gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2002 haro shredder lhs bottom bracket needed.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2002 haro shredder lhs bottom bracket needed.  (Read 2101 times)

Offline cozi70

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
2002 haro shredder lhs bottom bracket needed.
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Hello folks.
I've got a 2002 haro shredder lhs crank bike.

Problem is I need a new bottom bracket as one off the inner bearing threaded parts is damaged.
It's a three piece crank,centre bit being 150mm long and its got very similar BB to the one piece type apart from the 2 inner bearing threaded parts are threaded the wrong way,meaning the Lh thread is where the RH thread should be and vice versa.
Here's some specs

Any help would be greatly appreciated as most off my local bike shops are not interested in helping out with bmx's.

Offline cozi70

• Rated:
Re: 2002 haro shredder lhs bottom bracket needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Anyone?

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Looks like a standard american bottom bracket set up. If your axle is ok what fits to the cranks, then pop into a bike shop with the axle and ask for an american bottom bracket and test fit the cones what go on the axle. If the fit, then jobs a good un. Use plenty of lithium high melting point grease.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:21 AM »
I'd be tempted to ditch the lot for some better cranks with a sealed BB

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Yep - you'll be hard pushed to find replacement threaded cones for a caged-ball LHD crank. Do what Pickle says and splash some cash on a secondhand pair of Profiles or (dare I say it) Redlines. You can pick em up on eBay for around the £50 mark with bottom bracket.

Only problem is is you want em LHD. You can get em, but they'll be more expensive than the RHD counterparts - just get a RHD pair, flip em and then swap your pedal cages over.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline cozi70

• Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:09 AM »
Cheers folks for the input.
I'd tend to agree with the comments about getting a sealed bearing arrangement sorted.
Think I have a cheap solution to the current problem though,just to get this lad back out again.
I've purchased the standard one piece BB(£6),which looks ultimately identical,and I'll lathe out the new bigger  cones internal threads and tack it on as the adjustment is from the other side,and I can reuse that undamaged internal part along with the new bearings and cups.

Can anyone advise/direct me on going down the sealed bearing/new crank route,or possibly just transforming it into a one piece assembly. Will one piece require new pedals and sprocket?

Cheers

Colin J

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:18 PM »
love to see a pic of youre swap  8)

Can anyone advise/direct me on going down the sealed bearing/new crank route,or possibly just transforming it into a one piece assembly. Will one piece require new pedals and sprocket?

... think so, yeah - "Multi-piece cranks have a 9⁄16-inch (14.2875 mm) hole with 20 TPI (a diameter/pitch combination fairly unique to this application). One-piece cranks use a 1⁄2-inch (12.7 mm) by 20 TPI hole."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal).

...with the spider/disc ... beats me  "help"

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 12:30 PM »
You'll need 1/2" axle pedals for a one piece. You wouldn't need a new sprocket though as they're standard - they'll fit 1 or 3 piece cranks.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2002 haro shredder lhs bottom bracket needed.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx