gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975639 Posts in 138928 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 01:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Kuwahara KYZ KY 2 ?? ..... Now built :-)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kuwahara KYZ KY 2 ?? ..... Now built :-)  (Read 20694 times)

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Kuwahara KYZ KY 2 ?? ..... Now built :-)
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 10:29 PM »
I like that a lot, but please pull those bars back a bit, it looks too much like a Burner with them forward like that  :LolLolLolLol:

::)

;)

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 10:41 PM »
You done a nice job there and they are very nice bikes. Had one very similar to that and made an Elliot replica. Lovely bikes to ride the Kuwaharas  ;)

rad_pitt

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 12:23 AM »
 :4_17_5:

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21 PM »
ooooooh

Look what rubbery delights the postie dropped at my house today for the Kuwie     :)       :daumenhoch:

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 08:39 AM »
I like that a lot, but please pull those bars back a bit, it looks too much like a Burner with them forward like that  :LolLolLolLol:

Nice work done , looks real good but those bars forward like that look  :crazy2:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 08:39 AM »
ooooooh

Look what rubbery delights the postie dropped at my house today for the Kuwie     :)       :daumenhoch:

What make/model of tyre is that ? ( IRC ? ) ...........

dannyrobo2012

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 10:53 AM »
you off roading it mate

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Ruddy gorgeous mate, love the new tyres  :smitten:

Offline KeithyT

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Already commented on rb.com but this looks fantastic. Love the KYZ looptails.

Given me a good benchmark once I start polishing the KZ  :coolsmiley:

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2013, 07:25 AM »
ooooooh

What make/model of tyre is that ? ( IRC ? ) ...........

Yes mate NOS IRC BMX RACER Z-1  :)

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Fricken awesome  ;) ;)
hmmm Ive still got the cromo doin nothing....
now wheres that hot heart template i had made ? muhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa  ^"^
WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49 PM »
Just seen this  :-[

Great resto. Love it when all the original parts just get a bit of elbow grease  :4_17_5:
Wanted: Anything MT Racing

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Some pics of the tyres fitted....now just to find some pads  :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:33 PM by cleedubber »

Offline KeithyT

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 03:36 PM »
That looks great. Love the KYZ looptail  :coolsmiley:

monkian

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Man that looks great. Tyres finish it off a treat 8) :daumenhoch:

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Thanks guys.... couldn't resist taking some more in the sun   :D

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Looks great mate with the tyres fitted ;)

Clean

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2013, 05:46 PM »
At the risk of displaying gross ignorance, isn't a KYZ meant to have Z-Rims?  ???

As I am now the owner of a restored factory spec '83 Nova, an original survivor ET Replica, and a Kuwie welded KZ-1, and have done lots of research over the last few months........

I can see the following on your build:

KZ2.5 ET Frameset (note there is no small cable hole in the front gusset and it is looptailed; this is NOT a KZ1, KZ2, KZ3 or KZ4)

Forks? Tange TX500 / 1200?

Ukai chromed steel wheels, Seatpost Clamp, Saddle, OPC and Chainring as those supplied on the ET Replica Model

WIN Stem, Lazer Bars  and KKT Pedals as those supplied on a 1983 Nova Model

890s as per both models, and Tech IIIs as per Nova

I could be wrong, but this bike looks like a mash up of ET Frameset and components, and Nova components; given that the Framest is a T83 this would make sense; a sort of sunset on the ET and dawn on the Nova.  :shocked:

For the record I can find no information about this model anywhere on the web, and Jamie's site is no help either. Am I being super dumb here, and missing something? Thoughts?  ???

I reckon this could be a super rare unknown model.  ::)

Could on of RAD's Kuwie whizzkids please clarify?  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:52 PM by Clean »

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2013, 06:05 PM »
At the risk of displaying gross ignorance, isn't a KYZ meant to have Z-Rims?  ???

As I am now the owner of a restored factory spec '83 Nova, an original survivor ET Replica, and a Kuwie welded KZ-1, and have done lots of research over the last few months........

I can see the following on your build:

KZ2.5 ET Frameset (note there is no small cable hole in the front gusset and it is looptailed; this is NOT a KZ1, KZ2, KZ3 or KZ4)

Ukai chromed steel wheels, Seatpost Clamp, Saddle, OPC and Chainring as those supplied on the ET Replica Model

WIN Stem, Lazer Bars  and KKT Pedals as those supplied on a 1983 Nova Model

890s as per both models, and Tech IIIs as per Nova

I could be wrong, but this bike looks like a mash up of ET Frameset and components, and Nova components; given that the Framest is a T83 this would make sense; a sort of sunset on the ET and dawn on the Nova.  :shocked:

For the record I can find no information about this model anywhere on the web, and Jamie's site is no help either. Am I being super dumb here, and missing something? Thoughts?  ???

I reckon this could be a super rare unknown model.  ::)

Could on of RAD's Kuwie whizzkids please clarify?  :daumenhoch:

Well thanks for the thread bash    ::)       

;)

I have been down a similiar road with this one buddy
I posted on BMX Museum and got a few different opinions....... none of these were conclusive.... hence my thread title with lots ??   :-\

I came across it and it had been stored in a ladies loft for the last 25 years as she thought the bike shop was taking the p**s with what they offered her when she bought her son a new race BMX...... (GT )  it had ET pads fitted to it which she couldn't find.... her son put those on instead of the standard ones...... again couldn't find them.... yes slightly gutted
She did say that he didn't change anything else on any of the bikes he owned/raced.

I've seen a very nice KYZ, and yes that had Z Rims fitted

I really have no idea what the 100% correct parts build is for this bike, as to agree with your post, it appears to be a bit of a mish mash of parts  :-\ ....
After a few pm's with a knowledgable Kuwie guy ( elliot username) on BMX Museum, he said most Kuwies of this era were fitted with IRC BMX Racer tyres.... and they're like the prevebial rocking horse s**t.... so I kept a look out, never actually expecting to find any

If Any of you Kuwie oracles can shed any more light I'd be grateful

I like the thought of it being a super rare model  though  ;D

TBH I was just more than happy to have found such a cracking survivor Kuwie, which just needed some TLC and elbow grease to bring back to its former glory    :daumenhoch:

Offline KeithyT

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I think this is a 1983 KYZ. The only way to be sure if its a true KYZ (which were half cromoly) is probably to compare the weight to a high tensile steel ET.

If you look at a guy called Gooser's posts on the museum, he has posted up the original Kuwahara spec sheet and photo for this model. Just to confuse things even more Kuwahara actually gave it the model name of KE-1 (!) - the original Kuwahara bike was never calked the KE-1 on any product sheet, but this looptail model became officially known as the KYZ, very quickly.

As for parts the original Kuwie sheet and photo did not have the z rims I seem to recall - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=122525&p=2 But of course the now iconic ad from UK mags with the chequered Cali lite pads, snowflake chainring AND z rims as standard is ingrained into memories.

I find lots of conflicting info with early 80s Kuwahara specs, maybe it's cos you could get different options on the Kuwie BMX part kits.

Even the smaller gusset hole absence can be a red herring, some KYZ's have it and others don't.

That's my tuppence at any rate, and I'm not stating it as gospel. I'm only putting it out there as what I've read so far.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:39 PM by KeithyT »

Clean

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2013, 07:47 PM »

Well thanks for the thread bash    ::)       

;)

I have been down a similiar road with this one buddy
I posted on BMX Museum and got a few different opinions....... none of these were conclusive.... hence my thread title with lots ??   :-\

I came across it and it had been stored in a ladies loft for the last 25 years as she thought the bike shop was taking the p**s with what they offered her when she bought her son a new race BMX...... (GT )  it had ET pads fitted to it which she couldn't find.... her son put those on instead of the standard ones...... again couldn't find them.... yes slightly gutted
She did say that he didn't change anything else on any of the bikes he owned/raced.

I've seen a very nice KYZ, and yes that had Z Rims fitted

I really have no idea what the 100% correct parts build is for this bike, as to agree with your post, it appears to be a bit of a mish mash of parts  :-\ ....
After a few pm's with a knowledgable Kuwie guy ( elliot username) on BMX Museum, he said most Kuwies of this era were fitted with IRC BMX Racer tyres.... and they're like the prevebial rocking horse s**t.... so I kept a look out, never actually expecting to find any

If Any of you Kuwie oracles can shed any more light I'd be grateful

I like the thought of it being a super rare model  though  ;D

TBH I was just more than happy to have found such a cracking survivor Kuwie, which just needed some TLC and elbow grease to bring back to its former glory    :daumenhoch:

Sorry, mate; I never intended to bash your thread, and I apologise if that's how I came across.  :-[ I was trying to help identify what you had based on the understanding I have kind of developed with my last few bikes and researching of them.

:angel:

I think it is a rare combination that should be cherished for its uniqueness.  :daumenhoch:

Nice find, and cleans up a treat, whatever it is!  :smitten:

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2013, 08:23 PM »

Sorry, mate; I never intended to bash your thread, and I apologise if that's how I came across.  :-[ I was trying to help identify what you had based on the understanding I have kind of developed with my last few bikes and researching of them.

:angel:

I think it is a rare combination that should be cherished for its uniqueness.  :daumenhoch:

Nice find, and cleans up a treat, whatever it is      :smitten:

I was only messing buddy    :)

Absolutely no need to apologise

Its been a mystery to me from when I first got , exactly what it actually is  :-\
As Keith T says, there seems to be quite a bit of conflicting info, but if there seemed to be more guys pulling towards this being a KYZ.... I really have no idea...

I appreciate your input, thanks for your comments   :daumenhoch:

I will cherish it , it has quickly become one of my favourite bikes     :) plus I just love survivors

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I have no ideas to help identify the model, parts it should have as spec etc etc but, it looks cool and should now be ridden, as a bike should be  :daumenhoch:  but put on some Comp III re-issues before you do  :coolsmiley:

:4_17_5:
BANNED

Clean

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2013, 09:28 AM »
but put on some Comp III re-issues before you do  :coolsmiley:

Given the rareness of the rubber you have found, Terry makes a very good point!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Kuwahara KYZ KY 2 ?? ..... Now built :-)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx