gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Formos mx 1000's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Formos mx 1000's  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Formos mx 1000's
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Ok so I managed to get 2 sets of nos Formos  mx 1000's in blue  . These seem to be by far the closest copy of the dia compe original & much nicer than the re pops so I've decided to use them for a little project. The mx logo is embossed like the originals But the white paint that overlays this is not too well applied in to the recess. My plan was to remove the white paint & add an mx sticker in to this recess for a cleaner look.

I know that whatever metallic  (dia compe calliper)  you have they are anodised but has anyone stripped a Formos calliper ? I guess I'm hoping that they are anodised & not painted so that the blue finish does not come off when I try to remove the white (MX) paint .

If anyone has stripped one of these could you let me know how you did it as i dont want to damage the (blue) finish if indeed it it a painted application.  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:04 PM by Funkyworm »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Formos mx 1000's
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Me too, I would rather have these anyday than repop DC   :)

I've got some Chang Star in gold with embosed MX and quick release. Gold is not as nice as dia compe but still good. Also some silver Lee Chi with embosed MX but no quick release.  The formos blue looks spot on though. :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 04:06 PM »

I've got some Chang Star in gold with embosed MX and quick release. Gold is not as nice as dia compe but still good. Also some silver Lee Chi with embosed MX but no quick release.  The formos blue looks spot on though. :daumenhoch:

Has any of the finish chipped or come away to suggest they might have been painted ??

leehunt1

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:10 PM »
I think trying to remove the white without damaging the blue is going to be very difficult..?

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 04:54 PM »
I think trying to remove the white without damaging the blue is going to be very difficult..?

As long as the caliper is annod & the mx logo is painted the paint stripped shouldn't touch the caliper

leehunt1

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 05:58 PM »
I would just get the whole bike done then you may not be to bothered about a little detail
 :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Definitley original anno finish, no flaking paint.

Has any of the finish chipped or come away to suggest they might have been painted ??

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 08:57 AM »
What about getting hold of an engraving machine and using that to carefully remove the white paint?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Formos mx 1000's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx