gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 09:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's the crack??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's the crack??  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
What's the crack??
« on: July 04, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Why is Rad so dead these days? I see so many members and guests logged on but not much happening. There's a handful of people making posts etc etc and even BOTM was a bit of a let down, IMO (not build wise but the amount of entries)  :(

I know MK is around the corner but it has never been this quiet. Is it money? Do people not have it anymore and feel staying away from here helps them to not get pulled into buying something??

Even the Museum and RB has quietened down with Rewind becoming virtually non existent  :shocked:

What's your opinions guys   ???
BANNED

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
Re: What's the crack??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 02:47 PM »
i think the crash has had something to do with it

not all members have come back, lots of mid schoolers seem to be missing, maybe  they realized there is life outside of rad and are still running free :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 03:17 PM »
I thought that too Terry,its tumbleweed town,its like rewind :2funny:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 03:35 PM »
I thought that too Terry,its tumbleweed town,its like rewind :2funny:

maybe its a conspiracy - wheres jimmyp when you need him  ;D

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 03:40 PM »
many are still trying to log into their old accounts  :D

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:49 PM »
... or its the unhealthy influence of the babes-thread since steve took over  ;D

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 04:28 PM »
70 views and 5 replies too  :laugh:
BANNED

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Can't be bothered  :-\

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 04:43 PM »
I think in my case I'm not as active cos of the crash (loosing PMs that meant a lot and all me posts ) have made me loose momentum and also cos I'm suddenly brassic bleedin skinteroo... (I can't even afford a set of repop ame rounds :'( let alone finish my Bob Haro Replica ) so it's hard to get excited about stuff for sale or lovely new builds.....

I am really looking forward to RADTOR, MK13 and Blackpool and maybe this is another explanation for the lull..... the rides and events really are great fun and the lads I've met in person are all top blokes... what I'm trying to say is that the "real" RAD bmx  events are so much better than just "cyber" chatting. 
Seeing 50 old blokes on beautiful old bmx bikes riding down the high street is just magical  :4_17_5: and hilarious  :LolLolLolLol:

Crazy prices haven't helped both on here and the bay :2gunsfiring_v1:

I commented to someone at Chester too that the quality and prices in the "for sale section" seems to have declined rapidly in the last 6 months as well...?

just some personal ideas....anyone agree or feel the same ?
Ant

"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 04:57 PM »
I'm here  :crazy2:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 04:59 PM »
im still getting used to the new site tbh.
some sections iv'e not even looked in yet  :-\.
while it was down i joined a few different sites that i go on more than here now.
perhaps others have done the same.
you know us brits dont like change. but iv'e thought the same about the amount of posts thats on here now. does seem very quiet.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 05:10 PM »
im still getting used to the new site tbh.
some sections iv'e not even looked in yet  :-\.
while it was down i joined a few different sites that i go on more than here now.
perhaps others have done the same.

not swingers sites again Dave?? :P
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 05:12 PM »
... any recommendations ?

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline munners

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Coming from a member that hasn't been on here for donkeys i feel that i can add my two pennies worth.

What i loved about rad was buying parts. I haven't bought anything for ages. Years in fact. The other night i spent ages looking through the old for sale threads. I was amazed at how little there is on here now. It seems everyone is either hoarding or there genuinely is nothing for sale.

I remember the days (sound old!) when the for sale section in the week nights used to be full of awesome parts. Battling the likes of JT, Monkeybiscuits, Radman and Bananaman for THAT part. It really was a case of blink and you miss or snooze you lose. The prices were still high back then but it seems that there was more money around for sure.

I wouldn't dream of spending the money on bmx like i used to. Is it because i am more cautious or is it because i cannot see the value when other things take priority? If something nice came up i would be tempted, as i have got the bug and visiting the site only increases my urgings but to spend what i used to just seems crazy. I probably would prefer to buy something else but maybe this is because i have done the old skool bmx ''thing''. Who knows?

On to the site. It seems the site members are all still logging on. Loads of new members too which is positive. It is mad to see that i have been away for a good 2 years and the same people still log on. What was i doing for 2 years? Time flies. The site is still the best out there for os bmx. Probably because i spent ages on it and i am used to it more? I think it needed sprucing up.

Give it time and members will always return. It is great that i was allowed back however I am shocked to see the other banned members not posting....weird.

I think the question is how long as os bmx got left? It's all been done. We have seen it all and we have had it all. We are also getting older and skinter. Rad will probably become more of a site for friends to visit with the bmx theme taking a back stage. Only my opinion but thats what i feel after a long time away. Or it needs a lot more parts to be made available by you devious hoarders!!! >:D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:07 PM by munners »

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 06:11 PM »
I think you are right about the for sale section,the parts you need so rarely come up these days and im not talking about your esp stem etc but your blue kashi aero or red Oakley b2's,things like that,your basics,they are getting so hard to get hold of.i think there are so many people into collecting now that its created a shortage of parts,ive been collecting 5 years and in that time I can honestly say ive only shifted tittle tattle largely not desirable stuff with the exception of my 83 gt pro that offloaded at easter.i must still have at least 90% of the things ive collected the since 08
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

griff

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 06:27 PM »
maybe there are people struggling to get past the security question/numbers
I was OK with NOS, but reading those characters was a bit difficult (had to wait until I was on my pc and could click on the audio button to hear what they were)

Offline Jaypeg

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 06:29 PM »
I think maybe it's to do with rad being down for such a long time that we ended up being better lovers , so now they want attention all the time because they got used to it.

Maybe people are hoarding ready for mk13

Could be that people like to read more then they write.

Fook knows!

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I think this post isn't going to win me any friends...

In the past few years that i've been on RAD i've witnessed the site slowly derail. Before it fell over I was noticing that the majority of posts had nothing to do with BMX, it was either babe of the day or "my worst shag" and other unrelated bollocks, worse was the proliferation of opinionated posts littered with negativity and hatred - i'm not for a second criticising peoples opinions but none of it I would describe as RAD and certainly not fun.  Personally I come on here to enjoy myself and to escape into the hobby however, most of what gets posted is irrelevant.

Myself and a few others have started to populate the new site with our old builds or photos showing various parts which is great, if more people joined in then it would stimulate more interest, but you have to stoke a fire to make it burn, not just sit there and hope it'll happen.

The other thing i've noticed is that i've had PMs from newer members asking for advice on parts and prices as they're too afraid to list a part in case they get shot down in flames by some of the long term members (of which i'm not) - that isn't healthy. We have to remember that we all started somewhere and arrogance will certainly not energise this hobby - more kill it.

If someone builds a bike, celebrate the effort don't pick holes in it. We learn and refine as we go, but thats motivated via encouragement and improved with the knowledge of others.  Knowledge is a gift that should be shared, not a throne to sit on.

So people share your builds, list your parts in the threads be it a Dicta freewheel or 1st Gen Campy Skyways, lets give those guys over on the Museum a run for their money!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:19 AM by Jaan »

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 07:04 PM »
^^^^^

can't argue with that.

I don't sell much to be honest and i aint bought from RAD for a long long time.......but a newish RAD member PM'd me a few days back asking for something i had which i probably wasn't going to build. We agreed a price and the frameset, bars and a load of freebies is on it's way to another new member who's about to get in to the hobby, hopefully he'll stay and build some corking rides and do a better job than i could.

Me...... can't see me doing anymore unless i pick up a DB senior Pro for the right money so i'll probably bid you farewell after MK, it's been a good 7 years but it's coming to an end.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I think this post isn't going to win me any friends...

In the past few years that i've been on RAD i've witnessed the site slowly derail. Before it fell over I was noticing that the majority of posts had nothing to do with BMX, it was either babe of the day or "my worst shag" and other unrelated bollocks, worse was the proliferation of opinionated posts littered with negativity and hatred - i'm not for a second criticising peoples opinions but none of it I would describe as RAD and certainly not fun.  Personally I come on here to enjoy myself and to escape into the hobby however, most of what gets posted is irrelevant.

Myself and a few others have started to populate the new site, with our old builds or photos showing various parts which is great, if more people joined in then it would stimulate the interest more, but you have to stoke a fire to make it burn, not just sit there and hope it'll happen.

The other thing i've noticed is that i've had PMs from newer members asking for advice on parts and prices as they're too afraid to list a part in case they get shot down in flames by some of the long term members (of which i'm not) - that isn't healthy. We have to remember that we all started somewhere and arrogance will certainly not energise this hobby - more kill it.

If someone builds a bike, celebrate the effort don't pick holes in it. We learn and refine as we go, but thats motivated via encouragement and improved with the knowledge of others.  Knowledge is a gift that should be shared, not a throne to sit on.

So people share your builds, list your parts in the threads be it a Dicta freewheel or 1st Gen Campy Skyways, lets give those guys over on the Museum a run for their money!  :daumenhoch:
you should get on some of the Arsenal forums Jaan,there aint no love lost there,pure hate in many cases,and that's for each other,everybody says what they think,RAD is a pure love in compared to them :smitten:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Online oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Was thinking exactly the same the other night Terry. I was hoping the relaunch might give the site a bit of a boost but as Chris was saying, the only threads that seem to be popular these days are the duff ones about non bmx stuff. I thought things may pick up once the weather got better but as you say its quiet on the museum too and they dont have the 3 dry days for riding that we usually get of a summer.

I guess you cant force the issue and it would be great to see the site buzzing but it may just be a combination of good parts drying up and people outgrowing old school. There is only a certain age band that will have been around in the 80's and also going through their mid life crisis. Maybe that explains the growing interest in mid school.

At least old school should start becoming more affordable if that is the case  :LolLolLolLol:

Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33 PM »
The Sun is out :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40 PM »
The Sun is out :daumenhoch:

This.

Happens every year about this time dunnit? Agree with Tezzer though, it's a bit quiet, but that's to be expected with a site re-launch after a bit of down-time.

And yeah, this is a very, very tolerant forum compared to most out there on 'teh internetz', other bmx sites included *cough*
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Great feed back guys, just what I was looking for really. Thanks for that too Chris, my sentiments entirely. The old 'lounge' was the most used section after bmx chat and was full of threads which I feel do not make Rad.

Keep it coming guys, it's good to hear what you feel about old school bmx and where you think it's heading  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 09:01 PM »
If Im perfectly honest Im struggling to get my head around the new forums on here. It seems like each section has double the number of sub forums, and some things that were combined have now been split into further categories. Im sure if I took the time to go through it all Id figure it out easily enough, but the new forum does seem a whole lot more complicated then before. Personally Im not always sure where I should be posting certain things, so I tend to just not bother. For example, where do I post some pics of a build? Tech and restoration? Mid school bikes? Flix pics n chat? My simple mind is struggling to figure it out.

I still love it in here though. (insert bumming comment here)  :LolLolLolLol:
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's the crack??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx