gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  RIP... Mr Arthur Woods
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: RIP... Mr Arthur Woods  (Read 4571 times)

mike pardon

RIP... Mr Arthur Woods
« on: July 18, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Alans Woods dad has just passed away. i think it would be best if i just post some words from alan regarding his dad and a brief outline of the life he led.

Arthur Woods
1930-2006

As much I knew this was coming, it doesn't make it any easier to write. Arthur passed away in the early hours of morning on Thursday 13th July, the official cause of death was motor neuron (which he had been diagnosed with for many years) & pneumonia. He had been in hospital for about a month. Here is a little bit about him, purely from my own perspective.

Speedway
Not everyone knows this but Arthur was a top Sweedway rider who rode for Belle Vue in the 40's and 50's. As he was in the Army at the time so he rode under the pseudonym of Louis Lawson. In 1949 he finished third in the World Championship:

"The big event of the year was of course the re-introduction of the World Championship after 10 years, the British Riders' Championship having provided three very good substitute events in 1946, 1947 and 1948. The story of the 1949 final is now a proud part of English speedway history, Tommy Price became the first Englishman to win the title, Jack Parker and Louis Lawson filled the 2nd and 3rd places for an England 1-2-3. The final certainly created some interest for the capacity 93,000 crowd who found tickets as hard to obtain as F.A. Cup Final tickets, such was the popularity of speedway in 1949".

Work
Arthur ran a Haulage and Breakdown Recovery business in Lowton, Lancs and then at Stephen’s Way Wigan. Certainly not fazed at a career change, he fancied a hotel and after almost buying one in Scotland, he took on the Globe Hotel in Whitehaven, Cumbria. I guess this didn’t work out as about a year later we were hauled back to the North West where he tried his hand at running a Fish and Chip shop. He finally settled at his car repair garage in Hindley which ran until his ‘retirement’ in the late 80’s.

Schoolboy Motocross
At the end of 1975 we saw a piece on Schoolboy Motocross in a national newspaper and he encouraged me to find out more. From what I remember we got ahold of Ralph Venables’ book 'Schoolboy Scrambling', knowing no-one in the sport we headed to Doug Hacking's in Bolton, bought a Kawasaki KM90 trail bike with the lights removed and I learnt to ride it the next day. One week later we did our first race with North West Schoolboys at a track in Nantwich. From then on we raced almost every weekend from 1976 to the beginning of 1981.

BMX
Towards the end of 1980 we became aware of BMX. He contacted Peter Lee (father of John) and helped to launch the Chorley track in 1981. In 1982 Arthur became chainman of UK BMX, a representative of the IBMXF, and ran the association from his premises in Hindley. Around the same time he campaigned for and built almost single-handedly the famous track at Three Sisters, Ashton in Makerfield. This track went on to hold National event every year until the early 90's and hosted a round of the Channel 4 televised Kellog’s BMX series in 1984 and there are currently moves afoot the get the track rebuilt to it’s former glory.

Motocross again
By the mid 90's there became an increasing amount of interest in older motocross bikes, both restorations and racing them as well. This suited us down to the ground, and I think these were the times I look back on with the fondest memories. He loved working on the bikes and he did such a great job he restored a number of bikes which we sold on - mostly YZ's and CR's, the majority of which are being raced at Vintage motocross events to this day. His attention to detail was amazing, he was able to build his own wheels and did all his own painting and engine work.

Helping others
Arthur helped so many people in so many ways without ever thinking about recognition or reward. Countless people came to for his advice and his engineering knowledge. He will be missed.

Funeral details
WIGAN CREMATORIUM
CEMETERY ROAD INCE WIGAN LANCASHIRE WN3 4NN
01942 866 455
1.30pm Thursday 20th July

respects to the woods family from all......

rom_kid_04

Re: RIP... Mr Arthur Woods
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:28 PM »
r.i.p

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Condolences and best wishes to Alan and his family. Always a very sad time, even when it's anticipated.

rudhallrascal

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:32 PM »
Condolences to his family R.I.P.

DR VINOAH

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 06:37 PM »
arthur will be sadly missed

our thoughts are with the woods family

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Terrible news.

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:46 PM »
arthur has served me gear for years bmx stuff skateboard gear bauer skates i remember going to there shop at hindley mill la before they moved to wigan i still have stickers from that shop he always ran the shop when alan wasnt around .

R.I.P

MR A WOODS  
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Sad news and my thoughts are with you and Yours Alan

RIP Arthur

Rich

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 08:17 PM »
Alan,sorry to hear the bad news,my thoughts are with you.

Regards Dave Brick

ronnie360

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 08:20 PM »
r.i.p mr woods thoughts with his family

muttley

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:47 PM »
My condolences Alan, my thoughts are with you and your family.

R.I.P Arthur.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 09:08 PM »
My thoughts are with you all, a true gentleman..R.I.P.
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Bren Gunn

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 10:39 PM »
Our thoughts are with you.

Bren.

Jazzchimp

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 10:53 PM »
Very sorry to hear that news Alan. Must be a very difficult time. My thoughts are with you.

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 11:04 PM »
God bless ! and good night !! thoughts with alan and his  family at this very sad time ....... lee

hotshotjane

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Our condolances to Arthurs family.He was a truly great man who inspired many from the early bmx days until the present. The pioneer for Robinson Bikes in the UK. A comfort is that he is with the Late Chuck Robinson who I know had great respect for Arthur and his family.

No words can describe what the woods family are going through but to know that Arthur was loved and respected in the BMX world must make them very proud to be a part of his life.

God bless.

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear this news.  Although I haven't spoken to Arthur for some years, he has often been in my thoughts.  He appears many times in our photos and cine film, and I have very fond memories of him.

R.I.P. Arthur, you will always remain in my thoughts.  The memories I have of you, you will always make me smile.  God bless you and sincere condolences to your family.

Lou

Oldschool rider

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Our thoughts are with alan and his family R.I.P.

Alan Woods

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Can I just say how touched I am by your kind words and flowers from the oldschool community, my mum was here tonight the day before the funeral, and we read through your posts. Again many thanks, Arthur would have been chuffed you all remembered him so fondly. Thanks again.
Alan.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 09:39 PM »
my thoughts are with you and your family Alan.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 09:59 PM »
Alan ,

My thoughts are with you & your family at this time .

R.I.P. Arthur

Matt

retrogeezer

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 10:09 PM »
Really sorry to here this sad news Alan.....sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 11:16 PM »
Sad news, condolences to Alan and his family at this trying time.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

mike pardon

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 12:00 AM »
Its hard to know what to say about Arthur,

he was my first point of contact on entering the bmx emporium that was Alans in Hindley when i was a 14 year old boy on my dinner break from school. Me and my mates Dave Westwell, Andy Bennett used to go and gaze through the window and drool over the fantastic bikes in the showroom.

He always greeted us with a friendly "hello" and listened patiently to our clueless questions.

Covered in oil after crawling out from some car bonnet to listen to a bunch of schoolkids ask "what does this do mister?
"how fast can it go?"   

He walked with a limp, and his limp was caused by excelling in a hardcore sport like speedway. I wish we had known this then maybe we could have respected him even more..

I never knew that our relationship would grow to me being sponsored for many years by his son (Alan).  The start of a professional  BMX career which now ends up 25 years later,  again being sponsored by ALAN..

So many happy memories i hold dear, are down to Arthur,  races in Belgium, Holland, travelling all over the country in his smoking diesel wagon.

The races at Chorley and three sisters are always special times. 

His legacy will long be remembered and now iam sure he wil look down from up above and laugh as it heads into the olympics

and shout          "pedal lads pedal"   

see ya later Arthur and thanks for your friendship,

from Mike Pardon
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:17 AM by Pike Mardon »

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 08:31 AM »
My thoughts go out to you and your family at this hard time.
God speed Arthur
Mark

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  RIP... Mr Arthur Woods

gfxgfx
gfx gfx