce, i guess it could work. However i could imagine that is is hard to get f.ex levers produced elaborately enough to make it economically viable...? But ..who knows, i mean they would have to be cheaper or 'nicer' than repop dc ones, don't know if this would work if you plan to limit the scale of production to very limited anyway.

But i'm all for it - i need some levers, hurry up  ;D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Cheers Terry, perfect response. As i say i'm just looking into it at the mo and i may end up just doing the odd bit for those interested rather than go the whole website and full on business approach. My experience of alot of aftermarket products is they are usually badly designed and i think there may be a gap, even if it is a small one. 

The Pauls stuff if a good example of what is possible with a little thought  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:37 PM by oldschoolace »
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:40 PM »
It's mostly been done before I don't think there'd be that much demand tbh.

http://www.helixbmx.net/stems2.htm

Now defunct.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:43 PM »
As Terry said - the only hindrance may be the era-correct builds, as I think part of the joy of doing these is trying to source the correct parts.

I think though Clint it's an ace idea  :4_17_5: If you can cater it to a more (and I hate the word) bespoke feel for the larger items (stems etc) and produce dropout savers or 3/8 to 14mm converters etc en-mass then I reckon they'll sell better. Also as Terry said, I'd shy away a bit from the mid-school sizes as there's not as big a following and the parts (although some exchange hands for lots of cash) are generally cheaper than OS stuff (even though in some cases they're much rarer than some OS stuff).

As for new school stuff - there's deffo a market for it, the only problem is it's saturated at the mo. If you can market what you do in the same way that some home-brew UK stuff does then you'll still do well out of it - good examples of this are:

Baskett pegs:

http://rideukbmx.mpora.com/news/baskett-pegs-2.html

Or Fatality BMX:

http://www.fatalitybmx.eu/

Come out with a stem with integrated gyro mounts that weighs less than a bog standard S&M say for instance, make them in a real small number so it's not costing you a great deal etc (this is just an example, as I know there's stems out there). Or funky looking cable hangers etc.

Just my 2p's worth though Clint, and I do think it's a good idea  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Use your skills and produce some Rad NS stuff.  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Cheers Dan, you hit the nail on the head.
I'm not looking to repop stuff, I'm thinking of new designs that may or may not have an old school flavour. The "bespoke" route is my thinking, limited numbers of stuff to keep it interesting and match probable demand. Just something a little different for those who like a nice part here and there  :daumenhoch:

What got me thinking was the article in the Albion about George French and him making Gsport stuff on a lathe in his garage  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:53 PM by oldschoolace »

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:55 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

Dare I say it, but another thing is if you want to break into the new-school market, make stuff for scooters  :LolLolLolLol: It's selling scooter bits and bobs that keeping a lot of our LBS's going at the moment  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00 PM »
What got me thinking was the article in the Albion about George French and him making Gsport stuff on a lathe in his garage  :)

Yeah - George got in on the action I reckon at just the right time. Stuff that innovated during a period of bmx that on one side had piss weak bikes from what was left of the mega companies of the 80's when freestyle was changing and needed something more burly, and the other side where peoples wallets were just starting to open up after a recession.

He took ideas from listening (and seeing) what people were wanting or homebrew rode with and made the bits and bobs to do it. And he's a genuinely nice bloke to boot  :daumenhoch:

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Possibly making low numbers of 'throw back' items in new school shapes 'n' sizes for all the repop bikes (Skyway, Hutch, CW, Haro, SE... ect) that have been released over the last few years, to give them that OS look with the NS feel.

I wouldn't think many would put newly made items on their OS exotica  :-\

I'd love to be knocking up bit'n'bobs for bikes but don't have the time or machinary  :'(

Good luck.
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49 PM »
i guess your problem is it's already been done with the likes of Ruff Neck, ESP stems and stuff.  also NS stuff will get hammered compared to OS cruising bikes so the bits will need to stand up to proper riding.

i'd stear clear of any old school replicas but each to their own

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 01:53 PM »
No replicas Rob, just good old british engineering   :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 02:02 PM »
look at some cool old parts and do NS versions, stems, clamps?   ???

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 02:09 PM »
I picked up this bespoke Stem Stiffener as it is different from the norm and I really really like it mate :coolsmiley:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=530821

The 2 things that drew me to it were the quality of the piece and the size options. The price was a fair one too considering the work involved, cost of materials and cost of manufacture (machinery use etc..)

BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Exactly my thinking Terry, just well made parts that add a little extra to a build  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32 PM »
I would be up for some brake pad fins and bespoke dropout savers as previously discussed mate  :daumenhoch:

I would also like a couple of sets of alloy bespoke bar ends too  :)
BANNED

Offline OllyHall

• Flip-Whip
  • Dannywhac is a fooking hippy!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Head tube spacers are always a winner! Do some ns stuff aswell! The plan boring stuff is pants! Proper do a new bb and headset with some cool machining on the covers which looks top :daumenhoch:
Mid school baby!!

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 02:53 PM »
I'd love some dropout savers. A member on here made some a couple of years ago. They were nice, clean and simple. Did exactly what they were meant to do.

griff

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 03:07 PM »
I'd love some dropout savers. A member on here made some a couple of years ago. They were nice, clean and simple. Did exactly what they were meant to do.

yep - cuckoo from malaysia
I had some on my haro and they were ace, in fact they were so nice I thought someone should start making dropout saver savers to protect them

se/haro stepped fork washers, dropout savers definitely a good idea if you can make them cheap

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 05:47 PM »
I think you could make it work in limited runs,say 25 or something.
Porkchop does those chopsaw chain rings which are old school inspired and seems to sell a few....

Offline Deano

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 07:12 PM »
i like your thinking tbf mate.

What about dropout savers and chain tugs as one, nice fork pegs and i liked bretts idea on bar ends.

Had a few machined parts on my builds before  :daumenhoch: ronnie brain made me a twin lever pull for my brakedancer and a quality bb press :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :4_17_5:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 07:49 PM »
It's a great idea clint, I love a bit of home made, I had a small accident with a tioga headlock, 12 hours before a ride out, , and some old fashioned Sheffield engineering sorted me out in two hours

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 07:57 PM »
i'd be interested in a few sets of 3/8 to 14mm converters.
always handy.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 08:01 PM »
I'd love some drop out savers and stepped washers for most of my builds  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  So i'm thinking of producing a few parts....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx