gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  polishing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: polishing  (Read 1583 times)

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
polishing
« on: May 24, 2013, 08:57 PM »
been polishing a powerdisc for ages and cant get rid of the tiny fine scratches,any tips people?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: polishing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Pm Bendy, he's ya man. :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:05 PM »
cheers Dan.

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09 PM »
anyone else,want to get it finished in the morning before i do me chores.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:10 PM »
The proper way to polish an item and get rid of the scratches is to initially use finer and finer grades of wet and dry paper, I go through the grits up to about 2000 grit.  Then I put it on the bench polisher and use 3 grades of mop, this will produce a mirror shine with not scratches.

It does take a lot of effort and time to do it right though.

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:49 AM »
sorry very ill at the mo but will try and answer if I can  :-[

If you start of with a harsh coarse low grade sand paper/wet/dry - then you will put more line into that is needed - the common thinking is that less work is to use some thing to take it off quicker - in fact you need to start low and with a higher grade paper - it will take longer but you will get better results and wont have to work on any more marks you may put in ?

if you are using a bench grinder on polishing up the disc - on the mop will be particles of dirt and metals and used polish - this will mark the surface no matter how much you keep going over it

next try Peek by hand - clean cloth and a bit of time - just work it well and then keep going till it shines

then use a Goddards cloth to buff up and then a yellow duster

- so don't go to harsh when sanding
- use clean wheel mops when polishing
- take time to keep going when hand polishing - the longer and more time you take, the better it will be

it's not a simple quick game for the best looking stuff - take you time and have clean work parts to use

cheers B  :-[
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:49 AM »
think its the wheel mop,its covered in crap.i'll get the blow torch out and clean it up.cheers fellas.

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:33 AM »
how bad are the scratches? when you get it to the point where you can see your face in it,it is very hard to not scratch it !!! you can even scratch it by using lime powder with a soft cloth to clean off polish residue  :(

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 11:33 AM »
or just get some fresh mops and keep the old for harder jobs

but do try peek by hand in the end as well  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 12:12 PM »
got some peek,think i need a new mop head.got a good mirror finish just the scratches are quite noticeable.

leehunt1

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Lots of rapid right hand action required, were's Beard..??

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Probs polishing his forebrow.  :D

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04 AM »
if you are talking about the very faint fine lines, they're called drag lines, what you need is a fat bar. we use bars of(sheep) fat to stop the mop making drag lines. It's very normal to get them, you can use brasso and some elbow grease, you really have to rub with the brasso, simply applying a bit a buffing off won't work. But tbh, i'd stick to the fat method. You end up with a cloudy looking pices, but when you wash the fat off, the drag lines are no more.
ding dong

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22 AM »
it's official term is polishing grease btw, and some vienna lime to clean it off at the end would be useful. Just use the fat with your fine finish compound, a little bit with your rough compound wouldn't hurt on ali either. Ideally you need separate grades of mop and different ones for different stages. I tend to cycle them backwards, as in the finish mop works it's way to down the chain to first cutting mop before it becomes bin fodder. a sisal mop for getting the deep scratches out is ideal, then a bunch of calico (stitched and loose flap) for the other stages.
If you are getting tons of black waxy grease, you're putting too much polish on.
Not worth the dosh for one or two bits, but long term in this hobby, a full, ahem, borrowed from work pro polishing kit has been invaluable ;)
I've done this for a living from time to time also although mainly finishing stainless steel above copper, chrome, brass and ali.
ding dong

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 11:28 AM »
cheers J.T. got a new polishing kit the other day and started again.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Tip.
Get some old rags(we use old sanding discs but I doubt you will have endless supplies if them) when you have polished, carefully, that is to say don't leave long flappy bits that can get tangled, put a few layers of rag over say a scraper for example and use this to get the build up off your mop in between hits. Try and keep the piece warm but don't burn your polish.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  polishing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx