gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 01:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Most desirable? Survivor or restored...........
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Most desirable? Survivor or restored...........  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Most desirable? Survivor or restored...........
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Survivor builds for me at the mo. Sooooooo much cheaper if you want to change/buy a few used parts and ya can thrash em about with no worries................... :daumenhoch: These 2 are a lot rougher in the flesh than they look on the pics..........

Now wearing worn out blue/green label Comp 3's and a Zeronine plate.

Having said all that, I've one show build left in me.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:44 PM by Andy68 »

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53 PM »
survivor as bored of show bike as no history behind them as all lost as no scars

Scars could have been caused recently...

But how many proper 'show' bikes are rider bikes? Not many I'd reckon. Only scars they'll get is in transit to be shown etc.

I mean scars on survivors...

If you're still riding it, then it's still part of it's history innit? Remove that history by stripping etc and it's a fresh canvas, not a survivor anymopre so a moot point :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 02:04 PM »
survivor as bored of show bike as no history behind them as all lost as no scars

But how many proper 'show' bikes are rider bikes? Not many I'd reckon. Only scars they'll get is in transit to be shown etc.

I mean scars on survivors...

If you're still riding it, then it's still part of it's history innit? Remove that history by stripping etc and it's a fresh canvas, not a survivor anymopre so a moot point :)

You know what I mean ya bumbaclart...!!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 02:04 PM »
I do like Mint restored bikes with NOS parts on for show.

.......but saying that a nice survivor bike stripped down and cleaned and all parts refitted it still very cool  :coolsmiley: I've done this a few times now.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41 PM »
I lke em all survivor or mint  :smitten: 70;s 80's 90's 00's

Got to be era correct ,for it to be truly respectable  :coolsmiley:

Otherwise you're just being lazy and settling for second best  :-\

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Could'nt agree more Christian, nothing worse than seeing non era correct parts especially on "show" builds.
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 11:03 PM »
What are peoples 'leeway limits' with era correct...?

Retro Rider

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 11:08 PM »

A week here or there is deemed acceptable by me.
I'm not as fussy as some others!!

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 11:10 PM »

A week here or there is deemed acceptable by me.
I'm not as fussy as some others!!

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 11:12 PM »
At the risk of being  :2gunsfiring_v1:

Personally speaking I absolutely love seeing the show bikes............ but..........I need to use my posessions Bike's, Classic Cars, whatever, for me having a show bike would be a magnificent waste, I would ride it in the rain, mud or worse  ;)

90% of my bikes are survivors they all have battle scars and history and I love them more for that, I can bring myself to eliminate the Nostalgia surrounded in those bruises and marks,that said if there knackered I dont buy them, I ve even rubbed re-pop decals to take the new edge off them in the past   :idiot2:

My bikes are not big budget builds or exactly Era correct,yes I look at carefully at the parts and buy the best I can afford at the time, I dont recall as a lad having the big bling I see on some bikes, if I went for red grips or a red seat, I would come out of ALANS with blue or black stuff instead.... :LolLolLolLol:

My main passion are the frame sets, as long as I have the frames that mean something to me and my History in riding and racing bmx thats me Happy...all about Nostalgia for me

Happy days, there to enjoy what ever you prefer   :smitten:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:16 PM by BADDH »
Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 11:16 PM »
For me,  I don't  put any parts on a bike older than the frame set. A couple of years before would be ok but not later IMO  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 11:26 PM »
i like to see a survivor with the old school bikes.
both my keeper bikes are rusty ole heaps but i love em  :smitten:
done the mint show bike thing with just bolting nos parts on in the past but does nothing for me now  :-\.
the 70's bikes dont really bother me neither tbh.
i was riding a chopper or a racer with a set of cow horn bars on around that time.
never seen a bmx till early 80's.
dave the bmxing gypo

Retro Rider

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 11:33 PM »
For me,  I don't  put any parts on a bike older than the frame set. A couple of years before would be ok but not later IMO  :daumenhoch:

I must be a weirdo, it would niggle the shit out of me if a decent early bike had the main organs (crank, forks etc) from another year.
Even if it was just a year out.
But on a 80's bike, I'd be fine with it.
Not sure why?
Maybe it's because I see the real early vintage 70's as collectables and the bikes I actually rode as a kid, more for fun.

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 07:14 AM »

you can tell a original compare to a new show bike ie scars as have one here that was repainted and has marks but look new ,i love original bikes and would love to find more original trickstars as only have 2 in original colours but sadly nearly every trickstar i see has been repainted ,some i understand as paint gone or repainted in wrong colours .   
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 07:25 AM »

Really ????? Bitd it was all about moving forward, a new part came out and you had to have it, can't remember thinking I must get a 2year old part and put it on my new frame

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 11:16 AM »
i used to be the same. Anything new or better was bought and off went the old.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I honestly don't think ,currently stateside,correct year parts are mega hard to find.

think your wrong there dude, i could write a list of parts and frames that probably dont exist anymore.... ive been looking for particular GT and DYNO  stuff for the last 5 yrs and still cant find them in the u.s, took me 2 years to find a gt seat with removable bash guards  :( hopefully il find the parts and frame im still on the hunt for by the time im 90  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59 AM »
At the risk of being  :2gunsfiring_v1:

Personally speaking I absolutely love seeing the show bikes............ but..........I need to use my posessions Bike's, Classic Cars, whatever, for me having a show bike would be a magnificent waste, I would ride it in the rain, mud or worse  ;)

90% of my bikes are survivors they all have battle scars and history and I love them more for that, I can bring myself to eliminate the Nostalgia surrounded in those bruises and marks,that said if there knackered I dont buy them, I ve even rubbed re-pop decals to take the new edge off them in the past   :idiot2:

My bikes are not big budget builds or exactly Era correct,yes I look at carefully at the parts and buy the best I can afford at the time, I dont recall as a lad having the big bling I see on some bikes, if I went for red grips or a red seat, I would come out of ALANS with blue or black stuff instead.... :LolLolLolLol:

My main passion are the frame sets, as long as I have the frames that mean something to me and my History in riding and racing bmx thats me Happy...all about Nostalgia for me

Happy days, there to enjoy what ever you prefer   :smitten:

quality post !!  :4_17_5:

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 12:19 PM »
after doing a couple of full resto's Im now on with a survivor build. im a bit disheartened with it as you put so much work into it & it'll never have the bling factor of a restored bike...
still, gonna stick with it & see how it ends up....

I used a mix of nos and good survivor parts when building these two up from survivor frame and forks. The end results, in my opinion, were exactly what i wanted in a bike that looked the part and was rideable.  :D

;D

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 12:21 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:    :police:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Most desirable? Survivor or restored...........

gfxgfx
gfx gfx