gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  D.b Leary turbo crankset.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: D.b Leary turbo crankset.  (Read 786 times)

GREMLIN

D.b Leary turbo crankset.
« on: July 28, 2006, 03:27 PM »
Hi all.  Here's some stages of the resto of my turbo crankset. Big thanx to Andy (funmonster) for supplying the crankset  :daumenhoch:  cheers bud.  Here's how i received them

In good condition, with the usual wear and marks you'd expect on a set of 25 year old arms and plates. Had to think how i'd get them recoated. First was to cover the existing chrome. Second was to have them rechromed and then coated. Third was to have them rechromed and left alone, and getting a Sugino 44t chainring anno'd black, to give a bit of a contrast. Also giving a individual look to them. Lastly what i decided to go with. I carefully sanded the arms (with plates covered to protect the chrome finish on them). Rubbing them right back to get a good key on them. Til they looked like this..

Then off to the sprayers to be coated. He used a plasti type paint in shiney black to coat. With the final top coat being more of a coloured laquer. To give the effect of translucence when the light catches them right. Well impressed when i turned up to pick them up. The end result..

I like them a lot, and some of you may be shouting heathen for resto'ing them in this way. Not quite original. My thinking is that at the end of the day the original cranks are still under there. All it'll take is a going over with paint remover, then off to the chromers to totally strip and then redo in nice new blinging chrome. Job done. But my way means the coating will take a hell of a bashing before it even thinks about lifting away from the arms. And in black because i wanted it to stand out from the frame and the chrome plates, as well as being slightly different to others out there.   What do you think?  Gav.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:31 PM by GREMLIN »

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: D.b Leary turbo crankset.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 03:59 PM »
looks good tome mate
as it says build em as you want they is ures lol

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: D.b Leary turbo crankset.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 04:06 PM »
 :shocked: :shocked: :daumenhoch:nuf said

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  D.b Leary turbo crankset.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx