gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 08:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Acorn Freestyle Mag coaster hub help!?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Acorn Freestyle Mag coaster hub help!?  (Read 1277 times)

dp and Chopper Dude

Acorn Freestyle Mag coaster hub help!?
« on: November 17, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Anyone know the best way to get a Suntour Coaster hub off an Acorn Freestyle wheel?  :-[ The front came off quite easily.

Cheers  :daumenhoch:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Acorn Freestyle Mag coaster hub help!?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:22 PM »
think you'll have to remove all the internal guts first, got any pics.

dp and Chopper Dude

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:15 PM »
It looks like I've bitten off more than I can chew  :-[ Here are the pictures.
The guts:

The outer hub bit looks pressed in

The other side

I've given it a bit of spray bleach and it's in the dishwasher at work. I'm going to risk leaving the metal bit on when I dye them tomorrow.

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:44 PM »
The flanges on a skyway coaster hub are just pressed onto the steel shell, and it has real fine "splines" round it - it looks like it might be the same on those, as there looks like wee splines around the hub flange on that second pic where it is dished outwards - see what I mean?

Maybe a case of (carefully) using a drift to try push the hub through and away from the flange?

What does the front hub look like inside? is there lots of free space inside and nothing that looks like it might catch on the way out?

Brian  :daumenhoch:

dp and Chopper Dude

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:26 PM »
This is the front hub removed:

This is the front wheel with the hub removed:

I'm a heavy cack handed bugger so I think I'll steer clear of hammers.
I got impatient earlier and took it to my friendly local bike shop and they got the nut that held the coaster arm off for me. I don't have the right tools at the moment so I'm not looking forward to putting it all back together again  :-[

deeman

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:50 PM »
I had to do the same,although i was trying to bleach mine.just use a drift and punch it out mate. :daumenhoch:

dp and Chopper Dude

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:19 PM »
I had to do the same,although i was trying to bleach mine.just use a drift and punch it out mate. :daumenhoch:

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. I was going to just leave it in but it started going rusty after a cycle through the dishwasher  :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Acorn Freestyle Mag coaster hub help!?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx