gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Front brake options for Potts :-\
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Front brake options for Potts :-\  (Read 844 times)

delbert

Front brake options for Potts :-\
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:35 PM »
Hi guys

Help !!!!  I need some suggestions for a potts modified front brake for my 1984 Torker pro X build.
I want to Freestyle this build so I need to have a Potts mod the front end.

The only front brake I have of the right sort of age is a really nice DC MX 900 in black and its all intact and as it was BITD so no potts.
I know I can modify it but not sure I even have enough clearance between the frame down tube and the top of the brake arm.
I have trial fitted it to the frame and forks and it look too close for comfort, just clears but the brake cable will have to be cut really short so it does not protrude and hit the down tube when turned 360.
And above all I don't want to booger the brake only to find the clearance too small to use.

Any suggestions for alternatives?
I think the DC880 is a little to late in date to be an option but then again I can't find a first production date on the internet.

What should I do?

Regards
Simon

deeman

Re: Front brake options for Potts :-\
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 12:48 AM »
Hmmm...difficult one.I have a 1984 frame,which I think I may have aquired late 84 or early 85.All I remember was the 880's had just come out and I HAD to have one, and we(my father and I)travelled miles(Harrow to Oxford)to get one.That is the brake I had back then and the brake I used on my replica of the bike I had.Unfortunately,I cannot remember exact dates of when i aquired the frame and when I bought the front caliper.I am sure you will find 85 dated 880's as for an 84 I couldn't say.It depends on how era correct you want to be!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:09 AM by deeman »

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:49 AM »
dee . how did you post that without mentioning acs ?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 12:59 AM »
DC 880's were first released in 1985. It is probably the best caliper to be using size wise for a potts mod on the Pro X but, the Pro X was designed and built as a racer so they didn't have a potts mod in mind when designing. Have you considered a DC890  ???
BANNED

deeman

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 01:05 AM »
dee . how did you post that without mentioning acs ?

:LolLolLolLol:Don't think ACS never made calipers back then bro!!Pioneered the locking lever though.The Rotor was probably their ruin!! :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:30 AM »

Mx900 is fine for Potts mod and you don't have to drill it out just re- route it

delbert

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 12:21 PM »
Thanks guys must admit my memory of what I had BITD was the 880 but did not know when they released it.

I think that the 880 is the better brake and the better option, imho

Just need to source a black FS 880 now.

deeman

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 12:33 PM »
Thanks guys must admit my memory of what I had BITD was the 880 but did not know when they released it.

I think that the 880 is the better brake and the better option, imho

Just need to source a black FS 880 now.

Good choice,memories are more important than era correctness imo.Keep a look out,they turn up quite often :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Front brake options for Potts :-\

gfxgfx
gfx gfx