gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seized New U brakes.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seized New U brakes.  (Read 1057 times)

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Seized New U brakes.
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:29 AM »
I recently bought a Odyssey Evo 2 U brake. Prior I'd had a Dia Compe Hombre, no probs, and the ghetto Tektro the bike came with, no problems.

Fitted the Evo 2, lh arm seized. Adjust spring, arm won't return.

Instructions say, you may need to sand lightly bosses, so I did. Arm slid down ok, greased, tightened, seized. Now in this day an age, a brake what costs a lot of beer vouchers should be ruddy good.

Solution;

The bronze/brass bush was too long. So when you tightened up, the bush got locked down before the boss did. So I filed down some bush, whoo err missis  :2funny:.  Now am not saying every Evo2 needs a file job, but, its worth checking on installation of a U or V brake that the bush does not potrude past the boss. Also, check undet the arm where the otherr side of the bush is, and make sure that surface is not finished poorly and seats flat.

Hope this helps.  :daumenhoch:
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Seized New U brakes.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Good You got it sorted  :daumenhoch: Usually it's the other way round & the brakemounts are a bit long.
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Yep - had this myself. Very frustrating. Thankfully, taking a bit of material off the bush does no harm at all.

I've also had to cut the bolts down recently too, but that seems to be related to the new removable lugs. Which are shit, by the way...

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:41 AM »

I've also had to cut the bolts down recently too, but that seems to be related to the new removable lugs. Which are shit, by the way...

So true...
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:58 PM »
I was that pissed they were stuck, I have some Zardoz notwax which is a teflon liquid for ski's even that wouldnt lube em up. This might be a worth while sticky?
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 01:11 PM »
I have that Notwax!

Pure Teflon isn't it?  Works a treat on my snowboard. Needs applying all the time though I noticed..

Back on topic - the bush in the brake is self lubing really as its brass. I always assemble with copper grease regardless but sticky brakes always seem to be a binding issue in my experience.

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Iye, they are supposedly self lubing. I think the problem lies with the top bolt tightening onto the brass bush then the post, locking it up or seizing it partly. PITA
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:54 PM »
That's exactly what it is.

Post too short - bushing too long....

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:57 PM »
 :daumenhoch:
Facebook/Fr35Hair

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seized New U brakes.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx